Geocaching Purple Heart

etriley4

10 years of active duty service. Disabled Combat Vet. The image of the Purple Heart award with Signal on it DOES bother me. I cringe a little bit every time I see it as I scroll down the page.

The Purple Heart is NOT AN AWARD!

Hey...to each their own. Do what you want. I don't see anything funny about cheapening the image of the Purple Heart for a game. If you want one so bad, join a branch and do your part. Maybe once you see the injuries that earn a Purple Heart you'll change your mind.

I do like the camo band-aid.

10 years of active duty service. Disabled Combat Vet. The image of the Purple Heart award with Signal on it DOES bother me. I cringe a little bit every time I see it as I scroll down the page.

Hey...to each their own. Do what you want. I don't see anything funny about cheapening the image of the Purple Heart for a game. If you want one so bad, join a branch and do your part. Maybe once you see the injuries that earn a Purple Heart you'll change your mind.

Take a breath. This is an old thread that someone dredged up.

One more vote for the opposition here.

This thread is over a year old. I doubt that anyone that was on the fence about this idea back then is still on it now.

I guess the topic doesn't matter anymore, since it's old. I wasn't here then, so I just won't have an opinion now.

One more vote for the opposition here.

This thread is over a year old. I doubt that anyone that was on the fence about this idea back then is still on it now.

I guess the topic doesn't matter anymore, since it's old. I wasn't here then, so I just won't have an opinion now.

I don't meen to be rude, but your opinion doesn't really matter to this topic. Since the coins have already been purchased and distributed, your vote as to whether or not they should be produced doesn't count.

If I go to polls on February 6th, they are not going to care who I'm for.

P.S. I've run several forums and if replying to old topics was truly discouraged they would be pruned from time to time.

And yet, you still don't read what you are replying to: "Since the coins have already been purchased and distributed."

Edited by baloo&bd

P.S. I've run several forums and if replying to old topics was truly discouraged they would be pruned from time to time.

And yet, you still don't read what you are replying to: "Since the coins have already been purchased and distributed."

I read it. It doesn't matter if they printed up 10 million of them, I'm still against it. What difference does it make if they've decided already? I'm still opposed.

Edited by mvigor

;)

sometimes this forum just cracks me up.

I consider myself a master of sarcasm, but that post was quite impressive. :D

Edited by Bad_CRC

I am simply NONPLUSSED that the same people who wildly scream and rant over a petty thread like Are we allowing the degradation of geocaching?! would take such a casual view of the degradation of one of our countries higest honors which is bestowed upon some who have given much and especially some who have given their all.

I do object. From what I've seen and heard in my life, a coupla GEO scratches or even a broken leg....

some of you good folks need to visit Bethesda.

As a positive note - I would call it the green heart and design it with Signal as the main ingredient.

I am simply NONPLUSSED that the same people who wildly scream and rant over a petty thread like Are we allowing the degradation of geocaching?! would take such a casual view of the degradation of one of our countries higest honors which is bestowed upon some who have given much and especially some who have given their all.

I do object. From what I've seen and heard in my life, a coupla GEO scratches or even a broken leg....

some of you good folks need to visit Bethesda.

As a positive note - I would call it the green heart and design it with Signal as the main ingredient.

It's been some time since I took up this argument in the original thread, but let's see if I can't restate my position. Again.

I am not offended by a 'Geocaching Purple Heart' because I understand that geocaching is a game and that nobody is giving out real purple hearts for geocaching-related owies. I also don't believe that anyone will confuse the two or that teh existance of a geocaching purple heart geocoin degrade (word of the week?) actual purple heart recipients. If anything, it causes us to think about the 'actual' purple heart and those to which it was awarded.

Anyone have a picture of this coin?

Anyone have a picture of this coin?

I think that there actually may be a few coins in circulation. The one that I saw was the green camo with a band-aid.

It's your right sbell111 to say what you want. But you have no right to censor our opinions. I've read your rants in 100+ topics and I've come to the conclusion that YOU SHOW ABSOLUTELY NO RESPECT FOR ANYONE OTHER THAN YOURSELF.

Don't bother responding to me personally as I won't be able to read your post.

How am I censoring your opinions?

Let's do a test:

I disagree with your opinion on two levels. First, I believe that your opinion as to whether these coins should be produced is moot because they already have been produced. Second, as previously discussed, I disagree with your position that the existance of these coins degrades the real purple heart, any past or future recipients of the purple heart, the United States military including the United States Marine Corps, United States Army, United States Air Force, United States Navy, and United States Coast Guard, The United States of America, The United States flag, or the President of the United States (past, present, or future).

OK. The test is complete. Please scroll up and check to see if your previous posts are still intact. If they are, you haven't been censored. (If they are not intact, some moderator is playing a joke on both of us.)

Edited by sbell111

My father was a Disabled Combat Vet. My brother gave is life in VEIT NAM for his Purple Heart.

When I think of a Purple Heart I think of my Mother holding this little Purple Heart with sad eyes.

Out of respect for our Military and their families it should not be copied.

Geocaching is a sport. There is so many good coin designers here, I know someone can come up with something Unique for Geocaching.

Lee

Getting or recieving an purple heart medal is not a high honor. Its awarded in recognition that you have been wounded or killed in combat. Getting the Medal of Honor is the nations highest honor awarded to a service member.

Are we allowing the degradation of geocaching?![/url] would take such a casual view of the degradation of one of our countries higest honors.

How about making a bandaid version.

Edited by Cav Scout

Getting or recieving an purple heart medal is not a high honor. Its awarded in regognition that you have been wounded or killed in combat. Getting the Medal of Honor is the nations highest homor awarded to a service member.

Are we allowing the degradation of geocaching?![/url] would take such a casual view of the degradation of one of our countries higest honors.

Please see post 169, just a few posts up.

I respect every person's opinion, and it doesn't matter one iota to me whether or not they have been minted and/or distributed but I have to agree with cowcreekgeeks on all the points he made. I have served/defended my country (and your right to voice your opinions) for 19 years this month. Last year I suffered an injury that, in all likelyhood, is going to cut short my military career. Sure, I'll more than likely get 100% disability as a result but it doesn't, in any way, shape or form, truely compensate me for my loss. It will be with me forever... In my opinion, the Purple Heart is not something to be copied for a sport, not even in name, for it is an untouchable reminder of the sacrifices that fellow citizens made to defend the freedoms you currently enjoy.

I respect every person's opinion, and it doesn't matter one iota to me whether or not they have been minted and/or distributed but I have to agree with cowcreekgeeks on all the points he made. I have served/defended my country (and your right to voice your opinions) for 19 years this month. Last year I suffered an injury that, in all likelyhood, is going to cut short my military career. Sure, I'll more than likely get 100% disability as a result but it doesn't, in any way, shape or form, truely compensate me for my loss. It will be with me forever... In my opinion, the Purple Heart is not something to be copied for a sport, not even in name, for it is an untouchable reminder of the sacrifices that fellow citizens made to defend the freedoms you currently enjoy.

I agree with you completely. Perhaps a "purple Ammo Can" or "Purple Film Can" would be more appropriate to our sport.

Yes I saw it... I'm talking just about a bandaid and keeping the heart and cammo out.

Getting or recieving an purple heart medal is not a high honor. Its awarded in regognition that you have been wounded or killed in combat. Getting the Medal of Honor is the nations highest homor awarded to a service member.

Please see post 169, just a few posts up.

Howz bout you play 'forums' your way and I'll play my way. My Controls: Manage Ignored Users.

Obviously off topic, but:

Not only do they not discourage dredging up old threads, if you were to start a new thread, the same people that are so quick to point out the thread is old and irrelevant will very quickly "markwell" the old thread and take you to task for opening a "duplicate" thread.

So manage your forums however you will... you'll never win on this one :D

So anyway, just because a topic has been "decided" (as evidenced by the fact they done up and made the coins) does not in any way preclude opening discussion on it again.

Those who partake of alcohol in the U.S. are no doubt very glad that prohibition was allowed to be brought up again after it was "decided" by the passage of the 18th amendment.

We have threads hashing and rehashing the virtual cache ban.

True, the existing coins are not going to go away no matter what anyone says on the forums, but the forums never had any power to stop them in the first place either.

This discussion, medium, and even the powers that be on the site are powerless to stop the making of these awards. This discussion is nothing more than a FORUM of opinions. As such, a late opinion is equally valid with an early opinion.

"...there is nothing new under the sun." - ECC 1:9