Bush taking away GPS Technology? Read Here

cachenut06

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpoli...r-disable_x.htm

All i have to say if that becomes a reality i will become furious. This hobby is the greatest one i ever started, and i dont want to have to follow directions to a cache if they take away GPS satalite availability.

A bit of an alarmist are we? Did you even read the article? Bush is not taking away GPS Technology... it specifically states that it is considered critical infrastructure. To take shut down the GPS Sats would be like shutting down aviation... something that was done right after a terrorist attack if you recall.

If/when GPS sats are shut down, it will be limited in scope and temporary... so no worries about having to find a cache without a signal!!

All i have to say if that becomes a reality i will become furious. This hobby is the greatest one i ever started, and i dont want to have to follow directions to a cache if they take away GPS satalite availability.

First of all, you use an explorist, so there's not much more to be lost... :D

Seriously, I'm not sure I understnad how GPS systems would effectively aid an enemy. I suppose if there wasw evidence that an enemy was using GPS technology as an effective aid for their attacks, i'll take the hit for a few weeks/months in the interest of national security.

"Bush also said the government will make the network signals more resistant to deliberate or inadvertent jamming."

Like those pesky leaves on a cloudy day?

--MGb

A bit of an alarmist are we? Did you even read the article? Bush is not taking away GPS Technology... it specifically states that it is considered critical infrastructure. To take shut down the GPS Sats would be like shutting down aviation... something that was done right after a terrorist attack if you recall.

If/when GPS sats are shut down, it will be limited in scope and temporary... so no worries about having to find a cache without a signal!!

As i said, this post can be removed, i had like no sleep, and it does say that it would be shut down to normal people to prevent terrorist activity, but this is from 2 years ago, i didnt see the date at first, sorry for any confusion.

Makes sense to me. Just in case of national emergency in case someone want to blow up your cache that they have the coordinates for by using the very GPS technology the rest of us will use to find your cache. I mean, who wants to find a blown up cache? When the danger's past, the feds will turn the system back on and then the rest of us can get on looking for your cache. :D

First of all, you use an explorist, so there's not much more to be lost... :D

Seriously, I'm not sure I understnad how GPS systems would effectively aid an enemy. I suppose if there wasw evidence that an enemy was using GPS technology as an effective aid for their attacks, i'll take the hit for a few weeks/months in the interest of national security.

"Bush also said the government will make the network signals more resistant to deliberate or inadvertent jamming."

Like those pesky leaves on a cloudy day?

--MGb

My eXplorist did better then 2 Garmins ive had a eTrex normal and a Legend color. Garmins have their problems, but i like my eXplorist. I plan to buy a 60Csx once its been out for a little, but until then ill settle for my eXplorist 500 that works well.

Makes sense to me. Just in case of national emergency in case someone want to blow up your cache that they have the coordinates for by using the very GPS technology the rest of us will use to find your cache. I mean, who wants to find a blown up cache? When the danger's past, the feds will turn the system back on and then the rest of us can get on looking for your cache. :)

Actually if you check out the "Alarming a cache" thread where they want to put a mugger alarm on a cache... I wouldn't be opposed to those caches being blown up :D

Edited by BRTango

Makes sense to me. Just in case of national emergency in case someone want to blow up your cache that they have the coordinates for by using the very GPS technology the rest of us will use to find your cache. I mean, who wants to find a blown up cache? When the danger's past, the feds will turn the system back on and then the rest of us can get on looking for your cache. :)

Actually if you check out the "Alarming a cache" thread where they want to put a mugger alarm on a cache... I wouldn't be opposed to those caches being blown up :D

I know this is a long shot, and maybe this would add to a police problem if a cache was discovered and percieved as a bomb, but id put like a combo lock or a like passcode to open it up and post the opening code on the cache page, just to prevent theft of internals, but if they wanted it bad enough i guess they would just steal the whole thing, but maybe it would cut down on theft of TBs and other things.