Police

I had a brief chat with a young trooper when I was out for a cpl of finds in New Hampshire in Jan. He pulled up with lights flashing as dog walking muggles just left. I had to quickly restash the cache and scramble back to my (out of state rental) car. The Fort parking lot was closed and I parked in the wrong spot. As I approached him he told me he was just about to write a ticket. I told him I was just in for a quick "geocach" and was prepared to explain it. He didn't ask for details...just wanted to slap my wrist. I talked my way out of the ticket and actually asked for directions to the next cache. Followed him out, and down the road. Luckily that park had a big lot.

If you want a good read on police and stumbling across something..check this log! :P

[url=http://www.centralontariocachers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=152

My experience with police has been all positive. We have explained caching to many and I have had several ploice/cachers visit my View Carre' cache.

I will say this , when its dark and you're using flashlights and poking around it sure helps to be a white, middle aged, couple. They shine the light on you, shake their heads, and drive away.

Profiling is alive and well. :huh:

My experience with police has been all positive. We have explained caching to many and I have had several ploice/cachers visit my View Carre' cache.

I will say this , when its dark and you're using flashlights and poking around it sure helps to be a white, middle aged, couple. They shine the light on you, shake their heads, and drive away.

Profiling is alive and well. :(

Love your cache, Bamboozle. You weren't there the time I went to it (I believe our guide was Ken?), so I didn't get to meet you before Katrina blew me up to Kentucky. I was glad to see you were able to continue the cache. Your cache is an absolute MUST for NOLA area cachers and visiters to the city. Thanks for letting us share your view :(

We visited your (Bamboozle's) View Carre when I was still a cop (retired now). Missed Bamboozle. Forget now who the guys were that we met. Good couple of guys tho. View Carre is one everyone should log when in that area. It's a great view carre. We've also logged a few other Bamboozle's caches. Good ones. Hopefully in about 4 weeks we'll be down to log a few more.

Thanks for the caches Bamboozle. Nice jobs on all.

Yeah, this actually happened on my first cache, somebody ran out of their house and took down our license plate #. Nothing came of it, so it wasn't a big deal, but kind of a scare for your first caching experience!

Edited by Matt31

no worry...just in over a year...been stopped 12 times.

Reason...

most of the time I was in cemetaries.... it is already suspicius for the cops to see a car with two guys in it way in the back with the car running

my age...looks like a trouble maker

half of the time...out of the state....for some cop...why would somebody from Michigan be way in the background in Kentucky doing nothing.

I alway tells the truth and show the the gps or the cache if it is close by. Most of the time, they just nod and run down my licease....to see if I have a felon or something. Once...one guy had me get out of the car so he can search it (I think it was an illlegal search but did not want to complain because I did nothing wrong). It was because I was nearby a construction site and it was robbed the day before so they thought I was coming back for more things.

My favorite comment from a cop... from Kentucky

cop "what ya doing out here"

me "walking my dog on the trail" while pointing at my dog in the seat next to me.

cop "don't you have any places to walk in Michigan"

good point....

so...what I'm saying is...GOOD that they asks...that show they are doing their job and if you did nothing wrong, what do you have to worry about.

It happens even at caches that you know have permission!

We're hunting less than two minutes before the rent-a-cop drives up. We explain the game, show him the container, he's underwhelmed... tells us we have to stay there until his LT shows up.

We wait.

and wait.

I recalibrate my compass.

This gets the guard's attention, as he's standing right next to me and all of the sudden I start spinning around in circles.

He backed off a bit. You could see his hands start to tremble a little as he fumbled with his radio and tried to remember what rent-a-cop school taught him about handling lunatics.

Finally I've had enough of this putz, and tell him we're leaving. He says if I do he'll call the real police. I tell him "Go for it!" and he does, gives them my car info and tag over the radio.

Finally the LT shows up, a really nice guy, I explained the game, showed him the hide, he says "Cool, no problem, it can stay there".

He had the chief of their emergency medical staff with him who seemed genuinely interested in the game. Gave him the geocaching.com info and won't be a bit surprised to see him in the game.

The management of this place has repeatedly given permission, but the security force changes frequently and the word doesn't filter down.

My favorite comment from a cop... from Kentucky

me "walking my dog on the trail" while pointing at my dog in the seat next to me.

ME: "Sho 'nuff we do, Suh, but I ain't in Michigan and neither is my dog right presently." :huh:

Edit: spelling "Sir"

Edited by Confucius' Cat

"Huh. I never made the connection. You're a life-saver, the gas to get down here was killing me."

Atleast it was just some mild hassling.