GeoCoins, why?

HummerH1

I have only found a few caches, I have just learned of GeoCoins, so what are they and why would anyone want to sell them for a profit? I can see the fun of TB, placing them and tracking where they are, but the idea of placing a object, a GeoCoin, does not really seem to be in the spirit of GeoCaching if money can be made of it.

I have been looking at the GeoCoin forum and it looks more like a "Want Advertiser" to me. It would seem that you could collect the coins without even GeoCaching.

Am I missing the point?

HummerH1

"Those lions are something awful. They chase down cute little baby zebras and eat them. They even have a forum called "The Lions' Den" where they talk about fresh kills, stalking techniques and guest appearances on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom."

I am moving this thread to the Lions' Den.

"Those lions are something awful. They chase down cute little baby zebras and eat them. They even have a forum called "The Lions' Den" where they talk about fresh kills, stalking techniques and guest appearances on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom."

What are you trying to say about us???? :):D:):D:D

I ask a perfectly sensible question and you get upset about it, why? Looks like Flame from a moderator to me.

HummerH1

I have only found a few caches, I have just learned of GeoCoins, so what are they and why would anyone want to sell them for a profit? I can see the fun of TB, placing them and tracking where they are, but the idea of placing a object, a GeoCoin, does not really seem to be in the spirit of GeoCaching if money can be made of it.

I have been looking at the GeoCoin forum and it looks more like a "Want Advertiser" to me. It would seem that you could collect the coins without even GeoCaching.

Am I missing the point?

HummerH1

Yes, you can collect the coins without geocaching.

But I'm not getting your statement about it not being in the spirit of geocaching if money can be made from it. Are only Groundspeak, Garmin, Magellean and all the companies that sell gasoline allowed to make money from geocaching. There are alot of small businesses run by geocachers for geocachers out there working to bring good products to us. I appreciate that. I'm not just talking geocoins either. There are companies that sell caching shirts, caching buttons, all sorts of caching accessories. Some of them might just be making extra pocket money, some have fully invested in the businesses they run.

I just don't get why there is so much disdain for a little guy making a profit, but it is perfectly okay for Groundspeak to operate a profitable business? I think Groundspeak used to be the "little guy".

And this is no flame, I really don't understand why people have so much against profit?

Oh, and you should read the threads of the past week. Many coins were generously given away.

Edited by MustangJoni

HUH??? Sheesh, I must really be dense since I don't get the connection. I do, however, collect geocoins... each to his/her own I guess.

Baby zebras? No I go for the old ones, they're slower! :):):D

Am I missing the point?

<snip>

A geocoin is a special coin created by individuals or groups of geocachers as a kind of signature item or calling card. Like Travel Bugs, each geocoin is assigned a unique tracking ID which allows them to travel from geocache to geocache or to be passed amongst friends, picking up stories along the way.

</snip>

<snip>

Because each geocoin is assigned a unique tracking number its progress can be tracked online through logs which the finder posts. There are different types of logs which can be made on a geocoin's personal home page, whether for virtually picking up or dropping off the coin, or simply for "discovering" the coin. You’ll have the opportunity to share your thoughts on the geocoin page and to upload any photos associated with it. In addition, by logging a geocoin your online collection will reflect that you found that particular coin.

</snip>

But honestly with the reasoning I'm getting from the OP, here is my response. Geocoins are like glorified travel bugs. You can geocache without moving travel bugs: therefore you can geocache without moving coins. If you don't like coins, then just ignore them when you find one. Also what is considered the spirit of geocaching depends on the cacher. You say geocoins are against the spirit, others would say it is in the spirit of geocaching. Groundspeak makes a profit when they sell trackable items, so I see nothing wrong with others selling their own trackable items and making a small profit. Some price coins just to break even, and I've heard of others who sell coins so cheap they actually lose money.

Geocoins have made individuals many great friends through this hobby/trading/addiction. And in some aspects has brought part of the caching community closer together.

Have fun,

stepshep

P.S. This is mostly my opinion and a few clips from geocaching.com, no hard feelings or dislike were meant.

All I am trying to do is understand GeoCoins. I thought this site was all about GeoCaching, so devoting a forum, or part of it to trading something that you don't have to find, you can buy them or get given them does not seem to be GeoCaching does it?

I can see from the recent posts that some have been given away, but have they ever been placed in a GeoCache. Maybe the whole trading thing should be in a seperate site, www.Geocoins.com....I am sure that url has already been taken.

:D

Am I missing the point?

HummerH1

Yes, you can collect the coins without geocaching.

But I'm not getting your statement about it not being in the spirit of geocaching if money can be made from it. Are only Groundspeak, Garmin, Magellean and all the companies that sell gasoline allowed to make money from geocaching. There are alot of small businesses run by geocachers for geocachers out there working to bring good products to us. I appreciate that. I'm not just talking geocoins either. There are companies that sell caching shirts, caching buttons, all sorts of caching accessories. Some of them might just be making extra pocket money, some have fully invested in the businesses they run.

I just don't get why there is so much disdain for a little guy making a profit, but it is perfectly okay for Groundspeak to operate a profitable business? I think Groundspeak used to be the "little guy".

And this is no flame, I really don't understand why people have so much against profit?

Oh, and you should read the threads of the past week. Many coins were generously given away.

I ask a perfectly sensible question and you get upset about it, why? Looks like Flame from a moderator to me.

HummerH1

Flame?? :D

Is this a cross-cultural problem?

Despite the cultural similarity between Oz and North America, some things get lost in translation.

This Aussie just thought Keystone was saying that things can look very different if you change your point of view.

Edited by Bunya

Many people come to these forums to buy or trade coins, not only to keep, but to also place in caches. The majority of geocoin collectors are also the ones placing coins in caches to travel & be logged by others, just like travel bugs. Most of us who make our own geocoins place coins in caches as gifts for others to enjoy & as coins meant to travel and be logged. There are a few who make geocoins primarily as a way to make money, but most of us aren't in it for the money, we just love this hobby/addiction.

Am I missing the point?

HummerH1

:) Welcome to the Geocoin forums! We really are a pretty friendly bunch. Geocoins are esentially TBs. Cool TBs at that. :D Please read more of the logs of geocoin fanatics, as well as the geocoin forums, there has been a lot of good done by geocoin collectors, as well as cachers that just have an affection for them. There are a gazillion geocoins in the wild, and are a blast to keep track of. If you like TBs, you'll love the geocoin aspect of caching. :)

Am I missing the point?

HummerH1

Hi, welcome to the Groundspeak cache cow area, geocoins :D

On a more serious note. Geocoins began as signature item swag for the most part and over the last 2 years have morphed into a shiny and sleek TB. At the same time, they became highly collectible. So while many of us buy, sell and trade coins outside of physical geocaching, we also activate or leave as cache swag many geocoins when we cache. It's a two-sided coin (no pun intended).

you would buy coins the same reason as buying travel bugs. To keep, or to place in a cache.

You dont go to a cache to find a travel bug to keep you move it. Same for geocoins. You find them to move or buy them to keep.

Insted of the word "Geocoin" think "Travel Bug" and you'll see why they exists, it just happens some of us like to collect them as well.

I buy several copys one for my self, and others to place in the wild.

My answer would be that geocaching (and geocoins too) are mostly what you want it to be... and there are many many views on is or should be. And so people geocache for many many different reasons.

To apply this to geocoins, some would say geocoins are just any sort of marketable trinket and selling for $$$ is fine, some would geocoins are part of geocaching a basically free RASH and so geocoins shouldn't be sold for proft $, some would be in the middle where a 'little' profit is ok / or ok if its for a 'good' cause $$...

And you get the same thing with the uses of geocoins... some would say geocoins should be used as fancy TB and are for releasing to travel, some would say geocoins are things you buy and keep like collectiable stuff (beanie babies, bottle caps, etc), some would say geocoins are personalized swag to be released by the owner / or personalized 'trading cards' to be swapped with those others, still others would say geocoins are all of those things (and probably more) at once.

And thus every person does whatever it is they feel the 'right' use(s)/purpose(s) of geocoins are.

I have only found a few caches, I have just learned of GeoCoins, so what are they and why would anyone want to sell them for a profit?

Obviously having only done 11 caches in 18 months you do not share the obsessive nature of some cachers. Thay are into numbers, clearing areas, league tables etc (Obviously the hunter-gatherer spirit is higher in some than others - some hunt, some gather and some do both)

Look at

cacher league tables

to see those who have done over 18 000 (Nice coins made by the leaders too and also by the leaderboard!)

as to swag put in caches there have always been various forms of collectable stuff, mc donalds toys,coins, tat etc. Here in the uk the most collectable is a teddy bear sig item! bear hunting

Coins started in this way but people started to collect them (obsessive nature again) Groundspeak jumped on to this charging $1.50 for every coin that was trackable and adding icons - more opportunity to gather look at the profiles of not just the coin collectors but also of some others

most newbies start seeing geocaching as a sport with rules, regulations etc. Eventually we settle to understand it is a pastime which people play as they wish

Some log their own caches, :D

log caches more than once :)

some make records for others to aspire to

most caches in 24 hours, most counties visited in a day etc :)

we all end up playing the way we want to play and coins are exactly the same, some are released to wander, some are not trackable gifts, some are in collections (Mind you the average collector probably donates more to geocaching than the normal player - Ive probably paid over $500 in tracking numbers in the last year - that is a fair amount of premier memberships! helping to keep the hobby free at the point of access for all to enjoy

Am I missing the point?

HummerH1

Sadly I think so but as I said before it is a pastime which people play as they wish, so maybe you are right and I'm just a sad individual that is subsidising your fun. Either way I'll enjoy caching and meeting people face to face, collecting coins and getting to know the other collectors.

Bob

One other thing the best advice is don't understand the obsession it is expensive!!!!

Edited by Jan and the Percey Boys

Speaking from experience (as someone who’s decimated their savings and destroyed their monthly budget) I agree with Bob. If you don’t understand the obsession with geocoins, you’re not hooked yet so --- my advice is –

RUN !! RUN AWAY QUICKLY !! DON’T LOOK BACK !! IT’S TOO LATE FOR US – BUT YOU CAN STILL SAVE YOURSELF !!

:D:):)

Windrose

Just like caching means different things to differentt people (i.e. a sport, a competition, icon collecting, a numbers game, all about the FTF, a passtime, a means to excercise, a way to gather with friends and family, a treasure hunt as my kids call it, a chance to meet new people, an adventure, way to make money), geocoins also mean different things to different people (i.e. sig item for caching, geo swag, cool TB, coin collecting, icon collecting, an additiction, way to meet some neat people from around the world, way to make money, a way to express your creativity).

In short, geocaching and geocoins are what you make of them! I choose to make them fun for my family. Arguing about what they "should be" only brings negativity.

....Anthus

Speaking from experience (as someone who’s decimated their savings and destroyed their monthly budget) I agree with Bob. If you don’t understand the obsession with geocoins, you’re not hooked yet so --- my advice is –

RUN !! RUN AWAY QUICKLY !! DON’T LOOK BACK !! IT’S TOO LATE FOR US – BUT YOU CAN STILL SAVE YOURSELF !!

:):):D

Windrose

Yeah, what he said! :D

Edited by Team Macha

Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting the onslaught of replies to my question. I like GeoCaching because it is just plain fun and good exercise for me and my son, let alone the "Quality" time we spend together. Sure I can understand the Shiny TB, but by keeping the coins and not replacing them, which must be happening. This is a form or taking and not leaving is it not? As a kid in England I used to collect trains, well their numbers at least, anyone remember "THE SIR WINSTON CHRUCHILL" I did not keep the trains themselves :D but just their numbers in a book. The taking of a Coin and not moving it on is really a form of Muggling, is it not? If I find a coin in a cache then I will move it to another place, if I want to collect coins then I will go to Vegas.

A very Happy New Year to Everybody and may all our troops all come home intact.

Bazzer

:):D:)

Windrose

Yeah, what he said! :D

[/quo

The taking of a Coin and not moving it on is really a form of Muggling, is it not? If I find a coin in a cache then I will move it to another place, if I want to collect coins then I will go to Vegas.

We don't take coins out of caches and then add them to our collection we buy the coin new when it first comes out and put it into our collection without activating or releasing it into the wild. but some people choose to buy them and then release them as travel bugs and if we find one of these in a cache we treat them just like travel bugs and pass them on to other caches. So no one is taking them out of caches and then keeping them (that would be "muggling" or stealing) The ones that people keep have never been released.

I think this may help you understand a little better but if it didn't I am sorry.

The taking of a Coin and not moving it on is really a form of Muggling, is it not? If I find a coin in a cache then I will move it to another place, if I want to collect coins then I will go to Vegas.

We don't take coins out of caches and then add them to our collection we buy the coin new when it first comes out and put it into our collection without activating or releasing it into the wild. but some people choose to buy them and then release them as travel bugs and if we find one of these in a cache we treat them just like travel bugs and pass them on to other caches. So no one is taking them out of caches and then keeping them (that would be "muggling" or stealing) The ones that people keep have never been released.

I think this may help you understand a little better but if it didn't I am sorry.

Yeah, what he said. :D:)

Windrose

Ah Ha, now it's becoming clearer. The buying or trading of Geo

Caching coins that have not been in circulation is just like buying from Franklin Mint. I have no problem with that. But is it GeoCaching? From what I read there are some that might be getting coins made just to re-sell. Again, this would not seem to be GeoCaching.

bazzer <_<

Ah Ha, now it's becoming clearer. The buying or trading of GeoCaching coins that have not been in circulation is just like buying from Franklin Mint. I have no problem with that. But is it GeoCaching? From what I read there are some that might be getting coins made just to re-sell. Again, this would not seem to be GeoCaching.
I asked a similar question recently and it seems there are two hobbies that use geocoins: (a) finding in the wild and (B) trading/purchasing oriented. However, it is not so clear cut as to which geocoins fit in each category because some fit in both. Cachers often put unactivated and non-trackable coins in caches that are keepers. Because of this, some non-trackable coins and gifted coins can be considered part of "GeoCaching" though the coins of the same edition can often be sold and traded.

There are several aspects of geocoins that make it different than collecting Franklin Mint products. First is that many people have personal coins and some collecters prefer collecting personal coins. So part of the hobby is making a personal coin yourself and distributing them which is very unlike buying from the Franklin Mint and more like the MySpace. Many of these are traded and given in caches whereas the Franklin Mint requires you to purchase their products. Think personal websites, blogs, ... geocoins!

Edited by Moun10eer
Ah Ha, now it's becoming clearer. The buying or trading of GeoCaching coins that have not been in circulation is just like buying from Franklin Mint. I have no problem with that. But is it GeoCaching? From what I read there are some that might be getting coins made just to re-sell. Again, this would not seem to be GeoCaching.
I asked a similar question recently and it seems there are two hobbies that use geocoins: (a) finding in the wild and (<_< trading/purchasing oriented. However, it is not so clear cut as to which geocoins fit in each category because some fit in both. Cachers often put unactivated and non-trackable coins in caches that are keepers. Because of this, some non-trackable coins and gifted coins can be considered part of "GeoCaching" though the coins of the same edition can often be sold and traded.

There are several aspects of geocoins that make it different than collecting Franklin Mint products. First is that many people have personal coins and some collecters prefer collecting personal coins. So part of the hobby is making a personal coin yourself and distributing them which is very unlike buying from the Franklin Mint and more like the MySpace. Many of these are traded and given in caches whereas the Franklin Mint requires you to purchase their products. Think personal websites, blogs, ... geocoins!

Yep. Geocoins are part of the community of geocaching, especially when they are used exactly like travel bugs. Are they always about finding a cache? No, but they are about cachers.

Is buying and selling geocoins geocaching? No, it's not, but it has become an extension of the hobby and people enjoy it and Groundspeak profits from it, so there it will continue. Many people continue to put coins into real caches, thus keeping the tie of coins and caching together, hopefully this will never end (the coins in caches part).

Have a look at this thread and you will see that a awful lot of placed GeoCoins are going missing, presumably into someones collection.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=146270

I don't see how GeoCoins and GeoCaching can coexist whilst there are so many that merely want to collect them.

This will be my last post on the subject since I know understand what GeoCoins are all about. If I find one I shall move it on and log the find.

Bazzer in California

Dropping geocoins seems to have been going on for a while. While some are stolen it seems that enough continue to travel that people keep dropping them. If the theft rate was extremely high, I assume people would stop.

Geocaching and geocoins can coexist as long as the people finding the caches are of high enough moral character to not steal and those that want to steal them don't have enough patience or skills to find the caches.

Edited by Moun10eer

I can see where this thread is going.

:(:D

Share the bench? Got my own popcorn.

;)

would you like some Pizza ? pizza.gif

Whats Pizza without Beer?

beerchug.gif

Pizza, beer, and popcorn? sounds like a party! party0039.gifparty0016.gif

WOW, all these animated smiley and signal icons are way too cool.

I think I'll learn how to make my own, start a website with a message board, and sell them for profit.

Any potential customers? I don't know what the first one will be, but it's for presale NOW!!!

(edited due to brain-damage)

Edited by slowdownracer

Have a look at this thread and you will see that a awful lot of placed GeoCoins are going missing, presumably into someones collection.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=146270

I don't see how GeoCoins and GeoCaching can coexist whilst there are so many that merely want to collect them.

This will be my last post on the subject since I know understand what GeoCoins are all about. If I find one I shall move it on and log the find.

Bazzer in California

I'm thinking of trying something that has been tried before, adopt Moun10bike's philosophy. Which is to release coins into the wild with the intended goal of moving from cache to cache, but it can also be traded, or kept, just not sold or virtually logged. Whatever happens, happens. I have quite a stock pile that I've purchased to release for just his reason and I will enjoy the stories, but people don't seem to do that anyway. If they disappear, fine. I hope that whoever finds them enjoys then as I have. :(;):D

Oh and happy new year (rhymes with beer!)

I'm thinking of trying something that has been tried before, adopt Moun10bike's philosophy. Which is to release coins into the wild with the intended goal of moving from cache to cache, but it can also be traded, or kept, just not sold or virtually logged. Whatever happens, happens. I have quite a stock pile that I've purchased to release for just his reason and I will enjoy the stories, but people don't seem to do that anyway. If they disappear, fine. I hope that whoever finds them enjoys then as I have. :D:D:D

Oh and happy new year (rhymes with beer!)

I get the impression that coins that can't be virtually logged (or even ones that can but are unactivated) tend to be kept and do not travel.

I get the impression that coins that can't be virtually logged (or even ones that can but are unactivated) tend to be kept and do not travel.

No coins or TBs are supposed to be logged without having actually seen it! (or maybe I'm not understanding what your saying? :D;) )

Edited by welch

On the OP's original topic/issue:

I am sure that Geocoins didn't start out being collectible, profitable or any of that. In fact, I believe wooden tokens were the first Geocoins? I could be wrong... won't be the first time.

Some folks just kicked it up a notch. For some of us, it is most assuredly an addiction - one I wouldn't trade for any other, except maybe hugs from my kids.

For me personally, Geocoins are about visually appealing, physical heft, something tactile and pleasing to touch and peruse... and part of it for me is the obsessive/compulsive aspect of collecting. Some of us collect every single coin produced, or would like to. Others, like myself, are attracted to certain subject matter, or coins that depict specific places or experiences. For me it is dragons, anything fantasy-oriented, and places I've Geocached, like specific states. However, as with anything there are exceptions, and somewhere in my brain a magpie lives to collect bright, colorful and shiny objects... I try to resist the magpie, but why bother?

It doesn't change my fervent attitude toward caching, and I have never taken another's coin found in a cache to keep as my own. I'm also an Icon Ho, so discovering or moving Geocoins is attractive for that reason...

Just like some people hate/abhore/can't stand micros...

Don't knock it just because it doesn't work for you.

Oh, I love sushi, too! Doesn't make me weird... ;)

The way I see it is buying geocoins can be habit forming. When I buy, I try to buy a couple, One for me oone for my son and then we can either release or keep them. One thing that should not be nor is tolerated is finding one in a cache and keeping it. What I suggest you do is to attend an event and see all the different TBs that are out there to be shared. Some people enjoy showing there "own" coins at events and seeing the faces of us others as we go ga ga over their collection!! ;)

No coins or TBs are supposed to be logged without having actually seen it! (or maybe I'm not understanding what your saying? :anitongue::anitongue: )

Maybe I'm getting some terms confused. "Virtual logging" to me means logging a find on a website or other electronic medium. So if you actually see a geocoin and then log it on geocaching.com, that's virtual logging to me. To me the other kind of logging is non-virtual or physical, like the summit register where you physically write your name in with a pen on the summit of a mountain. In some areas you can look at an actual book that people physically signed with their own hand. I've been to the tops of mountains and pulled out the summit register with 40 year old entries from people which I think is really neat. I don't think Internet logging can really compete with this from a nostalgia perspective but it's sure fun for people who can't make it to the cache/summit. Edited by Moun10eer

To the OP Empathy-can it be taught? - ferals shouts into theprobably emptyroom - "if you do not understand it then you'll have to TRY IT to find out rather than watch from a distance. TRADING IS FUN! i like the numismatic aspects as well (learning about significance of what is on a coin ( trylooking at the southpointing chariot coin for instance, coin metals, production methods, try looking at geotiki.com , the games - check out the balloon race at cachinggames.com - and hunting a rare one check ebay! no just kidding - you will get these by making a friend here :anibad: If you still don't get it one cannot help you much more than that.