Stamping date not monumented date?

StripeMark

Just one of those things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Check out: http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=DI0825

The STAMPING states that the disk is stamped with 2006 (upon recovering this one, it is indeed stamped 2006), but yet the MONUMENTED date on the datasheet says 2005.

Why?

The datasheet also says: "The horizontal coordinates were established by GPS observations and adjusted by the MN DEPT OF TRANSP in July 2006"

So was the monument actually placed in 2005 without a date stamp, and then when the MN DEPT of TRANSportation came around in July 2006, they did the date stamping?

....just curious.

StripeMark

It could be just a typo, i.e. stamped the wrong year on the disk or the wrong year into DDPROC (descriptive data processing software).

I guess you have to ask Deb Brown if its an error or was intentional.

I found one the was recovered by NGS 20 years before is was set. Set in 1954, Recovered in 1934.

Edited by Z15

When setting control marks it is quite common for the monumenting crew to place the marks well in advance of the observation crew actually measuring to it. Particularly with marks that involve pouring concrete, this allows time for the concrete to set up, so that no movement occurs after the observations have been made. Therefore it would not be unusual for a mark to have been monumented in 2005, but not observed until 2006, at which time the stamping would have been done.

at which time the stamping would have been done.

It would be unusual for the observers to stamp the mark. The disk is almost always stamped prior to setting into the concrete from my experience. Usually only the buidling crew had the dies.

Edited by Z15

You're right, Z15 - I've done it both ways. I should not have implied that one method is predominant. I guess you have to be flexible enough to adapt to each individual situation, so neither method could be considered "usual". I carry my own set of dies whether I'm setting or observing. It's nice to have everything pre-stamped, but when Murphy's Law comes into play, as it does so often, you need a back-up plan.