Geocaching Purple Heart

etriley4

I am not necessarily against it, but I suspect there might be some veterans that would be offended by the prospect. Certainly if logging fake finds "cheapens" the achievement of cachers who log fairly, calling a geocaching award a "purple heart" could be construed to "cheapen" the real medal and what it stands for.

I'm a veteran with two Purple Hearts. I find it funny.

Yes vets respect the Purple Heart, but they also call it the "Enemy Marksmanship Award."

I don't think it in any way cheapens the real medal to have a "Geocaching Purple Heart.

I suppose someone will come up with a Medal of Honor for having a high number of finds.

Let's not diminish or dishonor the medals of valor.

:laughing:

I think that you are reading to much into it.

First of all there are medals of honor awarded by many groups and clubs. They any no way detract from the valor, honor and merit that is THE "Congressional Medal of Honor". There is a big difference and we all know it.

Secondly, this has nothing to do with elevating on cacher above another for their deeds. It's a 'tongue-in-cheek' humor device among friends.

Back in February, I "awarded" a virtual geocaching purple heart to a cacher who injured herself while pursuing one of my caches. rvrhippy worked up a great purple heart and I wrote the text. I felt bad that she injured herself by slipping on ice at my first waypoint, and I wanted to recognize her tenacity. Here it is below -- feel free to use it, but please credit rvrhippy with creating it.

a97d9e45-2399-45ca-93d3-6d4bb06e3b5a.jpg

Here's the link to the log in which I awarded it to the cacher:

Awarding the Geocaching Purple Heart

Team Maccabee

I now that's just too good. :laughing::laughing:

Interesting. I seriously hope you are not using a likeness of the real Purple Heart award (Oops! You are.), because you could find yourself in some very serious legal trouble, which could include jail time and fines. I am pretty sure the Purple Heart society would not be amused at this whimsical disrespect for one of our nation’s highest awards, tenth in precedence. Freedom is not free, and the Purple Heart represents the nation’s recognition of those who have given more than their fair share. Not a sermon, just a thought.

S/F Wildman

See my posts above.

There's no slight on the real award.

I think it's amusing.

I don't know. Maybe I'm mistaken here, but most of the comments saying that vets would be offended seem to be coming from non-vets. I can understand why someone might take offence to the image, but I still think that it's nothing to be offended by.

Just so you will know who is stating this (and in no way a boast) I am a combat veteran. I have been awarded three Combat Infantry Badges. I won the Bronze Star with Valor. I also, as stated above, been award two Purple Hearts.

I think what you all are forgeting that there is a huge difference between a piece colored ribbon, and an "Award." You want to know how much a Purple Heart cost? About $2 at the Uniform Sale Store. It's just cloth, ink, and stamped metal. The real value, the real worth is in the act, and in the person.

If you have been awarded a Purple Heart and feel differently, I bow to your opinion and your sensibilities.

But if you haven't, I don't see where you or your arguments have any ground to stand on.

How would these be awarded? Or would they be treated just like any other geocoin (sold, traded, etc.)?

Assuming that they were to be made into a geocoin that is listed on the site, I guess that they would be given to the injured cacher who could either send them out for trading or keep. They could certainly also be sold. Geocachers and clubs could buy them to give to injured cachers.

From M-W online dictionary:

Main Entry: MOCK

Pronunciation: 'mäk, 'mok

Function: verb

Etymology: Middle English, from moker

transitive verb

1 : to treat with contempt or ridicule : DERIDE

2 : to disappoint the hopes of

3 : DEFY, CHALLENGE

4 a : to imitate (as a mannerism) closely : MIMIC b : to mimic in sport or derision

Thanks for the definition, but I disagree that it fits this situation.
... Mark my words: If a Geocaching PH is created, people are gonna seek it out and brag about it.
Ummm, you might want to take another quick read of this thread. The 'geocaching purple heart' already exists. I haven't seen a bunch of threads pop up regarding seeking out this item or bragging about receiving it.
And that is where I see the mockery of one of the highest honors one can be awarded (formal recognition that they gave blood for me and you and everyone's freedom and safety), it is shameful that anyone would desire a real or "play" PH.
No one desires either one because it means that he/she was injured.
Similarily, you don't want to wear something that could be mistaken for a Hells Angels vest if you are not a Hells Angel. They won't see the humor.
First, let me state that the behavior of 'Hell's Angels' is not something that I base my actions on. Also, your inference that veterans would be expected to behave in a manner similar to Hell's Angels is insulting to all veterans.

Finally, I think it is damaging to the Country to insist on so much separation from military-related issues. Take a look at our current situation, for example. We are in a war that has taken thousands of our military men and women and injured tens of thousands. Strangely, most people aren't affected by the war in the least.

For me, calling this item the 'geocaching purple heart' does a service because it requires most of us to think about the 'real' one for just a second. The fact that some have gotten upset bears this out. If we have a few things in our lives that serve as a reminder of the work that our military does and the price that is paid, I'm all for it. That is true even if it is a silly, little thing in a silly, little game.

sbell, I did not mean to offend you, and I certainly am not drawing a correlation between the Hell's Angels' actions and that of most vets. I was trying to point out another group that has a very strong view of themselves and doesn't take kindly to things they feel are in disrespect.

My choice of using the Hell's Angels may not have been the best.

Additionally, when I posted to this topic I was 10 hours into my night shift and slightly distracted; this does not excuse any of what I wrote, I just mention it to point out that I didn't necessarily think it all through before I posted.

I believe you when you state you don't base your actions on those of the Hell's Angels, I take you at your word because I don't know you and cannot make any assumptions about you or your character, other than what little any of us can glean from the postings of another.

I guess all I should have stated in the first place was that I personally find the connection between the Purple Heart and geocaching as distasteful, and that I would not accept nor award one.

This is a game/sport/recreation. The other is far from it.

But that is my choice, and if other cachers think it's a good idea, that's okay.

Again, I did not intend to offend or inflame.

-K

Edited by krisandmel

FWIW - this coin was done a LONG time ago:

camoheart.gif

Seems like a LOT of bickering and back and forth could have been avoided if somebody had looked this up.

I believe it was called a "camo heart" coin. Non trackable, produced well over a year ago.

edited to add opinion (how could I forget?):

I would hate to see anything called a Purple Heart for reasons already mentioned. Whether it's tongue-in-cheek or not it's just not something that I see as making a "copy" of. And yes, I have a sense of humor and can see the difference but that's something that is earned (maybe not the best word to use).

I wouldn't want to see that any more than a "Black Belt" coin/award although I'm sure somebody will make one as well...

Edited by kealia

Basicly what we are talking about here is a light hearted fun award. This fits in well with the definition of the game.

Calling it a GCPH is very natural because the real PH is recognized for what it is. Therefore calling it GCPH will give it instant recognition which may well be missed if other names are used.

I don't see how the actual form makes much difference, so since some are offended, using the real medal as a pattern need not be done. (although some will be offended no matter what you do- what the hey, many are no doubt offended that no such award exists)

A coin is very appropriate because coins are something familiar to our hobby. Making it a pin on medal would be a little absurd since most of us don't wear uniforms whilst caching (I don't think).

Ultimately after the "presentation" whatever that may be, the trinket is going to go in the cachers personal keepsakes and most likely won't be carried, displayed (except at local brag fests), or worn. Thus the exposure will be minimal with few people in a position to be offended (what you don't know can't offend you).

I think this is much ado about nothing, (but maybe not). (Do I get a forum PH for the injury to my butt from sitting on this picket fence?) :unsure:

I guess all I should have stated in the first place was that I personally find the connection between the Purple Heart and geocaching as distasteful, and that I would not accept nor award one.

Addressed generally (not just to the quoted poster) :

Assuming you are a veteran who has earned the real PH, what would you do/say/think if a fellow cacher awarded you the GCPH for getting caught in a really bad briar patch, said cacher not knowing you well enough to know you would/would not be offended?

Edited by Confucius' Cat

Why not compromise and either change the color(s) or the body part?

- GCCH: Geocaching Camo Heart (or other color(s)) - doesn't seem to upset people

- GCPF: Geocaching Purple Foot (or other body part)

Is it that important to make it a "Purple Heart"? I'm just trying to find a middle ground that can satisfy both camps.

It would be a shame if this issue significantly upset a portion of the geocaching community.

Edited by Moun10eer

Basicly what we are talking about here is a light hearted fun award.

Addressed generally (not just to the quoted poster) :

Assuming you are a veteran who has earned the real PH, what would you do/say/think if a fellow cacher awarded you the GCPH for getting caught in a really bad briar patch, said cacher not knowing you well enough to know you would/would not be offended?

Light hearted fun award..... you have got to be kidding... :rolleyes: ...

I am a veteran, 8 years on fast attack submarines and missile submarines, who fortunately has not received the PH.... however my immediate family and extended family have received a total of FOUR (4) Purple hearts covering the period of Viet Nam to the current war in Irag. The first submarine I served on was lost with all 99 crew. I personally had served with about a third of that crew. Their families all received Purple Hearts.

To those that have been effected by the reason that someone would receive the medal the events are quite traumatic. To make this a "light hearted fun award" with that idiot frog on the medal is absolutely revolting. If I was offered something like that I can not print here what I would say to individual that would be stupid enough to offer it in the first place.

There are a number of veterans and current military, I am personally aware of, that are watching this forum and are appaled at what is going on here.

If you want to call it the "Golden Bandaid" or something else light like that then I have no problem. Just stay away from anything that congers up anything that could be associated or interperted as having thing to do with the real Purple Heart medal.

:wub:

If you want to call it the "Golden Bandaid" or something else light like that then I have no problem. Just stay away from anything that congers up anything that could be associated or interperted as having thing to do with the real Purple Heart medal.
Do you and the geocachers you represent also object to the Camo Heart geocoin kealia posted an image of above? Edited by Moun10eer
Do you and the geocachers you represent also object to the Camo Heart geocoin kealia posted an image of above?

I personally do not think anything that is tied to the purple heart is appropriate. The heart is the tie in. Again a como bandaid I believe would be more appropriate. I do have a number of scars on various parts of my body due to thorns, etc. They only took a bandaid to fix, and none were life threating.

Edited by txoilgas
Do you and the geocachers you represent also object to the Camo Heart geocoin kealia posted an image of above?

I personally do not think anything that is tied to the purple heart is appropriate. The heart is the tie in. Again a como bandaid I believe would be more appropriate. I do have a number of scars on various parts of my body due to thorns, etc. They only took a bandaid to fix, and none were life threating.

I'm very glad that you have only had problems with thorns, etc. There have been other people with much more serious injuries from geocaching, though.

I'm very glad that you have only had problems with thorns, etc. There have been other people with much more serious injuries from geocaching, though.
What kinds of serious injuries have people sustained from geocaching? As I mentioned earlier, people routinely die and lose limbs in my other activities: mountaineering, rock/ice climbing and backcountry skiing. Does this happen to geocachers (I'd like to know if I'm getting into another dangerous activity)?

The other thing is that it seems like the intent is to sell and trade this so it's more of a normal themed geocoin rather than just for people who get injured.

Also, why isn't a "golden band-aid" (or something else that's not purple and not a heart) satisfactory? I understand that some people like the idea of using a "purple heart", but is it so important that it cannot be given up to make others in the community feel better?

Edited by Moun10eer
What kinds of serious injuries have people sustained from geocaching? As I mentioned earlier, people routinely die and lose limbs in my other activities: mountaineering, rock/ice climbing and backcountry skiing. Does this happen to geocachers (I'd like to know if I'm getting into another dangerous activity)? ...
Some have died. Others have suffered various injuries such as broken bones.

Regarding your other points, I've already tried to address them, as have Totem Clan and Confucius' Cat.

Edited by sbell111
What kinds of serious injuries have people sustained from geocaching? As I mentioned earlier, people routinely die and lose limbs in my other activities: mountaineering, rock/ice climbing and backcountry skiing. Does this happen to geocachers (I'd like to know if I'm getting into another dangerous activity)? ...
Some have died. Others have suffered various injuries such as broken bones.
Hmm. This is good to know. I didn't realize that some geocachers have died while geocaching because this has been discussed as a light hearted award.
Regarding your other points, I've already tried to address them, as have Totem Clan and Confucius' Cat.
None of you three seem to have compromised to the point of satisfying txoilgas and vets like him. Perhaps there's just no way to satisfy both camps here? Edited by Moun10eer

This whole thing was started out to be light-hearted but hit on sensitive emotions.

Let's put the fun back in it by dropping the sensitive issue - the Purple Heart.

The real issue is a fun 'award' for injuries while geocaching, the form of that award shouldn't be important.

If we can't come up with something original and insist on copying something that's been done, consider a Geocaching Darwin Award.

Get yourself killed while geocaching and get the award postumously, get hurt pursuing a cache and get an Honorable Mention.

Is some one actually going to make this? Coin....award.....whatever...

If not then maybe we should not discuss it. Both sides are passionate about their positions. I think Moun10eer has it right there is no way to satisfy both camps.

I felt that having something like a Geocaching Purple Camo Heart would be good middle ground but apparently not.

While my Grandfather (WWII), Dad (Vietnam) and husband (Gulf War) are all war time veterans none of them have received a PH. Thank God. With that said I talked to my Dad and my husband saw the award and neither were offended by it.

Maybe this heated subject should just fade away into the sunset.

:D This is so wrong on so many levels! Make a band aid medal or something to represent the CACHING version. Don't use or disfigure the Purple Heart! It is disrespectful to those who serve and have died to protect our country and our freedoms. Whats would be next? :D

Back in February, I "awarded" a virtual geocaching purple heart to a cacher who injured herself while pursuing one of my caches. rvrhippy worked up a great purple heart and I wrote the text. I felt bad that she injured herself by slipping on ice at my first waypoint, and I wanted to recognize her tenacity. Here it is below -- feel free to use it, but please credit rvrhippy with creating it.

a97d9e45-2399-45ca-93d3-6d4bb06e3b5a.jpg

Here's the link to the log in which I awarded it to the cacher:

Awarding the Geocaching Purple Heart

Team Maccabee

Wow, I just read the report and the geocacher had to go to the hospital after slipping on ice! I'm not sure how serious geocaching injuries tend to be but climbers get serious injuries, lost limbs and loss of life often enough in the pursuit of their chosen activity. At least one skier has died on a backcountry ski mountaineering route I descended and 7 people died in a single season on a mountain the season I climbed it. I've also participated in the rescue of an injured climber that slid/fell over 200 feet on Mount Hood. When coming back from an ice climbing trip, I met a retired ice climber who said she quit the hobby after too many of her friends died doing it. However, even with all of that, climbing is still a hobby and, as such, is different than defending one's country. If the men and women who defend this country are upset that the people they defend want to use the design of their medal for those of their own that get injured (and may possibly die one day) in hobbies, that is something to consider.

:D This is so wrong on so many levels! Make a band aid medal or something to represent the CACHING version. Don't use or disfigure the Purple Heart! It is disrespectful to those who serve and have died to protect our country and our freedoms. Whats would be next? :D

I guess you haven't made it through the entire thread, yet. BTW, do you believe that the concept of a gcph is disrespectful, or just that image. If you disagree with the concept, perhaps you could explain why.
Is some one actually going to make this? Coin....award.....whatever...

If not then maybe we should not discuss it. Both sides are passionate about their positions. I think Moun10eer has it right there is no way to satisfy both camps. [....]

Maybe this heated subject should just fade away into the sunset.

My impression is that either someone wants to make this or really likes discussion. From what I've seen, it seems clear that both sides will not agree on this. A certain number of people will object to this having similarities to the real medal. The people that really want this can either choose to do it over their objections or change the design. Unless they are just here for discussion.

sbell111: I'm curious now. Is your interest in this issue just an academic one (learning the motivations of people?) or do you want to make this geocoin ... or both?

I'm not sure you will find answers to your satisfaction since this is an emotionally charged issue.

If you are simply looking for people's motivations, I'm not sure you will find what you're looking for.

If you want to make a geocoin, you may be able to do so, but over people's objections.

Is more discussion really needed?

Edited by Moun10eer

To be clear, I have nothing against the idea of a GCPH, or even including Purple Heart in the name. My only objection was to modifying the actual Purple Heart image to come up with a symbol. Again, I wouldn't be outraged if someone did make a coin like this, I just wouldn't buy one or accept one if someone tried to award it to me.

Now a coin based on the suggested band-aid theme, that I'd likely buy, if only so I'd have one to award if the situation came up.

Edited by CheshireFrog

I wouldn't want to see that any more than a "Black Belt" coin/award although I'm sure somebody will make one as well...

OK

Having earned my Black Belt in TKD, I am therefore qualified to state my opinion that if somebody (like the company I work for for instance) wants to award a "black belt" which requires none of the discipline or sacrifice that it takes to get a real martial arts BB, it really doesn't upset me. Nor does it make my TKD BB any less valid.

And yes, my company DOES award a "black belt" to people who jump through a few hoops in quality training classes. I laugh.

But OK, I laugh at Monty Python too. That pretty well defines my sense of humour I guess... in less than 5 minutes they can offend literally every human being on the planet as well as a few random sheep. I COULD get offended but I don't. I laugh.

I appreciate that there are others who would rather take offence than laugh. (Yes it IS your choice.)

That is why I have been on the fence on this all along. As indicated my first post, the reaction of some vets is totally predictable.

The question really is, "is the concept worth the risk of offending some people?"

I think we could surely come to agreement to utilise the concept but make the award totally NOT like the military purple heart in any way including name and likeness.

The coin concept is very good and perhaps we should call it the "GEO-Boo-boo" or something the like.

The biggest lesson geocaching has taught me is that humanity is a LOT more diverse than I had imagined. The fact that I breathe most likely offends someone. Point- there aint nothing you can do to which SOMEBODY won't object.

So get it away from the military as far as possible, award it as a joke at the local meet and greet adn have fun.

And THANK YOU, Gracias, Domo, Merci, Gratias Ago, etc... to ALL who served and are serving in the military.

I wonder if olympic gold medalists are offended by the "special olympics?"

Just imagine how much the International Math Olympics must burn them.

I am a veteran and have been following this thread for awhile now. Just to start off, I am sooo not in favor of this idea. The reasons being, I now own the Purple Heart that my grandfather earned/received for injuries sustained while stationed in Thailand, and after seeing the picture of the ridiculous image of the one with Signal on it, I began to get a little upset about it. I know that my grandfather struggled with that event through-out the rest of his life, not only the fact that he was injured but, that he also lost a close friend during it. I know that some have stated that the military would probably find it, possibly humorous, but I say to that, why not go and ask them? Try visiting a Veteran's Hospital and seeing just what it takes to get a real Purple Heart and see if it sits well with you. As for the quote above, I say the same thing, Ask a Purple Heart recipient if he would rather have a Gold Medal from the Olympics or the use of his/her extremities due to the fact that he/she was trying to defend the Right to your Freedom of Speech.

I am a veteran and have been following this thread for awhile now. Just to start off, I am sooo not in favor of this idea. The reasons being, I now own the Purple Heart that my grandfather earned/received for injuries sustained while stationed in Thailand, and after seeing the picture of the ridiculous image of the one with Signal on it, I began to get a little upset about it. I know that my grandfather struggled with that event through-out the rest of his life, not only the fact that he was injured but, that he also lost a close friend during it. I know that some have stated that the military would probably find it, possibly humorous, but I say to that, why not go and ask them? Try visiting a Veteran's Hospital and seeing just what it takes to get a real Purple Heart and see if it sits well with you. As for the quote above, I say the same thing, Ask a Purple Heart recipient if he would rather have a Gold Medal from the Olympics or the use of his/her extremities due to the fact that he/she was trying to defend the Right to your Freedom of Speech.

Freedom of Speech is essential to our society. You will always find someone upset by an idea. The dialogue has been interesting.There are Medals of Valor and actually some give medals of honor given in the civilian world everyday. Of course the CMH is protected by law as well as other laws regarding wearing MILITARY medals or ribbons not earned. Of course you can use the word "won", because no one "wins" a Purple Heart" or Medal of Honor, they earned them.

Some may remember the "controversy" when the Army Chief of Staff issued a black beret to all troops. It removed the black beret from the Rangers and replaced it with a sand beret just like the SAS. Those of us who earned a beret, vs. issued, were concerned, I laughed about it. The SAS didn't like their beret being diluted. The rangers were upset, even those that never wore the beret. Thus you may ruffle feathers anyway you go.

I don't believe it cheapens or demeans the Order of the Purple Heart. I think though this is flogging a dead horse. That includes my reply.

Edited by Savoy 6

OK

Having earned my Black Belt in TKD, I am therefore qualified to state my opinion that if somebody (like the company I work for for instance) wants to award a "black belt" which requires none of the discipline or sacrifice that it takes to get a real martial arts BB, it really doesn't upset me. Nor does it make my TKD BB any less valid.

We have a lot in common. I wouldn't get "upset" about a "Black Belt" award - but they aren't really apples to apples to compare with a PH. MY fault for bringing up a poor comparison.

And I agree. You can never please everybody. But in this case, I think enough people have chimed in that think it's a bad idea that something else (geo-boo-boo, etc.) could easily be made.

Edited by kealia

In the military, Purple Hearts are awarded when recieving a wound in battle.

In order to keep this in alignment, wouldn't you get a geocaching Purple Heart if you were wounded by the other cacher while fighting for the FTF?

i can just see 2 cachers running through the woods at top speed both breaking through a bush and knock ing eachother out in front of the cache lol

Maybe you haven't been paying attention. I have TWO of them. I'm very proud of my service record and I would do it all over again, if given the chance. Like I said above, even those of us in the service and those that have been award them, make light of them. The medal is nothing but cloth, ink and stamp metal. It the act and the service that matters. Like I said even in the service we call them The "Enemy Marksmanship Medal".

Edited by Totem Clan
Maybe you haven't been paying attention. I have TWO of them. I'm very proud of my service record and I would do it all over again, if given the chance. Like I said above, even those of us in the service and those that have been award them, make light of them. The medal is nothing but cloth, ink and stamp metal. It the act and the service that matters. Like I said even in the service we call them The "Enemy Marksmanship Medal".
I truly appreciate your willingness to do it all again. However, if given the chance, I would recommend that you move just a bit to the right. :D Edited by sbell111

Alrighty, once everyone makes a decision can I please have a medal? I'm still recuperating from a broken leg and it's been 15 months now. :D

Maybe the medal should be for continuing to geocache despite the injury.

A badge with crutches...rods and screws...bandaids...whatever. I just want SOMETHING okay? B)

This caching injury took a bit more than a simple band aid to repair...happened to a San Diego based cacher.

Image removed by moderator

Edited by CYBret
... As to geocaching, I think giving out the same medal would be in bad taste. ...
The reason that your argument is not persuasive, to me, is that you did not give a reason for your feelings.

To receive a Purple Heart, a soldier must be wounded or killed in combat. How anyone can belittle that with equating that, with being injured while out seeking containers of trinkets is beyond my comprehension.

BTW, I am not a VET. I would suspect that VETS will allow you and others to pass out medals as you see fit. Because that's what they do, they put their butts on the line to allow the rest of us, that don't get off our butts our rights.

I find it amazing that this topic has gone on this long.

Edited by JoesBar

Me personally, I just don't see any feasibility in it. If it is a "serious" recognition, what rules would govern its awarding, and who would make the rules? What "proof" is required? Who would nominate? Geez--what a headache. If not a serious recognition, then no one should care since it is just a personal way to say "Hey you got hurt doing my cache... sorry about that." Heck, anyone could put together a "GC Medal of Honor" if they wanted too; it still wouldn't mean anything. If a cache owner wants to do anything, that is up to them--no approval is necessary, and no sanction is required. Award all the GCPHs you want. [23 year vet still on active duty, fighting for your freedom to give out all the GCPHs to your heart's content]. I don't think there can ever be any "official" GCPH anyway [see above].

FWIW - this coin was done a LONG time ago:

camoheart.gif

Seems like a LOT of bickering and back and forth could have been avoided if somebody had looked this up.

I believe it was called a "camo heart" coin. Non trackable, produced well over a year ago.

edited to add opinion (how could I forget?):

I would hate to see anything called a Purple Heart for reasons already mentioned. Whether it's tongue-in-cheek or not it's just not something that I see as making a "copy" of. And yes, I have a sense of humor and can see the difference but that's something that is earned (maybe not the best word to use).

It's been done, folks, no new ground to break here!

The coin already exists, tastefully done; get yourself one if you want!

I hope folks will see how silly it is to argue over something that has already been done and let this one die.

Ed

I truly appreciate your willingness to do it all again. However, if given the chance, I would recommend that you move just a bit to the right. :anicute:

Har-di-har-har. :):huh:;)

Me personally, I just don't see any feasibility in it. If it is a "serious" recognition, what rules would govern its awarding, and who would make the rules? What "proof" is required? Who would nominate? Geez--what a headache. If not a serious recognition, then no one should care since it is just a personal way to say "Hey you got hurt doing my cache... sorry about that." Heck, anyone could put together a "GC Medal of Honor" if they wanted too; it still wouldn't mean anything. If a cache owner wants to do anything, that is up to them--no approval is necessary, and no sanction is required. Award all the GCPHs you want. [23 year vet still on active duty, fighting for your freedom to give out all the GCPHs to your heart's content]. I don't think there can ever be any "official" GCPH anyway [see above].

I really don't think anyone is suggesting such a medal to be a "serious" recognition. It would simply be "awarded" in fun by one's fellow (local) cachers.

No rules, no value.

That is what makes this debate both poignant AND ridiculous at the same time.

Frankly this is absurd. Injuries while caching require bandaids, stitches and casts. As a combat experienced veteran, this really got my goat. You are cheapening the Purple Heart given to battle wounded soilders that gave more than blood, seat and tears so you can "present" an assinine award to a caching wounded CIVILIAN. I see the humor in it, yes, but actually creating a coin to be presented is beyond comprehension. If you want to know how the veterans feel about it, ask one and don't blame me when a 90 year old, fragile frame of a man knocks your teeth out.

Mad one OUT!!!!

Frankly this is absurd. Injuries while caching require bandaids, stitches and casts. As a combat experienced veteran, this really got my goat. You are cheapening the Purple Heart given to battle wounded soilders that gave more than blood, seat and tears so you can "present" an assinine award to a caching wounded CIVILIAN. I see the humor in it, yes, but actually creating a coin to be presented is beyond comprehension. If you want to know how the veterans feel about it, ask one and don't blame me when a 90 year old, fragile frame of a man knocks your teeth out.

Mad one OUT!!!!

Thanks for dredging up this thread. I thought it died a glorious death.

BTW, you might note that many combat experienced vets had already responded to it. Some agreed with you, but others did not. I wonder if you wouldn't mind sending me a PM so we can discuss the issue further privately.

:smile::D:D

That would be a 'friendly fire' incident, wouldn't it?

Greetings Moose,

I am a 25 year veteran of the military and almost got a purple heart. An insurgent with an AK47 did a drive by while I was walking toward a road in Kirkuk. Fortunately, he wasn't well trained and missed me even though he was less than 100 yards away.

To answer everyone's questions, the injury must have occurred as a direct result of enemy action. A warrior, (note the term warrior and not soldier because the Army are soldiers, to talk only about soldiers makes the Airmen, Marines, and Sailors feel left out, and no, soldier is not a generic term for a person in the military) falls on his knife while fighting the enemy they are eligible for the PH. If the wound is self-inflicted the answer is no that warrior only qualifies for a court martial.

To be frank with everyone here, I have a purple geocoin shaped like a heart approved. I think I might be opening myself up to allot of bashing here, but I did some research on the issue first. I discussed this with my commander, first sergeant and other people that I work with and got smiles and nods. One of my supervisors has a PH and I approached him with the idea and his biggest concern was if he really had to get hurt to be able to get the coin, when I said no he told me to put him down for one.

Not looking for bashing but I am willing to have an adult, lets discuss this issue conversation.

I am a combat proven vet with 25 years experience in the AF. I helped open up Kirkuk AB and got shot at, mortared, scudded. I have been TDY to three combat areas and I know quite a few military widows and didn't get any negative comments from any of them. My father got a PH in Vietnam, and my grandfather was awarded a PH in Germany. My Dad thought the idea of a coin for an injury while geocaching humorous.

I have been involved with the Boy Scouts for going on 10 years now and have seen many scouts get a purple cardboard heart taped to their chest for being hurt during scouting events.

I also understand that everyone has an opinion and because of the diversity of our awesome country not everyone will agree. Believe it or not a friend of mine proposed geocoins based on endangered species and someone got angry and said that would cheapen the animals existence!

The coin is 1 1/2 inches wide, 3mm thick and shaped like a Valentine's heart. The obverse is purple enamel with no writing on it. The reverse is white enamel and has the tracking number, the phrase "track at geocaching.com," and another phrase that says, "awarded for sustaining an injury while geocaching." I did not put the word, "wounded" on the coin because that is the term used to decide if a warrior should be awarded the PH. I have had some suggestions like putting a small bandaid on the front of the coin or making it a purple ammo can instead but I think ammo cans are being overdone. And, believe it or not, there are some in our geocaching community trying to get ammo cans outlawed as geocaches. I don't know of anyone contacting geocaching.com about ammo cans but I have seen articles about ammo can geocaches blown up by bomb squads and concern that that is hurting geocaching. No matter what the topic someone will object!

Thoughts please?

Anyway, I am totally willing to listen to mature arguments for/against the coin.