For those who dislike so-called "Travel Bug Prisons"

Sparrowhawk

As inspired by the geocaching team "The Hermit Crabs" with their "Get Out Of (TB) Jail Free" travel bug:

Introducing the new Make your own "Get out of (TB) Jail Free" PDF template!

The text on the template:

"This TB's mission to liberate all Travel Bugs held hostage in TB Hotels which have swap policies of 1 to 1 or more - or to keep a certain minimum number of Travel Bugs in the cache. If you are holding this bug, please take it to a restrictive-rule TB cache. Then swap all of the bugs inside for this one.

(This TB was inspired by TB# “TBJQ2F” which pioneered the concept.)

If the cache-owner gives you trouble for breaking his/her rules, tell him that it's not your fault: the rules for THIS bug says you MUST do that. Feel free to blame this TB's owner."

Take a look at the PDF and let me know what you think. :)

Edited by Sparrowhawk

How about a laminated Monopoly Get out of Jail Free card?

That's been done already - The Hermit Crabs already came up with that idea.

67f85eaa-9eec-4751-bfba-3e4da4f6c330.jpg

I took that inspiration and took it a bit further, customizing the card for the rest of us geocachers.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

How about a laminated Monopoly Get out of Jail Free card?

That's been done already - The Hermit Crabs came up with that idea.

I took that idea and took it a bit further, customizing the card for us geocachers.

hmmm, Doesn't it take 50 Monopoly bucks to buy your way out of jail? I could laminate one of those. Or maybe use an old padlock.

Boy

How disrespectful of your fellow cachers is this. Just because you don't agree with one cachers aspect of the game doesn't mean you should disrespectful of his wishes. You are making the caching game by your rules and passing those rules to others. I find it highly disrespectful to your fellow cachers. What would you do if your TB came to me with that mission and I keep the TB. Hey, my rule now is to keep any TB with that tag on it. It superceeds any mission on your bug now.

I would never do that cause I realize that not all people have the same idea of what caching is that I do. If it weren't for TBs movement, I probably wouldn't cache. That is just what I enjoy about this hobby. Some locals look at my TB obsession as not a real part of caching. I say fine..caching is what you want it to be.

So in closing, I find this very disrespectful for those who have what you term jails. If you don't like them, don't visit them. I tend to like them and do own one.

Enjoy your form of caching

Happy Trails

Ron

The Justice League of NM

Boy

How disrespectful of your fellow cachers is this. Just because you don't agree with one cachers aspect of the game doesn't mean you should disrespectful of his wishes. You are making the caching game by your rules and passing those rules to others. I find it highly disrespectful to your fellow cachers. What would you do if your TB came to me with that mission and I keep the TB. Hey, my rule now is to keep any TB with that tag on it. It superceeds any mission on your bug now.

I would never do that cause I realize that not all people have the same idea of what caching is that I do. If it weren't for TBs movement, I probably wouldn't cache. That is just what I enjoy about this hobby. Some locals look at my TB obsession as not a real part of caching. I say fine..caching is what you want it to be.

So in closing, I find this very disrespectful for those who have what you term jails. If you don't like them, don't visit them. I tend to like them and do own one.

Happy Trails

Ron

The Justice League of NM

WOOO! I don't think it is disrespectful of TB & Geocoins to want to see them moving, not sitting in a motel (JAIL) for months just because the person finding the cache doen't have one to trade. Yes, I see that you have a jail GCKEW7 Sure hope none of my trackable end up there. I don't mean to be disrespectable to you. Just wanted to give you my view.

Boy

Happy Trails

Ron

The Justice League of NM

You are making the caching game by your rules and passing those rules to others.

Really, and what do you call caches with bug trade requirements, a typo?

Apparently disrespect is in the eye of the person who didn't purchase and release the bug.

Boy

Happy Trails

Ron

The Justice League of NM

WOOO! I don't think it is disrespectful of TB & Geocoins to want to see them moving, not sitting in a motel (JAIL) for months just because the person finding the cache doen't have one to trade. Yes, I see that you have a jail GCKEW7 Sure hope none of my trackable end up there. I don't mean to be disrespectable to you. Just wanted to give you my view.

Can you give me an example of your TB being stuck in a cache for long periods of time? In my JAIL at this time is one TB that has been there for two months...but the jail has been visited time and time again. Problem is, the travel bug has no info on it so no one takes it. There were plenty of opportunities for it to move but cause the hitchhiker is nondiscript and no mission, no one cares. I would say to you if you don't want your TB to end up in a JAIL, but that on the mission. However, who cares about the mission of TBs these days?

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel.

BD and I have been around the block on this a few times....we agree on some things and like to disagree on others! PRISON is such a rude and offensive way to characterize someone's cache it should be outlawed...caching is a FUN game and as such we cachers should be NICE and RESPECTFUL of EVERYONE!!! The "rules" you cry out about are NOT hardlined rules, they are requests for others to be considerate of others and if you are out SOLELY for TB collecting, please leave one behind for the next cacher to enjoy too!! I can't talk for everyone as I don't know (or even pretend to know) their intent, but all TB hotel owners I have talked with have said much the same thing!!

I have no "prisons" (as you love to represent them as), but I AM thinking of placing a hotel out...and my "rules" will read: PLEASE take ALL that you can help, leave any you can't but please TRY to trade fair WHENEVER POSSIBLE! We want this to be fun for EVERYONE!! A prison??? It seems to have revolving doors to me!!

I agree that the owner of the TB has a right to put restrictions on their TB...why must you all take it to this level??? Let me tell you this: IF your TB is nice or interesting or has a cool mission or whatever, it WILL move no matter where it ends up! Placing these little tags on a TB MAY rile some TB "prison" owner into doing just what THJ said...steal them for spite!!! Then we have a bunch of strife over BS!!!!

Out here, a TB that sits for more than a week has been muggled!! TBs FLY out of this area often (I and some of my TB collector friends see to this)...but we always try to replace those TBs with new ones from another area!! Key word here being TRY!!! I am guilty of grabbing up TB without trade (did just the other day), but that's rare for me as I USUALLY carry my bag of TBs with me wherever I go. Not always though!!

Why not try being NICE about this and, if your TB seems to be stuck in a TB hotel for too long, why not write that person and ASK them to move it along for you...most would be happy to help out!!! Most ARE that friendly!!

AND...JUSTICE LEAGUE...if you KNOW that's the reason for that TB sitting in your hotel, why won't you go out and give it the proper papers??? Then it WILL move (if that truly is the reason). Common courtesy on all ends will keep this a fun and enjoyable sport for all to enjoy!!

edit for simple errors because I was just too lazy to proof read...until I posted it!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Also...I know not who this Hermit's Crab is...but come on guys, just because one says this, you all must jump on??? If HC jumped off a bridge, would you follow him (or her) there too?? One person's feelings shouldn't dictate law! My thought about all this is that the GC handbook should be rewritten to include POLITE actions and make some of those "rules" more of suggestions!!

edit to add: NOT being disrespectful of HC or ANYONE here, just pointing out what seems obvious to me!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Trade restrictions are completely and utterly unnecessary. If bugs fly out of caches then there is no need to have restrictions.. The cache owner says I need to make sure people play fairly. Pshaw, they want people to play the game their way and I say that ain't right.

Keep your restrictions off my bugs and we won’t have any thing to disagree about.

And I go around the block a lot of times on this issue, somebody shows up and says we have no right to ignore their rules. I say too bad.

Edited by BlueDeuce

BD and I have been around the block on this a few times....we agree on some things and like to disagree on others! PRISON is such a rude and offensive way to characterize someone's cache it should be outlawed...caching is a FUN game and as such we cachers should be NICE and RESPECTFUL of EVERYONE!!! The "rules" you cry out about are NOT hardlined rules, they are requests for others to be considerate of others and if you are out SOLELY for TB collecting, please leave one behind for the next cacher to enjoy too!! I can't talk for everyone as I don't know (or even pretend to know) their intent, but all TB hotel owners I have talked with have said much the same thing!!

I have no "prisons" (as you love to represent them as), but I AM thinking of placing a hotel out...and my "rules" will read: PLEASE take ALL that you can help, leave any you can't but please TRY to trade fair WHENEVER POSSIBLE! We want this to be fun for EVERYONE!! A prison??? It seems to have revolving doors to me!!

I agree that the owner of the TB has a right to put restrictions on their TB...why must you all take it to this level??? Let me tell you this: IF your TB is nice or interesting or has a cool mission or whatever, it WILL move no matter where it ends up! Placing these little tags on a TB MAY rile some TB "prison" owner into doing just what THJ said...steal them for spite!!! Then we have a bunch of strife over BS!!!!

Out here, a TB that sits for more than a week has been muggled!! TBs FLY out of this area often (I and some of my TB collector friends see to this)...but we always try to replace those TBs with new ones from another area!! Key word here being TRY!!! I am guilty of grabbing up TB without trade (did just the other day), but that's rare for me as I USUALLY carry my bag of TBs with me wherever I go. Not always though!!

Why not try being NICE about this and, if your TB seems to be stuck in a TB hotel for too long, why not write that person and ASK them to move it along for you...most would be happy to help out!!! Most ARE that friendly!!

AND...JUSTICE LEAGUE...if you KNOW that's the reason for that TB sitting in your hotel, why won't you go out and give it the proper papers??? Then it WILL move (if that truly is the reason). Common courtesy on all ends will keep this a fun and enjoyable sport for all to enjoy!!

edit for simple errors because I was just too lazy to proof read...until I posted it!!

OH Great idea Rockin Roddy....that never crossed my mine. And I even have a box of zips in the cache for people to replace worn ones. I will print one up and see that it gets placed on the TB. I feel like a dork...that should have been done some time ago. :ph34r:

Now BD...let's play nicely!! NOBODY said you MUST...we are asking that you TRY!! There's always going to be the hardarse out there that will say "to hell with being considerate".

Many would say the same about your labels on their caches BD (YOUR NOT being you personally)!! That's the point of it all!! If you seem to think that restrictions on hotels are unnecessary, how do you think many feel about the rules you place on the TBs??? To me, it seems insulting that I MUST be told what the TRAVEL means in the TB!! BUT, not everyone can read and comprehend I guess...that's where the SUGGESTIONS and politely worded instructions, NOT "rules", should be included.

Placing rules...on either side...automatically means that strife is likely!! Recommendations and polite suggestions would likely work much better!!! Why wouldn't we all want this to be a FUN sport??? One without strife and hard feelings!!!

A great friend told me that WRONG is one of the worst words someone can use...check out the reaction you get when you tell someone they are WRONG!!! The WRONG person instantly gets defensive and arguements often ensue. There is no WRONG way to this sport...just different opinions...and everyone plays this sport their way!!

Boy

How disrespectful of your fellow cachers is this. ...Ron

The Justice League of NM

You need to think what you are saying all the way through.

Most travel bugs are released with goals or to just travel with no goal in particular.

Then come travel bug hotels that have trade rules that get in the way of those goals.

It has been widely decided in the court of geocaching that the bugs goals trump any travel bug hotel rule. Also the travel bug hotel already messes around with travel bug goals and rules to begin with.

Now you have a travel bug who's goal is to free other travel bugs from hotels with trading rules. This is no more and no less disrespectful of the hotel as the hotel is of travel bugs.

...caching is a FUN game and as such we cachers should...

As a general rule I have found that people who say that are:

1) about to state exactly why they are not having fun.

2) about to state exactly how the game should be played so they are having fun.

3) about to blame others for the fun they are not having.

So to pour a liberal dose of reality on all that non fun. The hotels can hold bugs in a single cache location for extended periods of time against the owners wishes (prison is such a short way to say all that) and as such a fun way to spring them out is this TB idea. Or in your terms the hotel has a reqest and the TB has a reqest and that keeps the cosmic balance. Especially since you view the requests as optional.

Nobody is intending harm.

I agree...remove the restrictions and no more strife!!! BUT it IS a two way street!!! Why do you keep calling them RESTRICTIONS though???

If someone DOES actually have a strongly worded RESTRICTION on their hotel OR TB, that should be changed to a polite suggestion!! I won't put restrictions on ANY of my caches OR TBs...I might suggest to you to play fairly IF possible, I might ask you to NOT leave my TB at an event or in a way out location...but I would merely suggest this.

Truly...there will always be someone with the restrictions, I (nor anyone other than that person) can control this. If you really can't handle your TB sitting in a "prison", the best way to avoid this is to NOT release one at all!! Once it goes out in the wild, it is subject to WHATEVER happens. Placing 'RULES" on the TB won't make it any safer, it may just make it MORE vulnerable to MUGGLES...and placing "restrictions" on a cache won't lend to it's popularity and places you on a list that you'd rather not be on.

edit to add: It really doesn't matter to me...I followed TT's rules with no problem at all, we are good friends because of this (and many other reasons of course). Likewise, I have no problem following the rules placed on a cache. But I'm an easy going person who just wants to be happy at what I do! Yes my TBs want to travel, but I don't think I'm going to lose much sleep if one ends up sitting in a hotel for longer than a few days or weeks. I MIGHT write the owner and ASK if they would check to assure my TB is safe...I may even ASK them to move it if possible. That's the beauty of this sport, we CAN contact others and ASK simple favors from time to time!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I agree...remove the restrictions and no more strife!!! BUT it IS a two way street!!! Why do you keep calling them RESTRICTIONS though???

If someone DOES actually have a strongly worded RESTRICTION on their hotel OR TB, that should be changed to a polite suggestion!! I won't put restrictions on ANY of my caches OR TBs...I might suggest to you to play fairly IF possible, I might ask you to NOT leave my TB at an event or in a way out location...but I would merely suggest this.

Truly...there will always be someone with the restrictions, I (nor anyone other than that person) can control this. If you really can't handle your TB sitting in a "prison", the best way to avoid this is to NOT release one at all!! Once it goes out in the wild, it is subject to WHATEVER happens. Placing 'RULES" on the TB won't make it any safer, it may just make it MORE vulnerable to MUGGLES...and placing "restrictions" on a cache won't lend to it's popularity and places you on a list that you'd rather not be on.

You do have a good view of the big picture. The only thing is that people are free to work towards making the world a better place. Even if all that means is working on travel bug issues. Like you have noted people will also face the consequences and rewards of their efforts.

We aren't disagreeing here, we are working toward an understanding...that's how it works!! Debate is how changes come about!

Wordings such as "prisons" and making those "get out of jail free" tags are not the answer. You say it's someone's way of having fun...at someone else's expense! Place the label "prison" on my cache and I'm likely to take down the cache. Who loses??? Everyone!! One less cache in the area to find. Place the get out of jail free card TB in my cache and I might take offense and burn it up and send the ashes back to the owner (don't get me wrong...this is simply playing the "what ifs" game...I wouldn't do either)...again, who loses??? EVERYONE!! one less TB to find in the wild!!

Strife isn't going to make this sport better in ANY way!! Avoiding strife is best all around!!

edit to add: after reading the pdf again, I have to say calling them HOSTAGES implies that someone has kidnapped them...that's not funny at all! Telling someone to ignore another person's guidelines NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM is DEFINITELY NOT a good idea either!! STRIFE STRIFE STRIFE!!!! All this TB will end up doing is make enemies out of fellow cachers...is that the goal???

Edited by Rockin Roddy
You say it's someone's way of having fun...at someone else's expense!

Why is it that you say this against his TB Get out of Jail Free card, but this doesn't apply to a TB prison?

I put a TB out to see it move, thats MY fun.

When my TB gets stuck in a TB prison because the restrictions on it say my TB can't be taken out unless another TB is put in is the placer of that cache's fun at MY expense.

As soon as ANY restrictions are placed, those restrictions are being made at someone else's expense.

So if the cache says there is a 1 to 1 trade policy, that is a restriction. And since some people who own these caches will delete your find log if don't follow the restrictions, this is being done at the finder's expense.

Now your argument may be, if you don't like the restrictions on the cache, don't find it or don't trade. But if it is my TB that is placed there, why should I suffer and not see my TB move just so the cache owner can have his fun of maintaining TB's in the cache?

I put my TB out and hope for it to move a lot, just as someone else puts out a TB motel and hopes people follow the request to trade TB's fairly.

But once a hard and fast restriction is placed, and it is enforced by the deletion of logs, or angry emails then it is a prison.

But if there is a note on the cache page requesting that TB's be traded fairly, but no hard rule like 1 for 1 or your find will be deleted, then it is a true hotel, not a prison.

I don't have a problem with TB hotels if there are no restrictions, but once restrictions are put into place that causes TB's not to move as easily, then I have a problem with them.

You answered your own question!! I have already stated that I disagree with the "RULES" no matter which side!!

OK...I'll bite!! If there are TRULY rules like you stated (MUST trade fair or log deletion)...that TRULY is a prison and should be shut down!! Those rules are no good at all!

I've never come across a TB hotel with rules as you've stated, if I did, I'd likely take every TB (go ahead and delete my log, I couldn't care, you are breaking rules that GC has in place). If GC were to review caches from time to time (they probably do reviews, maybe those reviews should be looking for such restrictions) and WARNED the cacher with those types of restrictions, we'd be much better for it. Keep a rule as that in place after being warned...remove the cache and be warned that further actions will ensue if this action doesn't stop!! Keep ignoring this rule...removal from GC.com!

BUT...I feel the same about that tag!! That's just the same thing in a different package (so to speak)!! Telling someone to ignore someone else's suggestions is DEFINITELY NOT the answer...what if the cache owner is in a bad mood when I visit, sees me grabbing all the TBs and not replacing any save the one with the tag?? Will the TB owner come to my rescue if the cache owner goes irate??? (no, I wouldn't need much rescue, but a little old lady or yongster MIGHT!!)

There is a common ground here, but we need to work to find it..NOT irk the cache community!! Respect and fair play should be taught while caching...this IS a family oriented sport!! Teaching little Timmy to respect others SHOULD be part of the sport...not telling him it's OK to break the rules because he doesn't agree with them!! Teaching Timmy to play fairly is just good common sense!!

I'm back. Went to do some lunchtime caches. (Found four!)

I came back to beat on Roddy some more. :ph34r:

Placing 'RULES" on the TB won't make it any safer, it may just make it MORE vulnerable to MUGGLES

Actually due to the fact that hotel are placed for easy access, they are prone to muggling more than your average cache. Closer to civilization and more likely to be stumbled over. And with a bunch of TBs to be lost.

Back in August this cache was written that not trading 1 for 1 would result in your log being deleted. The owner has since changed it .

I wondered where you went to!!

OK...then placing a rule or SUGGESTION that your TB not visit a TB hotel MIGHT be a better answer for you!! What I meant about that statement was if you place that tagged TB into a cache, you MAY upset someone and the TB MAY get taken!!

Most hotels I've visited are in the owner's yard or near their home...not all, but most! That would likely make them a bit safer than most other caches!! That's the beauty of many of the hotels!

I don't have a problem with Hotels per se, and I'm not concerned for just my bugs.

People come here to talk about trade restrictions and I challenge a practice that affects the community.

In fact I would rather have my bugs avoid events before hotels.

Edit: article

Edited by BlueDeuce

I haven't been to that cache (I don't think), and I do disagree with the rules in place there! Requiring a minimum is also bad!

PLEASE, take all you can help, leave any you can't and TRY to trade fairly IF possible! I don't know...either fairly or evenly.

That's how I would state it...and probably will when I do put my hotel out (mine will actually be a resort as I'm placing it in a beautiful state park...no, not at my house, but not too far away...and you have to pay to enter)!!

.and probably will when I do put my hotel out (mine will actually be a resort as I'm placing it in a beautiful state park...no, not at my house, but not too far away...and you have to pay to enter)!!

I'll even send you one of my TBs to start there. That way you won't have to harvest bugs against their goals to stock it. :ph34r:

Now, I MAY be guilty of that from time to time!!! I rarely read what a TBs goal is before I head out, sometimes, but not too often! It slips my mind much of the time!! A friend usually handles the planning part, I mostly drive and find the caches!!

I recently brought home a TB that wanted to go where I had just grabbed it from!! Ooops...another trip to rectify that mistake!!

Gotta go!! unemployment finally made it and I need to pay the bills!!

Send that TB...I'd be happy to start it out there!!

In my first year of geocaching, there was a TB hotel cache with a "minimum number of bugs" rule. I didn't know that according to Groundspeak, that just does not fly, so I obeyed the rule, to my regret.

There were bugs in that cache that were stuck for MONTHS. A plush bear actually rotted in there... I am not kidding. I ended up taking that one and trying my best to rescue and repair it. Not a positive situation.

If I meet a restrictive TB hotel, I am SO setting free all the bugs from now on. Period. I learned from this experience.

Jeremy Irish himself once said: "The idea is to help move the Travel Bug faster. Artificial rules just make the bugs sit in a cache for far too long. Remember folks - the first part of Travel Bug is Travel - not Trade."

I have 2 TB hotels with ZERO restrictive rules. One has existed for over 2 years and has had a total of 1033 bugs (as of this writing) pass through it in that time. It's got good placement and great camo. No bug is stuck in my cache for too long. I am proud of that.

If a TB cache has restrictive rules, they risk having a bug stuck so long that it make it risky for the bugs. Remembering what happened to that plush bear, I believe that if you care about TBs, you set them free to travel. That should come first.

By the way... for anyone using the above template I offered, be sure to post these two "List of Restrictive TB Hotels" on your bug's page.

Bookmarks list #1

Bookmarks list #2

Edited by Sparrowhawk

As I stated above...that tag will do NOTHING but cause trouble and possibly get the TB stolen, but do as you feel you must. I never knew there were "prisons' out there like that and I don't stand for those or agree with them at all...nor do I agree with that tag!!

Respect and fairness are two things that I'm SURE Jeremy would agree should be in play while caching...that tag teaches neither!

Hmmmm...

Several emails in my personal email box thanking me for this TB template...

59 watchers on the original "Get Out of (TB) Jail Free" TB...

Note after note on the "Get Out of (TB) Jail Free" praising the idea to start with...

"...possibly get the TB stolen" has NEVER happened to this bug in the year and a half it's been out...

2 VERY popular bookmark lists highlighting the restrictive TB hotels that the majority of geocachers object to...

Verrrrry interesting. :ph34r:

Edited by Sparrowhawk

It hasn't found the right person then has it??? Those praising something because it's cool or something is one thing, this is worded badly and is prone to cause problem!!

Someone who doesn't understand all this "hostage" and "prison" stuff MIGHT just not like the TB and there starts the problems! I agree with your thought, but that isn't worded in ANY way other than to tell someone to disobey someone else's rules...the 12 yr old MIGHT not understand what all that's about, but MAY get the impression that it's OK to break rules because some guy's TB says so! This IS a family sport, and playing fairly and courteously SHOULD be emphasized whenever possible!!

I'm curious what people would think would make a good traveler for this card.

A shank probably wouldn't be appropriate.

I would say a wooden door stop... stick the door open so people travel bugs can come and go more easily :ph34r:

Edited by welch

It hasn't found the right person then has it??? Those praising something because it's cool or something is one thing, this is worded badly and is prone to cause problem!!

Someone who doesn't understand all this "hostage" and "prison" stuff MIGHT just not like the TB and there starts the problems! I agree with your thought, but that isn't worded in ANY way other than to tell someone to disobey someone else's rules...the 12 yr old MIGHT not understand what all that's about, but MAY get the impression that it's OK to break rules because some guy's TB says so!

If a child watches 3 to 4 hours of noneducational TV per day, he will have seen about 8000 murders on TV by the time he or she finishes grade school.

That does not include the violent lyrics kids these days listen to in rap music, or the bloody scenes many routinely play with in video games.

:D

And you are actually worried about the very remote possible influence of a TRAVEL BUG?

:ph34r::ph34r::D:D:D:huh::huh:rofl.gif

Oh man, that is just GREAT! You actually had me there for a moment. :D

Edited by Sparrowhawk

I read through all of the responses and I am still somewhat perplexed. As someone who enjoys the movements of TBs both in the ABQ area and while I am travelling, I find the TB hotels very useful and enjoyable. That is what I look for when I travel, since most are easy and near the freeways. I don't see the ones that I know of and "watch" as prisons. In fact, for me I like my TB visiting the so called prisons cause I find the chances of them moving are greater. That is what I see...maybe others see things differently.

I like my TB hotel. It is well hidden, outside of town where no one will stumble across it. I maintain it usually two or three times a week and use it to move TBs back into ABQ and out of the city. I take note of all missions of the TBs that go thru to ensure that it is a good spot to have thme moving. I guess I get upset when it is labled a "prison" and I fly off the handle somewhat. Other than the one TB that is in there now...I haven't noticed one get stuck in there for what I would consider a long period of time. And I certainly welcome an email from anyone who wants it out of any of my caches. I would NEVER delete a log entry for any reason other than a personal attack. AS a matter of fact, someone from Seattle just visited my "prison" and freed a TB! :ph34r:

With that said, I guess I don't see the same as other cachers. I did look at my listing and I really didn't find it "restrictive" I didn't have any numbers listed but did ask to trade equally or don't take..so I guess that is "restrictive." I did reword it to see how it may change things. Maybe I will get more visits than I have...only time will tell. I don't think it was a prison or ever will be a prison. Maybe others see it differently. If so...I would say if you TB ends up in my cache..email me and I will get it out asap!

I wasn't on the TB Prison list! :ph34r:

I respect others points of views posted here. I even welcome one of those TBs in my PRISON...it would be fun to find. I find it a very original idea.

You guys didn't bash me too bad!

Ron

The Justice League of NM

Albuquerque, NM

It's called PARENTING there laughing boy...and yes, I AM worried about it! You see, I can control what my child watches, listens to, eats etc...I can't control what some nut might put in a cache, on a TB or anything like that. I WOULD hope that the person putting something out there for the public to pick up WOULD use TACT and be respectful of others...maybe I'm reaching here!!!

Like I said, I agree that prisons are bad and should be stopped, but is it your job to do that...is that even your intent??? How many TBs are you moving around that you worry sooo much about them getting stuck in a prison?? Has one of your bugs ever ended up stranded, or are you just jumping on a bandwagon because it seems like a popular stance???

LASTLY...do you TRULY think that offensive TB will HELP "free" TBs??? REALLY?????

I agree that prisons are bad and should be stopped, but is it your job to do that...is that even your intent?

Who do think it should be?

About this item:

How would you like it if you went on vacation, stayed for a while, and when it was time to go, the hotel desk clerk said that you couldn't leave because there was no other guest to take your place?

So you're sitting glumly in the hotel lobby, waiting for someone to come by to set you free. Other guests who also wish to check out join you for the long wait. Taxis and buses drive by the hotel, heading toward your destination, but they aren't allowed to pick you up because they have no passengers to drop off.

Finally a new guest arrives. "Free at last!" you think to yourself, and pick up your bags to leave.

Not so fast! The new arrival gets to decide who goes free. And it's not necessarily you, even though you've been waiting the longest. "That family over there, the one with the cute kids -- they can go," the new arrival says. You stand there, bags in hand, stunned. The desk clerk sneers at you.

Not your idea of a fun vacation? Well, that's just what goes on at the "TB Hotels" which require a one-for-one bug swap, or which have a minimum-number-of-bugs rule. The cache owners are holding your bugs hostage for their own amusement, blithely ignoring the bugs' goals.

This bug's mission is to rescue the hostages that are being held in those TB prisons. If you are holding this bug, take it to a TB Hotel that has restrictive trade rules, and swap all of the bugs inside for this one. Distribute the newly liberated bugs in caches with no TB trade restrictions.

If the prison warden gives you a hard time for breaking his rules, tell him that it's not your fault: the rules on the bug that you were holding said that you had to do it. Feel free to blame us.

I guess as the newest member to LaRobley's Top 50 Travel Bug Finder's WoldWide list (cheap and shameless plug :D ) I am qualified to chime in on this subject as I am embarking on almost 1200 trackables myself. I have a pocket querry that shows all the closest 500 caches to me with travel bugs. Most of the bugs don't move unless I move them. No one within the 100 mile radius I call my home area is too keen on travel bugs. Sometimes they move but most of the time it is because of me. I have put 15,000 miles on my truck in the last 6 months mainly moving travel bugs.

RR for where you live in Michigan there are quite the few travel bug lovers. Utah is the same way. But most states don't have the bug love that your state and Utah have. I see the good in someone grabbing all the bugs in a cache and moving them. It is the cache owners job to stock his or her travel bug hotel, not the cachers visiting. I see TB stock as part of the maintanence of one of these caches. You are making it easier for a visitor to move lots of the local areas bugs. If they leave some then they do, if they don't then it is the owners job to put more in.

I watch travel bugs sit in caches for weeks before they move. No one cares to move them. A lot of them are being placed in old caches by new cachers. The caches get visited maybe 10 times a year these days. I go one direction every weekend and grab bugs. So it takes me a month to cover the territory.

I wish we could have a poll that asks the following. Which of you cachers actually will return to a cache that you have already found to move a travel bug. I bet you would be surprised at how small the number of "I do's" would be.

Will be in Michigan Saturday visiting MaxB. Look for the big red Silverado with the oversized WWW.GEOCACHING.COM sticker on the back glass if you are in the area.

Kris