Underwater benchmarks

Dionyzus

I see a recent topic on underground benchmarks so I thought I'd bring up one with a slight difference.. underwater benchmarks! What I mean is not a deliberately placed one (like in the Lasting Impressions book), but a BM on land that has since been covered by water, such as a reservoir.

I've seen some examples of these marks in Texas lakes, such as BL1018. This marker is on top of a bridge abutment, which could probably be located with sonar. Then it's a simple matter of donning the scuba gear to get a close up shot! :laughing: Of course most Texas lakes are notoriously muddy, but perhaps other parts of the country with clearer water may be better for finding this unique kind of benchmark.

I know this isn't quite what you were getting at but.... I recovered KK0696 the day after Thanksgiving, this year, on the edge of the North Fork of the South Platte River. It was on a large flat boulder, at the edge of and in the river. The BM was about 6" above the level of the water line at this time. I don't know how many CFM the river was flowing at this time, but the river was low. During the Spring runoff i'm sure that the BM can't be seen for 2 to 3 months, maybe more. I thought at the time it was a strange place for it to be placed, as Colorado doesn't lack for any boulders to use in this area. I wasn't thinking or I would have taken an area view of it to post.