New Firmware eXplorist 210 EU

erka

Hello there,

I uploaded the new firmware to my eXplorist 210 EU (Netherlands)

Can anyone please explane VMG (Velocity made good) to me? I really don't have an idea what that is........ :P

I have to find out what the use of the new screens is.

Projection is fine in geocaching! It seems to me that the aquisition of satelite signals is much faster than it used to be, even thru my coated windscreen of my car! :)

Greetz,

Erka

Edited by erka

In a nutshell, it's your speed relative to the point you are navigating to.

Velocity itself is a combination of speed and direction. If you are moving tangentially toward a POI, not all of your velocity is going in the right direction. Say a POI is due north of you, and you are travelling northeast. There is a north component and east component to your velocity. If my understanding of VMG is correct, the VMG displayed will be that of north component of your velocity.

If someone can give a better definition or explanation, please do.

Edited to add link to a table of Garmin data fields, but the definition of VMG should still apply.

Edited by geognerd

In a nutshell, it's your speed relative to the point you are navigating to.

Velocity itself is a combination of speed and direction. If you are moving tangentially toward a POI, not all of your velocity is going in the right direction. Say a POI is due north of you, and you are travelling northeast. There is a north component and east component to your velocity. If my understanding of VMG is correct, the VMG displayed will be that of north component of your velocity.

If someone can give a better definition or explanation, please do.

Edited to add link to a table of Garmin data fields, but the definition of VMG should still apply.

Thanks,

I understand. So, unless you are moving straight to the POI, the VMG is always lower than the actual velocity.

Erka