For those who dislike so-called "Travel Bug Prisons"

Sparrowhawk

I'm curious what people would think would make a good traveler for this card.

A shank probably wouldn't be appropriate.

I would say a wooden door stop... stick the door open so people travel bugs can come and more more easily :)

I like it. Now you got me thinking.

I would say more like a small flat rasp file. :D

I'm curious what people would think would make a good traveler for this card.

A shank probably wouldn't be appropriate.

I would say a wooden door stop... stick the door open so people travel bugs can come and more more easily :)

I like it. Now you got me thinking.

I would say more like a small flat rasp file. :D

How about a small crowbar?

Actually... I think the best would require the skills of someone who does Sculpey clay... a rasp sticking out of a little cake, as if someone was trying to hide it in there.

I agree that prisons are bad and should be stopped, but is it your job to do that...is that even your intent?

Who do think it should be?

About this item:

How would you like it if you went on vacation, stayed for a while, and when it was time to go, the hotel desk clerk said that you couldn't leave because there was no other guest to take your place?

So you're sitting glumly in the hotel lobby, waiting for someone to come by to set you free. Other guests who also wish to check out join you for the long wait. Taxis and buses drive by the hotel, heading toward your destination, but they aren't allowed to pick you up because they have no passengers to drop off.

Finally a new guest arrives. "Free at last!" you think to yourself, and pick up your bags to leave.

Not so fast! The new arrival gets to decide who goes free. And it's not necessarily you, even though you've been waiting the longest. "That family over there, the one with the cute kids -- they can go," the new arrival says. You stand there, bags in hand, stunned. The desk clerk sneers at you.

Not your idea of a fun vacation? Well, that's just what goes on at the "TB Hotels" which require a one-for-one bug swap, or which have a minimum-number-of-bugs rule. The cache owners are holding your bugs hostage for their own amusement, blithely ignoring the bugs' goals.

This bug's mission is to rescue the hostages that are being held in those TB prisons. If you are holding this bug, take it to a TB Hotel that has restrictive trade rules, and swap all of the bugs inside for this one. Distribute the newly liberated bugs in caches with no TB trade restrictions.

If the prison warden gives you a hard time for breaking his rules, tell him that it's not your fault: the rules on the bug that you were holding said that you had to do it. Feel free to blame us.

I would think the people that should handle this are the PTB!!! If someone kidnaps a person, who do you call??? Why would you want to cause problems to solve a problem???

WOW...so ANARCHY rules???? That's not a very good way to keep the peace!! Maybe everyone needs to SHOUT a bit louder about this topic!!! You see, I don't DISAGREE now that I know there are actually PRISONS out there, I just disagree that WE should be the ones to handle this problem...and especially in that manner!! Being rude or bashing in ANY way toward another cacher SHOULDN'T be the answer, no matter your views of their practices!!

I can't imagine there being NO way for the PTB to handle this, and leaving this up to US to work out causes nothing but problems!!!

Well, it's been my experience that people don't change unless it effects them. If we ask someone to remove restrictions and they say no, then we have no choice but to ignore their rules.

GC.com does require that we behave ourselves and not be abusive. People, such as Eartha, are aware of this bug and unless we are told it's out of line, it's not out of line. You are the one trying to temper the amount of angst we are applying to these cache owners. That's within your rights, as it is (the collective) ours to disagree with you.

edit: typo

Edited by BlueDeuce

maybe I'm reaching here!!!

I know nothing... I see nothing... nope, not saying A DARN THING...

:(

(Tries hard to hold it in, stay all polite... then reads the more posts that fit that description...)

AUGGGHH!!! I can't stand it... ;)

:D;)

Aw man... I don't want to sound like making fun of anyone, but the overuse so many goofy exclamation points, AND this trying to make this TB tempest in a teapot look like Mt. Saint Helens...

I mean, all that sky-is-falling energy over TRAVEL BUGS...

I'm sorry to tell you this... but normally one goes into THAT much extreme argument energy and panic and !!! marks over truly scary :( things. You know, things like wars, threats to family, friends, or fires, extreme loss of life, terrorists, solders dying, killer epidemics, serial killers... as in, REAL CRISES. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'm sorry, but yes, for the record, you ARE reaching here. I know you mean well, but... well... (how to put this?)

It's kinda like watching some character standing on a kitchen chair freaking out and screaming panic bloody murder over seeing a mouse. Nothing against you, but I'm sorry... that's just what it honestly looks like. (as much as even I don't want to see it that way!)

The truth of the matter is... a mouse on the floor is not a terrorist-threat-level crisis, it's an annoyance.

Similarly, a joke travel bug making fun of the whole idea of "prisons" and "jails" ain't no crisis either, especially not worth THAT much panic-energy writing style and exclamation points.

Treating this mouse-level subject with that kind of "crisis" (ANARCHY!!! KIDS MAY SEE IT!!! OH MY GOD!!!) writing style makes for unintentional comedy, because you do end up shooting yourself in the foot in the process, just trying to get your point accross.

Just wondering... has it ever happened that you wished you knew why you may have felt like no one takes you seriously, or why others may cross to the point of rude in responding to you? It's all in one's chosen communication approach. Please quit doing that to yourself... there are more gentle, philosophical methods one can use to express any subject, communication-wise, that can make any person's concern be taken much more seriously by their peers and not inspire lack of courtesy from others. Please consider researching that before making yourself look more (errr.... I won't say it) here in these forums, or perhaps other places.

Realize that sometimes deliberately explaining things with a reasoned, gentle sense of perspective - rather than histronic emotion - can be more effective to change the opinions of a whole lotta people. I have good faith that you can accomplish that and I offer positive thoughts to you in that direction.

Moderatiors, I respectfully request this topic be closed... thanks.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

I realize this is SOOO far over your head it isn't even funny there SH...but small birds have small minds...and that's truly scary!! Why do you try to antagonize ANYONE at all?? You have absolutely no manners and are just plain rude!!!! (too many exclamation points for you???)

Don't bother closing this thread...it's all yours pal!! Leveling with one as yourself IS a waste of time...like talking to a small child that is late for a nap!!

edit to add: What makes you the voice of this sort of TB??? You have 5 TBs floating around, what??? Afraid that a "prison" is going to "kidnap" one of those??? Why are you making this TB...maybe you think you'll be HERALDED as the TB saint??? Or are you trying to make a name from someone else's idea which you more or less copied and made offensive?? If I were the one you are trying to "emulate", I'd be embarrassed for you.

5 TBS...the spokesman against TB prisons!!! Wow!!!! (ooop...too many !!!! again!!)

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I realize this is SOOO far over your head it isn't even funny there SH...but small birds have small minds...and that's truly scary!! Why do you try to antagonize ANYONE at all?? You have absolutely no manners and are just plain rude!!!! (too many exclamation points for you???)

I guess I missed the antangonizing part... Is telling someone their cache is a TB 'prison' antagonizing? If they're going to get upset about about that, they'll be upset nomatter what you call it because it still comes down to "this cache has owner inpossed rules I don't agree with".

No Renegade....that's just not the point at all! You see, I thought before that such prisons didn't exist, but I have learned otherwise. I agree that the prisons should be stopped but with TACT and not rudeness...and certainly not questionable material as telling someone it's fine to disobey a rule since you don't agree.

Let's look on the other foot for a sec....what if the CACHE owner decides he /she doesn't like a TB because it asks you not to place it in city caches??? What about the cacher that decides they don't like coins in their cache...since they don't like the coin in their cache, would it be ok to throw them away because the CACHE owner decided it's alright...and "blame the cache owner" if they don't like it...

You see, some cachers might not even KNOW they are running a TB prison in the first place...so slamming them with a TB like that just MIGHT antagonize someone! Someone might not see your views as the golden rule and take exception of the TB and that's antagonizing too. The lady with the "good intent" might meet the cache owner wwith an attitude...that's antagonistic too!!

TACT and respect are simple and easy ways to get your point across WITHOUT antagonizing someone to act badly! Telling my son it's fine to disobey the rules because you don't like them (yes, even if the rules are illegal) is BAD and I'm not liking it! How do you change the actions of rule breakers??? Take action against them THROUGH the proper channels. I really can't imagine the PTB would leave everyone to "fend for themselves" when that will only cause strife and encourage further bad actions.

I'd bet that if everyone took the same energy as it took to make that silly TB and put it to GOOD use like writing the PTB and asking for change, we'd likely get further without STRIFE. I already did...why not try yourselves???

edit to add: yes, probably impressive...but how did the tempest get into the teapot in the first place??

edit to add: ooops...sorry Renegade...I meant to say the no not the point comment to Welch!! Must be slipping!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy