Hike of the Month 2007

TotemLake

As an alternative (for those who don’t like the long drive) is the threefer, Lake Serene Mine, The Bride's Booty at Bridal Falls, and Welcome Houston!. The last one might still be under the snow, but I can bring the metal detector. Even if you don’t find the Welcome, the Lake Serene area is awesome this time of year. There are almost constant avalanches that you can hear and feel. I might go along just because I want to explore the mine some more.

In that same area is the Wallace falls SP, that is suposed to be quite good as well. But a backup sounds like it might be needed for sure. Crazy weather this year.

Ok, there's a couple of suggestions out.

I'm requesting a quick vote by all who are interested to stretch their legs to ascertain the preferred hike .

Each of these day hikes has an overnight option:

Boulder River (an easy 4.5 mile hike to the intended camp site)

Bridal Falls (a short hike on a highly engineered trail which means lots of ladders - no camping within 1/4 mile of the lake)

Duckabush trail to 5 mile camp (no geocaches to find, but Criminal is working towards hiding one in the area).

A majority vote by 8AM Thursday morning will be the deciding factor.

It isn't quite the challenge as the French Peak was intended to be, but you can't always predict what Mother Nature has in store.

I intend to overnight to test some new gear I bought, recharge my batteries and commune with nature. Finding a cache is not nearly as critical as the time away from the daily grind is. Day hiking visitors to the camp will be more than welcome. I will also be working on my survival fire craft skills. If I'm successful, I might even have a pot of coffee going.

Ok, there's a couple of suggestions out.

I'm requesting a quick vote by all who are interested to stretch their legs to ascertain the preferred hike .

Each of these day hikes has an overnight option:

Boulder River (an easy 4.5 mile hike to the intended camp site)

Bridal Falls (a short hike on a highly engineered trail which means lots of ladders - no camping within 1/4 mile of the lake)

Duckabush trail to 5 mile camp (no geocaches to find, but Criminal is working towards hiding one in the area).

A majority vote by 8AM Thursday morning will be the deciding factor.

It isn't quite the challenge as the French Peak was intended to be, but you can't always predict what Mother Nature has in store.

I intend to overnight to test some new gear I bought, recharge my batteries and commune with nature. Finding a cache is not nearly as critical as the time away from the daily grind is. Day hiking visitors to the camp will be more than welcome. I will also be working on my survival fire craft skills. If I'm successful, I might even have a pot of coffee going.

My vote would be for Bridal Falls

I'm not going to vote, since my plans are fixed. My intentions are to do the hide at Big Hump on the Duckabush Trail, tent at 5ive mile camp, and then hike out. I'll prolly stop for some fishing at Ranger Hole for a while before I drive home.

Edited by Criminal

So far we're looking at a day hike to the falls and lake. After further communication with Criminal, there is no place to really camp in the area.

Does anybody know of any trail camping sites nearby? I hate the idea of not being able to take advantage of my kitchen pass for the weekend.

That just confirms the decision to not go to French Peak if it looks like that at 2500 feet... :anibad:

Anyway, the current plan is to hit Lake Serene Mine, The Bride's Booty at Bridal Falls, and Welcome Houston! as a day hike. This is a heavy use trail so carpooling is preferred. I'll be meeting (location to be determined) up with SquareBear to drive in.

Afterwards, the current plan will see us heading to Boulder River to camp overnight near your Boulder River cache. This destination is subject to change pending further cache description inspections for a more localized drive.

Sounds like a good plan, but be aware that this is a heavy weekend for hikers and backpackers, especially in the Cascades. The small campsite at the end of the Boulder Trail might be occupied buy the time you get down there so have a plan to make a site of your own.

That just confirms the decision to not go to French Peak if it looks like that at 2500 feet... :anibad:

Anyway, the current plan is to hit Lake Serene Mine, The Bride's Booty at Bridal Falls, and Welcome Houston! as a day hike. This is a heavy use trail so carpooling is preferred. I'll be meeting (location to be determined) up with SquareBear to drive in.

Afterwards, the current plan will see us heading to Boulder River to camp overnight near your Boulder River cache. This destination is subject to change pending further cache description inspections for a more localized drive.

You guys are more than welcome to park a car or two at my place in Monroe if you like. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you coords.

What time do you plan on being a the TH? I'm going to be doing the Lake Serene Mine for my 2000th find. I will be carpooling with Poodleranch, Prying Pandora and Plaidguy.

Ok, finally got this worked out. We'll be meeting at the TH at 9AM.

Overnight plans have changed to Sunset Mine for the overnight stay. Anybody is welcome to join us for the day or the night.

Allanon, I'm going to take you up on your gracious offer and leave my Jeep. SB and I will need coordinates.

I'm looking forward to watching LR find his #2000 at Lake Serene!

Bookmarked

Edited by TotemLake

Overnight plans have changed to Sunset Mine for the overnight stay. Anybody is welcome to join us for the day or the night.

Allanon, I'm going to take you up on your gracious offer and leave my Jeep. SB and I will need coordinates.

Bookmarked

PM and Email on the way to you and Ray.

I may be out of my mind, but I may just do the hike to the LS Mine cache too for the LR 2000th...but if I go I'll probably leave the trail head a little earlier so I don't hold anyone up. We'll see how I feel later.

Bookmarked

I may be out of my mind, but I may just do the hike to the LS Mine cache too for the LR 2000th...but if I go I'll probably leave the trail head a little earlier so I don't hold anyone up. We'll see how I feel later.

Thank you sir!

I hope you do come! As for holding anybody up, this trail is going to command rest stops for everybody I think.

The beauty of group hiking (with this group) is that no one person sets the pace for everyone, Allanon.

michelle

Bookmarked

What the… :laughing:

Every HOM I’ve been on has been three or four hikers, tops. This is starting to sound like the kind of party I can’t resist.

The beauty of group hiking (with this group) is that no one person sets the pace for everyone, Allanon.

I second that. Just ask my dog. When we hiked Colonel Bob with a group of cachers, he made it to the summit about an hour before I did. (The traitor.)

But he waited for you at the top, didn't he? :anicute:

He knew who had the food.

:P

I second that. Just ask my dog. When we hiked Colonel Bob with a group of cachers, he made it to the summit about an hour before I did. (The traitor.)

But he waited for you at the top, didn't he? :P

:anicute:

Yabut if I want to be there when speed demon Cathy finds the cache, either they'll have to wait, or I have to start early...I've walked with these people before...they don't walk, they jog. :tired:

Edited by Allanon

Bookmarked

What the… :anicute:

Every HOM I’ve been on has been three or four hikers, tops. This is starting to sound like the kind of party I can’t resist.

Follow the herd... Follow the herd.... :P I agree this is shaping up to be quite a group. I always want to make it to more of these hikes but usually I have something double booked that takes president. Glad I can make it this time. Anything needed for parking, like a NWFS pass?

But he waited for you at the top, didn't he? :P

:anicute:

Yabut if I want to be there when speed demon Cathy finds the cache, either thry'll have to wait, or I have to start early...I've walked with these people before...they don't walk, they jog. :tired:

not this time, if they do hurry, there will be a good sized group in the back.

But he waited for you at the top, didn't he? :tired:

:sad:

Yabut if I want to be there when speed demon Cathy finds the cache, either thry'll have to wait, or I have to start early...I've walked with these people before...they don't walk, they jog. :huh:

We could just tie a rope around her and me...that would keep her from going too fast. :P

Wow my speeling is badd today. :anicute:

Edited by Allanon

Bookmarked

What the… :anicute:

Follow the herd... Follow the herd.... :P I agree this is shaping up to be quite a group. I always want to make it to more of these hikes but usually I have something double booked that takes president. Glad I can make it this time. Anything needed for parking, like a NWFS pass?

Cache page says a NWFS Pass is required.

But he waited for you at the top, didn't he? :tired:

:sad:

Yabut if I want to be there when speed demon Cathy finds the cache, either thry'll have to wait, or I have to start early...I've walked with these people before...they don't walk, they jog. :huh:

We could just tie a rope around her and me...that would keep her from going too fast. :P

Wow my speeling is badd today. :anicute:

Slow and steady is my motto, although I usually have to remind myself of that a couple of times. Until the down hill part that is, then I have no problem keeping up. I guess sea level is my friend.

This is starting to sound like quite the party. I would really, really regret it the next day when I couldn't walk but, but, it sounds like fun...almost.

Let me check my stock of pain killers.

If'n someone wanted to get a NWFS Pass where would one find such a thingie?

Edited by Recdiver

This is starting to sound like quite the party. I would really, really regret it the next day when I couldn't walk but, but, it sounds like fun...almost.

Let me check my stock of pain killers.

If'n someone wanted to get a NWFS Pass where would one find such a thingie?

REI has them if you decide to buy one. If several of us carpool, we won't need as many. I have one in the Vic.

Here’s my comm plan for the hike;

Driving up I’ll pull up the North Bend repeater unless there’s someone jabbering on it or it goes out of range, then I’ll switch over to UHF common on 446.000 simplex.

For the hike I’ll have Wilderness Protocol and FRS02 pulled up, and have the Vic crossbanding the wilderness freq, input will be on 440.025.

Looks like Rec and T2A are meeting me at my place and we're hitting breakfast in Monroe...probably at Petosa's at 7:30...anyone want to meet us there?

Coords or directions please?

Assuming you come into Monroe on 522 from Woodinville/405, turn left on US2. Stay in the left lane and at the first stoplight, turn left (Union 76 and Blockbuster on left, Denny's and RiteAid on right). Immediate right at Volume Shoes and then straight to Petosa's.

Cache Voted Best Pizza! by GK360 (1/1) N47° 51.698 W121° 58.445 (GCP4DH) is close.

If you meant my place: N47° xx.xxx W121° yy.yyy

Edited by Allanon

Looks like Rec and T2A are meeting me at my place and we're hitting breakfast in Monroe...probably at Petosa's at 7:30...anyone want to meet us there?

So is this were we are meeting now?????

I'd recommend anyone that wants to carpool to meet and park at my house for more secure parking. If you want breakfast too, meet earlier and then go to Petosa's...otherwise, just park and go to the trail head.

There will be at least one spot in front of my house and two spots in the driveway. Park where you want. My car will be in the garage and I'll ride with Rec and T2A.

Edited by Allanon

Well it seemed that everyone had a great time. Glad so many people made it. See you next month.

I'm glad I was able to make it. All evidence to the contrary I did enjoy myself and plan on working on conditioning so I can make another at some time. Right now I am in PAIN! But would do it again.

Well it seemed that everyone had a great time. Glad so many people made it. See you next month.

I'm glad I was able to make it. All evidence to the contrary I did enjoy myself and plan on working on conditioning so I can make another at some time. Right now I am in PAIN! But would do it again.

Me too. It seems a good time was had by all.

Here's a group picture.

Me too. It seems a good time was had by all.

Here's a group picture.

Instead of chasing down a link, here's Allanon's group shot:

3e240ca4-bb82-41c8-9c06-d75fc0ad8e5e.jpg

And then the top of the hill group shot:

26c46844-ba20-46e1-9736-8b70384cb6a8.jpg