Hike of the Month 2007

TotemLake

Ok... I'm callling this hike Out of the Box hike of the month. Instead of looking for a cache, the goal is to hide a cache. I have a spot picked for a hopefully great viewpoint.

Trailhead coordinates are

N48° 40.401'

W121° 36.931'

After hiding the cache, I'm planning on a small stop to try my hand at fishing before returning. According to this year's stats, 19,300 trout were seeded in both of Watson lakes. Fresh water permit is required.

Criminal is planning on an overnight.

For those who must have at least a cache find on a hike, there is GC67EE, Baker Lake Trail Cache.

NW Forest Service pass is required.

Trailhead: From I-5 go east on Hwy 20 to the Baker Lake turnoff and go left. Follow the Baker Lake road for 14 miles and turn right on Forest Service Rd 1106. This will take you past the Kulma Kulshan Campground. Follow the signs to the Baker dam and drive over the one lane road on top of the dam. This puts you on Forest Road 1107. The trailhead is about 10 miles up this gravel road. Forest Service Pass is required to park at the trailhead.

Trailhead meet time will be 9AM, Saturday, July 28.

Great a hike in my neck of the woods while I'm not there to go. The Baker Lake Trail cache can be a little tricky the cords are not spot on so make sure you know the hint. I didn't take it the first time and didn't find the cache until I went back a second time with the hint.

PNT is mentioned in this Month's Backpacker magaizine, and they have a two page ad on the new Bushnell GPS.

Even though we didn't get to see the meteor shower, we did get showered upon. The Perseids event was a great success brought on by Criminal!

Next HOTM is a 3rd attempt to hit French Peak (bookmarked). This mostly ridge hike is not for the faint of heart. There are two other caches listed with this bookmark which are located on the river trail. It is scheduled for Labor Day weekend. Take a day to hike to a halfway point and use as a base camp. Take a day to roundtrip to the peak and decide whether or not there is enough daylight to hike out or wait till Sunday to hike out.

Even though we didn't get to see the meteor shower, we did get showered upon. The Perseids event was a great success brought on by Criminal!

Next HOTM is a 3rd attempt to hit French Peak (bookmarked). This mostly ridge hike is not for the faint of heart. There are two other caches listed with this bookmark which are located on the river trail. It is scheduled for Labor Day weekend. Take a day to hike to a halfway point and use as a base camp. Take a day to roundtrip to the peak and decide whether or not there is enough daylight to hike out or wait till Sunday to hike out.

drat I will have to miss this one.

drat I will have to miss this one.

I'll have to miss it too since I'm hosting an event cache that weekend.

I have what I hope will be a tempting offer for you hike of the month people. I'm cross posting this here to reach some of the die hard back country hikers.

In my communications with the people at Mount Rainier they said

We may also have a sherpa project or two for folks who really like to hike, if you think there would be interest in that.

Let me know if you'd be interested and I'll get more details.

Next HOTM is a 3rd attempt to hit French Peak (bookmarked). This mostly ridge hike is not for the faint of heart. There are two other caches listed with this bookmark which are located on the river trail. It is scheduled for Labor Day weekend. Take a day to hike to a halfway point and use as a base camp. Take a day to roundtrip to the peak and decide whether or not there is enough daylight to hike out or wait till Sunday MONDAY to hike out.

fixed error

I have what I hope will be a tempting offer for you hike of the month people. I'm cross posting this here to reach some of the die hard back country hikers.

In my communications with the people at Mount Rainier they said

We may also have a sherpa project or two for folks who really like to hike, if you think there would be interest in that.

Let me know if you'd be interested and I'll get more details.

I like to hike, but I'm not a fast hiker.

Won't be able to make it on the 29th due to this event.

A Geo-Roast for Square Bear

I'm planning on being there too. :DI'm waiting on a certain somebody to get back with me on a puzzle cache she's been working on to know which trailhead to hit with a turn around time to get to that event on time. I guess I'm the hold up now. I'll post details tonight.

Edited by TotemLake

I'm planning on being there too. :D I'm waiting on a certain somebody to get back with me on a puzzle cache she's been working on to know which trailhead to hit with a turn around time to get to that event on time. I guess I'm the hold up now. I'll post details tonight.

Thwap. :D

I too am hoping to be at the bear event, but depends on having to be at work at 0600 in the morning (hoping to get out of it)...

I'm planning on being there too. :D I'm waiting on a certain somebody to get back with me on a puzzle cache she's been working on to know which trailhead to hit with a turn around time to get to that event on time. I guess I'm the hold up now. I'll post details tonight.

Thwap. :D

I too am hoping to be at the bear event, but depends on having to be at work at 0600 in the morning (hoping to get out of it)...

:D

On a more serious note. I just got off the phone with some news of a personal nature and won't be posting details tonight. I'll try to get the details set tomorrow.

Scheduled for 9/29

Time TBD

Estimated 6 miles roundtrip

TH and parking at N47° 30.016', W122° 1.333'

Wow, I might almost make this. What are the cache goals, and do you know the name of that TH area?

Looks like the TH for Poo Poo Point.

Closest Cache is Paraglider's Secret #2 Micro Style

Edited by LandRover

Scheduled for 9/29

Time TBD

Wow, I might almost make this. What are the cache goals, and do you know the name of that TH area?

Tiger Mountain Poo Poo Walkabout is the bookmark.

One puzzle cache is for certain, the other puzzle and multi-cache are maybe if they are within the distance goal which Hikers Hat Trick # 2 - Almost To Poo Poo Point . There is also a time goal to be back at the trailhead on time to be able to make it to A Geo-Roast for Square Bear!.

Edited by TotemLake

Scheduled for 9/29

Time TBD

One puzzle cache is for certain, the other puzzle and multi-cache are maybe if they are within the distance goal which Hikers Hat Trick # 2 - Almost To Poo Poo Point . There is also a time goal to be back at the trailhead on time to be able to make it to A Geo-Roast for Square Bear!.

We will be meeting at the trailhead at 7:30 AM for a start time of 8:00 AM.

Scheduled for 9/29

Time TBD

I am not sure of a few things, but put me down for a most likely.

Scheduled for 9/29

Time TBD

I am not sure of a few things, but put me down for a most likely.

Things taken care of, I will be there.

Penny was by far the star hiker, I was exausted just watching her. A great hike and even better company. I do wish more had turned out since it's a great way to get to know other cachers better, see awesome scenery and of course, exercise! Thanks to my chaperones, I had a fantastic day!

With everything going on I wasn't sure I was going to put out a hike this month. This month's HOTM will be targeting Twin Falls Lake in the Ashland Lakes DNR (bookmarked). I have read reports of between 3.5 - 4 miles one way from the designated trailhead. Use this cache for the coordinates to the trailhead. Meet up time is planned for 8AM to allow for the 8 mile RT hike.

Edited by TotemLake

With everything going on I wasn't sure I was going to put out a hike this month. This month's HOTM will be targeting Twin Falls Lake in the Ashland Lakes DNR (bookmarked). I have read reports of between 3.5 - 4 miles one way from the designated trailhead. Use this cache for the coordinates to the trailhead. Meet up time is planned for 8AM to allow for the 8 mile RT hike.

OMG!! I'm so excited and honored that ya'll would consider our cache for a HOTM destination. This cache, without a doubt, is our favorite hide to date. And the weather is going to be fab-u-lous!!

FYI - you might want to add this cache to your bookmark since you'll drive right by it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5b-81ae451331a9

Edited by Sassy&Gordy

I heard that cache is full of unactivated coins to be traded up or evenly for... hmm if there are any other gals going along I might have to consider this one. And I want to put my cache that is out there into an ammo can, instead of its lock and lock. It will be my third time on the first half of the trail, so if I can do it... anybody can do it.

Edited by Harriet the Spy

...if there are any other gals going along I might have to consider this

I am considering going (the other geekgrrrl has a theater performance) and bringing the dog.

We live in West Seattle -the south part, so practically Burien. Are we within carpool range of anyone?

I haven't had time to research this. Does anyone have a sense of approximate drive time?

Thanks-

Vicki