ALARMING cache!?

Ultimate 5

I want your opinion on this. Someone gave me a little thing a while back that your supposed to clip to your belt and if you get mugged, you pull it off and it makes a really loud piercing noise until you put the little key chain back in.... its pretty loud.

Assuming I name the cache "alarming and loud" or something like that (feel free to throw out ideas) and say something in the description about being "prepared to be suprised, not for faint of heart, put key back in its place to stop the madness..." something along those lines. I want to make it so when you open the cache (probably a ammo can) it goes off.

what are your opinioins, and how do I rate it? (other than normal ratings)

thanks!

I want your opinion on this. Someone gave me a little thing a while back that your supposed to clip to your belt and if you get mugged, you pull it off and it makes a really loud piercing noise until you put the little key chain back in.... its pretty loud.

Assuming I name the cache "alarming and loud" or something like that (feel free to throw out ideas) and say something in the description about being "prepared to be suprised, not for faint of heart, put key back in its place to stop the madness..." something along those lines. I want to make it so when you open the cache (probably a ammo can) it goes off.

thanks!

OK here's my opinion... I think it's a pretty lousy idea. Why would you want to do that to someone?

Make it a flashing light or some other annoying thing, but why a loud piercing noise like that?

thanks!

I like it I have a thing just like your talking about but it's for luggage(goes on the handle and any movement sets it off it has 4 switches on it and 3 of them are false) but the only problem I have is not with the person finding the cache is the muggles hearing the sound and looking for it.

Be nice to your fellow cachers... they are your friends... besides, If a cache did that to me, I'd be more likely to drop it and start stomping on it to shut it up rather than spend the time trying to figure out how to shut it off!!

:)

Yea I would too. But it would be a blast watching that cacher do that. :):D

Be nice to your fellow cachers... they are your friends... besides, If a cache did that to me, I'd be more likely to drop it and start stomping on it to shut it up rather than spend the time trying to figure out how to shut it off!!

Yea I would too. But it would be a blast watching that cacher do that. :D:D

Hmmm... good point... I guess if you have a bunch of extra containers lying around, it would be fun to watch people stomping around trying to shut the thing up!!

:D

Yeah id stomp on it until it was flat and never log it lol

if its a cache thats constantly muggle disturbed, id just move it to a secure obsolete location.

I would not do it to be mean, but make it very obvious in name and desc. so anyone looking for a little "strange" could try it out. It would have to be in the woods away from muggles.

I think Buddaman would be the FTF and he would like it! Wished I was at work the other day when ya stopped in at Dear Watson!

Hmm.. rigging a cache to attract attention with an annoying loud noise? This is in my opinion worse than cache owners who purposely hide caches in high traffic areas. Generally a bad idea, even if it is done with humor in mind.

The cache's life would most certainly be short-lived since muggles would certainly be attracted. The loss of the cache, a couple of dollars spent for the materials, (cache contianer, notepad, & swag), time and effort to hiding the cache...

My advice to any cacher who comes across a cache like this, is to find the nearest tool that can be used as a hammer (not you GPS!!!) say like a brick or rock. Apply generous amounts of force onto the pesky device until it the noise stops! Sign the logbook so you can get credit for finding the cache, then take the cache home and re-tool the cache container for a cache of your own!

Hmm.. rigging a cache to attract attention with an annoying loud noise? This is in my opinion worse than cache owners who purposely hide caches in high traffic areas. Generally a bad idea, even if it is done with humor in mind.

The cache's life would most certainly be short-lived since muggles would certainly be attracted. The loss of the cache, a couple of dollars spent for the materials, (cache contianer, notepad, & swag), time and effort to hiding the cache...

My advice to any cacher who comes across a cache like this, is to find the nearest tool that can be used as a hammer (not you GPS!!!) say like a brick or rock. Apply generous amounts of force onto the pesky device until it the noise stops! Sign the logbook so you can get credit for finding the cache, then take the cache home and re-tool the cache container for a cache of your own!

So you are advocating theft as a way to express your dislike of the hide?? :D

<SNIP>

So you are advocating theft as a way to express your dislike of the hide?? :D

Theft? Ohh nooo.. not at all! I see it as *SAVING* a cache from an unpleasant demise of getting muggled and recycling.

However, I do advocate murder, arson, drug traffiking, filing a false police report, nosepicking, speeding, running a redlight, and slavery as a way to express one's dislikes of a hide. :)

thanks!

We had a similar cache in south Jersey, a muggle stumbled upon it and thought it was a bomb.

There was a big stink, the bomb squad was called and "BOOOOMMM"

I guess I get the intention on this one, but it just seems like a bad idea to me. The whole purpose of those "mugging alarms" is to attract attention to yourself when you're being mugged. The natural reaction of most people upon hearing one of these alarms is to go investigate. If I heard one, in the city or the country, I would investigate because it usually means somebody needs help. I know when I'm out caching, I certainly don't want everybody within 1000 feet running towards me to see what's wrong.

I reckon I am over the fence on this one, after sitting on it for a while, and came down on the 'no' side.

A fake snake or spider that pops out is funny to some, not to others.

One local micro would have no redeeming feature (it's a magnetic keyholder under a curbside sewer cover) if it didn't have a realistic cockroach glued to it that surprises folks when they retreive it. The finder's "Eeek" is generally followed by throwing it on the ground.

One local ammo box has a very realistic snake under it - that cache gets thrown down a lot too.

One local ammo box has a huge furry spider that pops out when you open the lid. Since cachers are often sitting on the ground and opening the cache in their lap this one leads to some rapid flailing about.

I think they are funny and enjoyed finding them.

An alarm that screams at me when I open a cache, however, would likely make me want to throw the thing in the nearest river!

There's a thin line then between funny and irritating, and no way to know where that line is even if you know the person.

Unless irritating folks is a goal, I'd say keep the gags to a minimum and the geocaching experience to a maximum enjoyment for all.

Maybe invest the creativity required to scare folks into site selection and camoflauge instead!

Ed

instead of an alarm, get one of the greeting cards that lets you record a message, or plays a song.

if it's remote, and opening the cache caused a voice to say "congratulations on finding the cache!" I think it'd be fun.

my gf got me a birthday card that plays "bad to the bone" when it's opened. I want to put that inside a cache, but she won't let me. :D

Personally I would love it and it would make my list of all-time favorites. Problem is people who have no sense of humor SEEM (based on some previous posts in this and other related threads) to have no sense of responsibility when it comes to destroying other people's property (in this case intellectual property).

That said, if it were my cache I would find a noisemaker that is loud but not obnoxious or 'piercing'. I would also place it in a secluded area where the finder would not attract a lot of attention. Lastly I would be careful about the way its listed on the cache page. Warning people about what is going to happen kinda ruins the surprise and makes it rather pointless.

Its a great idea. Look it does not actually "harm" anyone and the ones who would be "annoyed" or "offended" by something like that really are taking life to seriously to begin with. Its a fine idea. i would just make sure to put it out in the middle of no where so that when it does go off it does not attract local attention and get moggled. What will probly happen is the FTF will crush it with a rock or something.

What a bunch of woosies!

I have an amo can out here with a magnetic window alarm in it and everybody that has found it loves it.

Myahs Cache

It has a on/off switch inside the container and a large note with instructions.

You can't put something like this just anywhere, but in the right location it can be a lot of fun.

Edited by olbluesguy

I found one that had several of those spring-loaded accordian-type "snakes" in it. It was fun and pretty much everyone made mention of some kind of "surprise" in the logs so that no one would have a heart attack.

As far as the alarm goes... I've pulled the cord on one before and it was obnoxiously loud - I'd be afraid it'd attract the attention of Ranger Bob or someone thinking there was trouble afoot.

What a bunch of woosies!

I have an amo can out here with a magnetic window alarm in it and everybody that has found it loves it.

Myahs Cache

It has a on/off switch inside the container and a large note with instructions.

You can't put something like this just anywhere, but in the right location it can be a lot of fun.

We have a local cache that was set up this same way. The siren/alarm is not that loud and it is far enough off the beaten path so you should not attract attention. It was quite suprising and I could not find the on-off switch so I just open and closed the lid when I had to.

Dear OP,

I dont know if this has been metioned or not (I just don't have the patients to read it all...) but what about unexpecting muggles that find the cache without reading your warnings and open it and all of a sudden there is a loud noise... it might make us all look bad and even get yopu in troble with law enforcement... <_<

Have Fun, Be Safe, Go Cache,

Scare Force One

Found a cache with a noisemaker in it once. I think I broke it while trying to shut it up. Luckily a previous finder was along and was able to fix and reset the thing. I loved the cache, wasn't so thrilled with the beeping ammo can on a college campus though. Actually surprised it hasn't become a bomb squad practice target yet, but it was pretty far out in the woods.

Scares are OK, I once found a cache under a rock with a fake snake coiled on top of it... almost needed to change my shorts after that one, but I got a laugh out of it. The fact that I'd seen a timber rattler on the trail to the cache had me on "high snake alert" anyway, so it was a perfect setup for a heart attack.

We have one placed now that incorporates a halloween thunder and lightening sound device. Whats good about this is that it plays for maybe 5 seconds thens resets itself. Cachers don't have to figure out how to shut it off or reset it themselves which i feel will definitely aid in the longevity of the cache. Everyone seems to have liked it and i certainly havn't had anyone say anything negative about it yet!

As far as a piercing alarm sound that a cacher has to figure out how to shut off,,,, that may be a little more iffy. But i think it would probably be ok especially since you are adding hints to the cache description giving finders an idea of what to expect.

I am one of those folks with sensitive hearing that would have a problem with this if I stumbled across it. I'm not opposed to a good gag, but something that screeches at me will be met with harshness. I hear things (especially high pitched noises) that most people cannot hear. Every electronic device emits such a noise. Many of them I can hear. Even the wiring in some buildings emits a tone I can hear. I have developed migraine headaches from sounds in a room full of people, and I was the only person able to hear them.

One funny suggestion:

Years ago, Cracker Barrel restaurants used to sell a little gag that was a 3x3x3" box with a speaker inside. The box was shaped like a little wooden crate. If you shook it or made noise next to it, it would play a recording, *bang bang bang* "Hey! Can you let me outta here?!" Now that is something I think would be funny to hide in a cache, but to keep folks from wanting to trade for it, you'd have to adhere it to the cache permanently.

I also like snakes and bugs and things that jump and all that.

I agree. That would physically hurt me if I came upon that cache with no knowledge. I think snakes jumping at you and stuff is sorta funny (although not my thing, my husband loves them). But the loud noise is over the top and could hurt and upset certain people. Without a disclaimer on the cache (which would ruin the suprise), it would't be cool.

Edited by Ambrosia

The thought of my husband finding a "surprise" like this is priceless...he HATES to be startled. At least he did until he had a chance to stand behind the door and scare me! There is a need to repay that I can see a way how to now!!! I laughed like crazy thru this thread!!!! I will have to do a little digging to see if I can find him a surprising cache locally!!! Then the trick will be to get the kids to let him open the thing!!!!!