Wooden Nickels gone wrong

woodennickelguy

Hi, this is Herb from Old Time Wooden Nickel.

When we make a mistake in printing your Wooden Nickels, we have 3 remedies.

1. We offer a discount for you to keep them. Obviously, this doesn't work if the problem is a spelling error or typo in important information.

2. We send UPS to pick them up at your address (at our expense, of course) and return them to us, and we RUSH to reprint the order.

3. If that is also not acceptable to the customer, we give a full refund, once the bad shipment is returned.

In 2006 we have had 7 problem orders (out of over 4,200 Wooden Nickel orders processed totaling over 6 million pieces). The first 6 were resolved easily and quickly by method 1 or 2. Three of those has even reordered.

Then came the seventh problem.

A nice multi-color picture with text above and below. The text was supposed to be in dark blue. It was printed in black by mistake. We offered a 20% discount, we offered to reprint them, and finally we offered a full refund. Here is a portion of the last email reply from the disgruntled customer"

"Yes I asked for a full refund....only because your representative....would not offer a suitable solution to this problem. I had to either receive 20% discount on merchandise I did not order. . . or I could return unordered merchandise and wait for corrected merchandise. With no compensation for the mistake made, not even an apology. Already past the time time, Dec 17th, the date I originally ordered the product for. An event where our family was going to share this product with other geocachers. Thanks to your error we had nothing to share. . . I'm sure the information I share on forums across the country will compensate me more than enough for your decision to say "To hell with the customer". I will also contact all businesses that you advertise with, starting with Groundspeak and brief them on your business practices"

In the quote above the disgruntled customer claims that no apology was given. This is not true. Both the customer service rep and the manager apologized, but this customer was abusive to them on the phone, so we stopped communicating with him by phone, and continued with email only.

I am posting this just to let the community know what our company will offer to remedy a problem, should one occur. The chances are less than .002% that there will be a problem. This year we had about a 99.998% success rate.

woodennickelguy...

Thanks for the post....sounds like your disgruntled customer did not understand what you were offering?

I have had nothing but the best experience with your company and plan on ordering more in the near future. I'm glad to see we have an "inside" contact now.

Please email me...I've got some questions and requests.

JayBee

Some people you just can't make happy, unless its perfect and they get a discount.

That's my goal. :ph34r:

It sounds like the policies are one up on what most companies offer. Obviously the discount may not be enough in the mind of the buyer to live with the problem. However #2 should fix that and failing that #3.

The problem complicating the entire negotiation was these were time sensative.

Edited by Renegade Knight

(Shrug) From whats given it sounds to me like the person got the order, it wasn't exactly right so they went into meltdown and were not having anything else to do with those nickels... :ph34r:

At least thats what it sounds like from: "I had to either receive 20% discount on merchandise I did not order. . . or I could return unordered merchandise and wait for corrected merchandise"