Hike of the Month 2007

TotemLake

January 20 doesn't conflict with any events according to the latest Event calendar.

I'm looking at doing a snowshoe hike and currently the elevation will be above 4,000' unless we get a lot of snow between now and then. I'm very interested in starting easy with no more than a 3 or 4 mile RT. I am very open to suggestions.

Failing that, Stevens Pass is the first place I started looking and to toss out a goal to achieve; GCM1V2 - Skyline Lake and GCM1TX - Skyline View look tempting. It's roughly 2.5 miles RT with 1100' elevation gain, so this is a little bit challenging to start off with in a duck waddle.

I'm in.

That being said Mt. Baker is a 300mile R/T for me so I'm hoping that we can set up a car pool to help off-set some of the fuel expense.

That's a good idea. Criminal can catch up with you. You guys can meet me in Kirkland. We can stop and pick up Ray on the way up. I'll let you know if my status on the carpool changes. I may have a couple of newbs coming with me.

Some of us are a bit confused: What is the current HOM on Jan. 20? It was originally Skyline, as mentioned earlier in this thread, and that is what is listed on the Calendar. But sounds like you may have switched to Mt Baker and Grumblecache IV.

Would be great to get an update on exactly what/where for the 20th, and which caches are in the running.

Thanks muchly!

Calendar is lagging by no fault of the owner of the calendar. Bear in mind, the authoritative location for curent information will be this thread as it will be easier to keep up with changes.

The current plan because the elevation gain is easier is Mt Baker. Instead of 1000 feet in one mile, it's 1000 feet in 2 miles. Which I'm pretty sure I briefly explained here.

Meet up time at the TH is planned for 9AM with carpooling encouraged to help reduce costs.

Again, all of this is fluid and subject to change based on avalanche and weather conditions.

Edited by TotemLake

Calendar is lagging by no fault of the owner of the calendar. Bear in mind, the authoritative location for curent information will be this thread as it will be easier to keep up with changes.

The current plan because the elevation gain is easier is Mt Baker. Instead of 1000 feet in one mile, it's 1000 feet in 2 miles. Which I'm pretty sure I briefly explained here.

Meet up time at the TH is planned for 9AM with carpooling encouraged to help reduce costs.

Again, all of this is fluid and subject to change based on avalanche and weather conditions.

Thanks! Yes, I saw your earlier post in the thread, but since there was conflicting info about, wanted clarification. Cache ahead thought the hike was still at Skyline, so thought I'd check, and also see if there was more info on other caches and locale. Thanks again for the info!

Thanks! Yes, I saw your earlier post in the thread, but since there was conflicting info about, wanted clarification. Cache ahead thought the hike was still at Skyline, so thought I'd check, and also see if there was more info on other caches and locale. Thanks again for the info!

No worries. I still want to do Skyline, but it seems prudent to warm up to the elevation gain with a new gait. :D

So... does that mean you both will be joining us?

No worries. I still want to do Skyline, but it seems prudent to warm up to the elevation gain with a new gait. :blink:

Nope, been there, done that. :blink::o

FYI: Cache ahead thinks the physicality involved for Grumblecache IV is about the same as Skyline the Top (which she helped place).

Edited by hydnsek

No worries. I still want to do Skyline, but it seems prudent to warm up to the elevation gain with a new gait. :blink:

Nope, been there, done that. :blink::o

FYI: Cache ahead thinks the physicality involved for Grumblecache IV is about the same as Skyline the Top (which she helped place).

Yah I caught wind of your efforts today from LnR while at REI. So who claimed FTF? (and congrats!)

CacheAhead's assesment is, for the record, spot on it seems. A book called Snowshoe Routes by Dan Nelson, puts this hike at about 5.5 miles RT with 1200 foot elevation gain and rates it as more difficult. The Skyline Lake; also rated at more difficult is 3 miles with 1100 foot elevation gain.

Edited by TotemLake

Yah I caught wind of your efforts today from LnR while at REI. So who claimed FTF? (and congrats!)

See if I ever tell them anything again.... it's a co-FTF, we did it together. And thanks!

:blink:

btw... i added a bit more to my post while you responded. Looking forward to reading the logs!

Edited by TotemLake

CacheAhead's assesment is, for the record, spot on it seems. A book called Snowshoe Routes by Dan Nelson, puts this hike at about 5.5 miles RT with 1200 foot elevation gain and rates it as more difficult. The Skyline Lake; also rated at more difficult is 3 miles with 1100 foot elevation gain.

Clarification: Cache Ahead was comparing Grumblecache to Skyline the Top (the cache made famous by CavScout's effort last winter). She said the Skyline Lake cache was quite easy in comparison.

The route is completely unmarked, and unlike you we didn't do our homework, but there were quite a few folks in the 'out of bounds' area, snowshoeing, XC sking and snowboarding, so we asked a few and found the right routes (don't want to blindly follow the GPS in avalanche country - we ran into a ski patroller who pointed out an area right next to where we were where 3 kids were caught in an avalanche and two died).

The route has a few steep hills, which CA found quite challenging without poles. She was expecting it to be easier, so decided not to bring them. I had mine, which really helped, and I had a great time. The area is lovely, and the clouds parted literally as we found the cache, to reveal a panoramic view, with Mount Shuksan front and center.

Can't wait to go snowshoeing again!

If he was referencing the avalanche of 2004, two of the three survived. I can pull up the Seattle Times article that I read it from.

It was a she, actually. :lol: Not sure what event she was referencing, but I think she was there, and she seemed knowledgeable about it.

Anyway, it was a wonderful day, with no avalanches.

If he was referencing the avalanche of 2004, two of the three survived. I can pull up the Seattle Times article that I read it from.

It was a she, actually. :lol: Not sure what event she was referencing, but I think she was there, and she seemed knowledgeable about it.

Anyway, it was a wonderful day, with no avalanches.

Glad to hear it was a wonderful day.

Avalanche report for Artist Point

Seattle Times article Part 1 and Part 2. The date threw me. It happened December 2003, but they interviewed the survivors a couple months later.

As you pointed out, I do research an area I'm about to go into. :lol:

As for Skyline Lake and Ridge, the ridge is merely 1/2 mile further, but the rating was for both as they are both mentioned on the same page in the Snowshoe Routes.

Seattle Times article Part 1 and Part 2. The date threw me. It happened December 2003, but they interviewed the survivors a couple months later.

Doesn't sound like the same event. She mentioned three teenagers who were snowboarding, and she pointed to a shallow bowl that is not on the AP road/trail. But you'd think that would have gotten equal press, so perhaps she misremembers and this is the real story.

Edited by hydnsek

Doesn't sound like the same event. She mentioned three teenagers who were snowboarding, and she pointed to a shallow bowl that is not on the AP road/trail. But you'd think that would have gotten equal press, so perhaps she misremembers and this is the real story.

Both are possible. They might've put a different name to it like Bagley Lakes OSLT. I found another report for 2006 using Heather Meadows where a Calif man was killed so it isn't unlikely.

Edited by TotemLake

Ray has one maybe coming with him.

That leaves me with one seat for certain to be open, maybe 2.

Meet up time at the Heather Meadows is targeted at 9AM. We are planning on a meet up at Lowes at 7:30AM to consolidate seats as much as possible and caravan from there.

LOWE'S OF MOUNT VERNON, WA

1717 FREEWAY DRIVE

MOUNT VERNON, WA 98273

Radios - FRS 2

PM me for my phone number if you need it.

Again, this is a snowshoe hike! Plan for the cold! Handwarmers if you got em will probably be a good idea. I'll have my camp stove for hot drinks at the summit. Read Hydnsek's log for expectations.

That's too bad. Unfortunately, weekends are all I get off until I can upgrade to my retirement plan. :ph34r:

However, I don't want anybody to think this thread is exclusive to any hikes I schedule. Please feel free to use it as a central thread for any hike of the month you would like to initiate.

Edited by TotemLake

I memtioned some thing about bringing chili earlier but I'm hoping to be able to make it back in time to catch the N48 event in Mount Veron for dinner.

I had thought about trying to make it to that event also, depending on if we gout back to the area in time and since it looks like I will be driving up to Mt Vernon by myself I don't have to worry about what any passanger want to do.

I memtioned some thing about bringing chili earlier but I'm hoping to be able to make it back in time to catch the N48 event in Mount Veron for dinner.

I had thought about trying to make it to that event also, depending on if we gout back to the area in time and since it looks like I will be driving up to Mt Vernon by myself I don't have to worry about what any passanger want to do.

Hope all you hardy snowshoers will make it back down the mountain in time for dinner in Mount Vernon! We'd enjoy hearing about your adventures! We'll try to save some food for you <_<

Some highlights:

The hike organizer:

df9e420f-b0a2-4be5-9689-2f5eca7f73c2.jpg

LandRover and SquareBear:

41cfeefc-79c7-4bc0-9377-1fd55d51e998.jpg

We saw overcast, snow, and even the sun! Once it was snowing while the sun was out.

4403ac5c-80b2-4f7e-8aba-65ae0c6ae252.jpg

LandRover on the Trail

d7b029e4-bbc2-4e7d-b8c6-d85238264839.jpg

SquareBear on top:

766eb3c1-671f-475e-a217-0b681e18ba97.jpg

Me on top:

9fa3d6a0-5b33-4bf6-bbfc-b84f35647c13.jpg

TotemLake on the last push to the cache:

e91882e2-870f-4004-bca8-741ad743e082.jpg

The snowshoers ramp:

b4b615cb-2889-4dc0-a577-c3e3b50f20c2.jpg

Edited by Criminal

Great pictures, guys. And great logs, too! Sounds like you had almost as much fun as we did. :laughing: I'm shocked nobody took Prying Pandora's Triumph Over a Challenge coin, we left it for y'all, and you deserved it!

So, I just nominated Grumblecache IV for WSGA January Cache of the Month. Best cache trek I've done in a while.

I wonder if it will get any votes. It seems like the good ones don't get votes because people haven't done them.

If we can get all six of us who've done it to vote for it, that would really help. And then we just need a few folks like superhoser to cinch it. It is one cool (literally) cache. :laughing:

This hike was a great time, spending the day with great friends can’t be beat. If you’ve been on the fence about coming out and joining us come on out every one always has a great time. Looking forward to next months adventure.

...and I can honestly say, no matter how long it takes you to push forward, the lead will always wait for you to catch up.

Edited by TotemLake

That's too bad. Unfortunately, weekends are all I get off until I can upgrade to my retirement plan. :cool:

However, I don't want anybody to think this thread is exclusive to any hikes I schedule. Please feel free to use it as a central thread for any hike of the month you would like to initiate.

Well my luck has changed on more then one level. My husband has been laid off so I now have childcare on the weekends.

Thanks... so where is the hike this month?

I went up South Mountain yesterday, wow what summit that is..

I'm looking at several locations right now. Mostly, the focus has been centralized around the Whatcom area so I'm trying to find something on or near the peninsula. I'm also looking at the snowshoe bookmark Hydnsek has as a guide.

Criteria for this month are easier elevation gain (than last month's) and no more than 4-6 miles round trip. There's a lot of effort in uphill snowshoe hiking and I'm trying to keep this open to a wider range of skill levels as much as possible.

I hope to have a suggestion out by this weekend. Anybody CAN feel free to pipe in a suggestion that fits the above criteria. :unsure: