Garmin MapSource US TOPO

H2oSprayer

On Garmins website, the description for the TOPO map says that it shows snowmobile trails. Could someone who owns this map look and see how well this map shows the snowmobile trails for upper Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan? I know that US TrailMaps has a map of snowmobile trails, but I thought that if I could kill two birds with one stone.... Also, does $95 shipped to my front door sound about right for the TOPO map? Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

You can see the maps using the Mapsource viewer online at the Garmin website.

Generally Topo doesn't show most trails. Some older trails show, but most trail systems are in a constant state of flux, so many maps would be outdated within a few years.

Thanks for the Mapsource viewer tip. I had already tried that, the map was so small that I couldn't tell where I was, and I didn't see any trails. I agree with your thoughts about the trails being outdated in a few years, but I thought that it would give a general area where the trail might be.

On Garmins website, the description for the TOPO map says that it shows snowmobile trails. Could someone who owns this map look and see how well this map shows the snowmobile trails for upper Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan? I know that US TrailMaps has a map of snowmobile trails, but I thought that if I could kill two birds with one stone.... Also, does $95 shipped to my front door sound about right for the TOPO map? Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

US Topo does not show snowmobile trails specifically...it shows logging/forest roads/trails that snowmobile clubs may have used for marked/groomed trails in the winter.

I have made a map of some of the snowmobile trails in the UP that installs into Mapsource....you then pick the trail map for upload to your GPSr. The map is transparent so your basemap or Topo maps will show through. Install it and see if it is any use to you....can be removed from Mapsource by selecting the map in Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

UP Snowmobile Trails

Edited by rws

I have made a map of some of the snowmobile trails in the UP that installs into Mapsource....you then pick the trail map for upload to your GPSr. The map is transparent so your basemap or Topo maps will show through. Install it and see if it is any use to you....can be removed from Mapsource by selecting the map in Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

UP Snowmobile Trails

That is AWESOME !!! Thanks for the belated Xmas present !!!! :laughing::D:D:D

US Topo does not show snowmobile trails specifically...it shows logging/forest roads/trails that snowmobile clubs may have used for marked/groomed trails in the winter.

UP Snowmobile Trails

Thanks for the link to your program, it looks great. Do you have any plans to expand into Wisconsin? I noticed from your user agreement screen that portions of this map may have been from tracks that were sent to you. If you were sent tracks of Wisconsin would you then convert them to trails? Thanks again...

Chris

Thanks for the link to your program, it looks great. Do you have any plans to expand into Wisconsin? I noticed from your user agreement screen that portions of this map may have been from tracks that were sent to you. If you were sent tracks of Wisconsin would you then convert them to trails? Thanks again...

Chris

Yes making maps from tracks is fairly easy...here's a video tutorial I created on how to make your own maps.

Custom Map Tutorial