Geocaching Purple Heart

etriley4

A quick google search pulled up some cache pages and profile pages stating that a person was awarded the geocaching purple heart for an injury associated with the cache or a cache find. I got the impression that people "awarded" these to themselves, but I didn't dig deeper to find out. Seems like a cute concept.

Edited by carleenp

This strikes me as an odd topic, but I am going to assume it is serious.

Here is a link to some basice information about the purple heart.

Are you perhaps thinking about a "geocaching purple heart" to be awarded to cachers who are injured whilst caching?

As such it would in my opinion be a joke award.

I am not necessarily against it, but I suspect there might be some veterans that would be offended by the prospect. Certainly if logging fake finds "cheapens" the achievement of cachers who log fairly, calling a geocaching award a "purple heart" could be construed to "cheapen" the real medal and what it stands for.

<switching to humorous, politically satirical mode>

If I get three of them within a year for, say maybe... thorn cuts, can I be honourably discharged from caching?

</ politically satirical mode> :):P (smileys added to reinforce humour)

We've awarded some Geocaching purple hearts to people in our area, for instance, CCmin who broke her leg while caching. Patudles made up some really cool purple hearts for an event.

Where do you get them? And are they for serious injuries whioe caching?

Patudles made them, using some resources she found on the site and other places. And yes, ccmin's leg break was a pretty good one.

I can't remember all the particulars, I'll try to get Patudles to post here.

>snip<

Are you perhaps thinking about a "geocaching purple heart" to be awarded to cachers who are injured whilst caching?

As such it would in my opinion be a joke award.

I am not necessarily against it, but I suspect there might be some veterans that would be offended by the prospect. Certainly if logging fake finds "cheapens" the achievement of cachers who log fairly, calling a geocaching award a "purple heart" could be construed to "cheapen" the real medal and what it stands for.

>snip<

I agree. I think that might raise more problems than it is worth.

Not that i'm against it at all. I just think a different name would be a good idea.

... I am not necessarily against it, but I suspect there might be some veterans that would be offended by the prospect. Certainly if logging fake finds "cheapens" the achievement of cachers who log fairly, calling a geocaching award a "purple heart" could be construed to "cheapen" the real medal and what it stands for. ...

I think that most veterans are big boys and unlikely to take offense for such a silly reason.

... I am not necessarily against it, but I suspect there might be some veterans that would be offended by the prospect. Certainly if logging fake finds "cheapens" the achievement of cachers who log fairly, calling a geocaching award a "purple heart" could be construed to "cheapen" the real medal and what it stands for. ...

I think that most veterans are big boys and unlikely to take offense for such a silly reason.

As a veteran myself, I actually find it quite a funny idea. I say go for it... but if you have to change it, call it the "red/blue heart".

I think John Kerry, and his little scratches, made a bigger joke out of Purple Hearts than we ever could.

Realizing this is derailing the topic, but I gotta ask...

If a soldier is wounded by friendly fire, do they still get a purple heart?

Individuals wounded or killed as a result of "friendly fire" in the "heat of battle" will be awarded the Purple Heart as long as the "friendly" projectile or agent was released with the full intent of inflicting damage or destroying enemy troops or equipment.
Just for your knowledge, if a soldier receives a self-inflicted wound, he is eligible for the purple heart if the wound was received in the "heat of battle" and not involving gross negligence. Edited by sbell111

Back in February, I "awarded" a virtual geocaching purple heart to a cacher who injured herself while pursuing one of my caches. rvrhippy worked up a great purple heart and I wrote the text. I felt bad that she injured herself by slipping on ice at my first waypoint, and I wanted to recognize her tenacity. Here it is below -- feel free to use it, but please credit rvrhippy with creating it.

a97d9e45-2399-45ca-93d3-6d4bb06e3b5a.jpg

Here's the link to the log in which I awarded it to the cacher:

Awarding the Geocaching Purple Heart

Team Maccabee

Interesting. I seriously hope you are not using a likeness of the real Purple Heart award (Oops! You are.), because you could find yourself in some very serious legal trouble, which could include jail time and fines. I am pretty sure the Purple Heart society would not be amused at this whimsical disrespect for one of our nation’s highest awards, tenth in precedence. Freedom is not free, and the Purple Heart represents the nation’s recognition of those who have given more than their fair share. Not a sermon, just a thought.

S/F Wildman

Call it the Badge of Geocaching Merit.

The Purple Heart started out as the Badge Of Military Merit but is rarely called that today.

Recipients of the Purple Heart do have an interest in identifying fraudulent claims. For whatever reason some folks feel the need to be recognized for things that never happened.

The Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) represents the interests and maintains a fraternity of recipients and also has an interest in how that badge is regarded.

I like the idea, just hope that you will choose another name so as to avoid confusion and issues.

Ed

Well, what's the most common injury? (maybe we can make an icon based on that).

Walking off a cliff while looking at your gps?

Straining your shoulder opening an ammocan?

Stumbling and falling down?

Digging through trinkets and poking yourself on a pocket knife?

Edited by BlueDeuce

Some of us vets are big girls too, not just big boys <_<

I served in the zone during the first gulf event, aka Desert Shield/Storm.

That image while close is different enough that the Military & related groups would have a hell of a time trying to sue over it, they wont win, all they could possibly hope for is enough pressure & threats to get it changed.

As a webdesigner I've already been involved with someone who claimed that I ripped off her design of a "Order's" shield in a Online MP-RPG. I spoke to a trademark lawyer & the difference was subtle, not enough to see at first glance but prominent enough upon comparision to shut her up. Hehehe.

As a vet I could care less if a geocaching purple heart is given, most will know its a joke or a play upon the real deal so some people need to lighten up & enjoy this hobby we play.

Back in February, I "awarded" a virtual geocaching purple heart to a cacher who injured herself while pursuing one of my caches. rvrhippy worked up a great purple heart and I wrote the text. I felt bad that she injured herself by slipping on ice at my first waypoint, and I wanted to recognize her tenacity. Here it is below -- feel free to use it, but please credit rvrhippy with creating it.

a97d9e45-2399-45ca-93d3-6d4bb06e3b5a.jpg

Team Maccabee

Looks good to me.

I don't see how anyone could mistake this for a real Purple Heart. The differences are obvious enough to show it is not meant to be a counterfeit but similar enough that all will recognise it quickly for what it is.

Do I qualify for one? After my first two days of caching, and playing with all the buttons on my nifty new toy, I had a case of GPSr thumb like you wouldn't believe! I couldn't even hold a pencil for two more days.

Or do I have to bleed?

;)

I think bleeding and breaking are required.... :D

Seriously, this was meant as a tongue-in-cheek virtual award, i.e. there was no physical manifestation of the "award" and it is not meant to be confused with or compared to the real, more serious, more meaningful Purple Heart medal.

I figured that cache owners would present it to someone else virtually, i.e. via a cache log. I presented it as a cache owner to a cacher that was hurt while pursuing one of my caches.

Team Maccabee

Edited by Team Maccabee

I was in the military. I vote yes to a medal, but use a different name. I don't take offense to it, but some will. Imagine if you had a purple heart and NO leg. Wouldn't be so funny would it.

Even if you only offend 5 real purple heart bearer's, that is 5 people that were hurt badly for us.... just seems we can have more respect for them.

I was in the military. I vote yes to a medal, but use a different name. I don't take offense to it, but some will. Imagine if you had a purple heart and NO leg. Wouldn't be so funny would it.

Even if you only offend 5 real purple heart bearer's, that is 5 people that were hurt badly for us.... just seems we can have more respect for them.

I see your point there, having been in the military myself (although never deployed to a war zone). Better safe than sorry, but of course, this is not a formal "award" that is earned. I just made it up for one cacher. In the future, if I ever give it out again (hopefully not), I'll change the name a bit to differentiate it a bit further. Other geocachers will do what they do. A good discussion, though.

Team Maccabee

a97d9e45-2399-45ca-93d3-6d4bb06e3b5a.gif

Team Maccabee

Looks good to me.

I don't see how anyone could mistake this for a real Purple Heart. The differences are obvious enough to show it is not meant to be a counterfeit but similar enough that all will recognise it quickly for what it is.

Having 2 uncles that received the Purple Heart posthumously, and being a Disabled Veteran myself and a full-time Veterans' Advocate, I find that image disturbing.

If you insist on having a Geocaching purple heart, do it without ridiculing the honorable Purple Heart.

:anibad:

I am a vet who was injured whilst on active service, your so called Purple Heart should be called the "(removed by moderator)" award. If you can't geocache without hurting yourself, then stay at home. Or better still join the idots who collect geocoins and imagine that they are caching.

Many have given there lives to us and the only Honor that they have received is the Purple Heart. This idea does nothing but insult.

Hummer H1 ex 22nd Reg SAS

SO, what do you recommend?

Edited by mtn-man