Quest for NJ Oldest Cache & 1k Milestone

TeamHopewell

I also want to do the Davidson Cache and others off to the north of the Gerbil Cache.
Trowel32

The Davidson Cache is also amongst the oldest in NJ--BrianSnat last maintained it, last find in March 06. I placed Microwave on High nearby at the around that time, only 2 trips and 3 finders. There is also the Den up that way. Only the ones with nerves of steel venture into that territory. ;)

So go for it, but before you go I suggest you watch a filming of Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2.

Edited by Packanack

Is that how you get to Davidson cache? Start from the Ramapo Valley Reservation parking area? How about "**back waY |n through whEre the m0unta|n people l|ve"?

--I'm sorry Teamhopewell, I didn't mean to go off track. I wish you luck on your gerbiL hunt. I just got my coupon this morning.

Edited by macatac1961

Okay, I am obviously out of the loop here :anitongue: I do think I remember hearing or reading something about that area before though. Just saw the road on the map that leads north from Ramapo Reservation. So if I go there alone, will I ever be heard from again?? :rolleyes::anitongue:

Scroll down to Floopy's log on that page...

"Well, guess what? The dirt road went right by the cache!"

Hey Team Hopewell,

We'd love to join you on this trek (we'll bring our camera to record the event). Thankfully we'll be in NJ that day. Jan may huff and puff a little if there's climbing to be done, but she'll get there eventually. This is a new area for us, so we look forward to the hiking and catching some caches along the way. See you soon.

I was also planning on making this my 1,000th cache.

I would like to join you, but I'm not sure the timing will be right .

I'm currently at 984.

I wonder if Trail Hound will be joining us Saturday?...I see he found a bunch today and is up to 996 :unsure:

I have been doing alot of thinking about it and decided to do the cache on my own...I would love to do the group hike but two factors have made me decide not to. First ; I would not want to take anything away from Team Hopewells moment of Glory...It is their hike and 1,000th find..I don't want to over shadow that

Secondly; It wouldn't feel right to have someone else find my 1,000th for me. I want to find it on my own!

I am thinking about doing it tomorrow. If I get the chance. Anyone know the most direct trail to the cache?

Please don't think I am trying to beat them to it. That is not the case. I am actually thinking about leaving them a little prize for their accomplishment, If I do in fact find it before the group hike.

Have fun on the hike, I'm sure it will be a great time....Who's bringing the Bottle????

Anyone have an estimate on how long this hike is likely to take? Ballpark? I'd love to come, but might have to split off around noon

Figure 2 hours. (BrianSnat estimate X Real People coefficient)= 2 hours.

I left my house in Wayne at 6:30 AM, left parking lot to start at 7AM, was back in Parking lot at 9AM and home at 9:30 AM. Finding one other cache on the way down. AVGraphics came via a different route leaving parking lot about 10 minutes after I did and arrived about 10 minutes after I did, so the route did not make much difference. We walked out together. Logging, pictures, changing out of your ninja costume all take a little time.

I should be at the reservation tomorrow, but probably arriving a bit later than the group hike. I'm too lazy to get up that early :lol: I think I managed to talk my boyfriend into venturing up into Davidson territory. So if we are never heard from again, send out a search party :lol:

So here is an anticipatory congrats to Team Hopewell on find #1000 :lol: and maybe we'll run into y'all somewhere on the mountain tomorrow.

You can get to Gerbil and back in under an hour if you don't dilly dally and hit other caches on the way.

If by "dilly dally and hit other caches" you mean "hike seven miles and visit 12 caches" then the actual time turns out to be more like seven hours (and seven miles).

1. Find BrianSnat's Ammo Can #3

2. Rocky Nook

3. Rainy Day Women (yes, it was raining when we got there)

4. Stony Mountain Cache

5. Boulder Stash

6. #10762: Ramapo Reservation cache

7. gerbiL cacHe (TeamHopewell's 100th)

8. Warm Furry Kittens

9. Rocky Mountain Rocks

10. Return to Rocky Mountain

11. Triple Tree

12. A River Runs To It

Wow that was a hard hike. Especially the bushwack from gerbiL to Kittens, then to the two Rock Mountain ones. Boy was I glad to get back on a trail!

Congrats to TeamHopewell on your 1000th. The champagne at the summit was great. Thanks to everyone else for making this such a fun trip (Jan and the Man, your champaign in the parking lot was great too, though by then I had lost most sensation in my body).

Ditto to all fosterbass said. Great day with great folks to cache and hike with. Team Divi Divi, Minegang, KPH Express, Straatmaker 5 and fosterbass -- and of course TeamHopewell. We even had a drop by visit from Trowel32 and Piont (they of course showed up just as the Champaign was being poured -- Great timing as always, guys). We really enjoyed the hike (at least most of it) and especially enjoyed meeting and getting to know some more cachers. What a great way to spend such a tropical day in January.

Again Congrats! TeamHopewell -- hope you enjoy the next 1,000. And thanks again for letting us share it with you.

Jan and Ron

You can get to Gerbil and back in under an hour if you don't dilly dally and hit other caches on the way.

If by "dilly dally and hit other caches" you mean "hike seven miles and visit 12 caches" then the actual time turns out to be more like seven hours (and seven miles).

2. Rocky Nook

4. Stony Mountain Cache

5. Boulder Stash

8. Warm Furry Kittens

9. Rocky Mountain Rocks

11. Triple Tree

12. A River Runs To It

Wow that was a hard hike. Especially the bushwack from gerbiL to Kittens, then to the two Rock Mountain ones. Boy was I glad to get back on a trail!

Congrats to TeamHopewell on your 1000th. The champagne at the summit was great. Thanks to everyone else for making this such a fun trip (Jan and the Man, your champaign in the parking lot was great too, though by then I had lost most sensation in my body).

I'm diving up from Phialdelphia to attempt this loop on staturday I found a track log that had been posted for this loop. everything looks like its close to the trail. Can someone confirm about having to bushwhack to Furry Kittens and both Rocky Mountain Caches. Thanks

2. Rocky Nook

4. Stony Mountain Cache

5. Boulder Stash

8. Warm Furry Kittens

9. Rocky Mountain Rocks

11. Triple Tree

12. A River Runs To It

I'm diving up from Phialdelphia to attempt this loop on staturday I found a track log that had been posted for this loop. everything looks like its close to the trail. Can someone confirm about having to bushwhack to Furry Kittens and both Rocky Mountain Caches. Thanks

There is a trail that skirts around Rocky Mt. There are no trails that will get you close to those caches without some serious elevation change. Depending on which way you are aproaching these caches you will have to choose the route you will bushwhack to those caches by. You can choose poorly here if you don't look at a topo map prior to attempting these caches. Even with topo maps you will find unexpected obstacles along the way.

Ex Nilhilo Nihil Fit

by Team Ekitt10 [profile]

User's Web Page

N 40° 29.000 W 074° 25.000

UTM: 18T E 549440 N 4481568

SWSW 26.2mi from your home coordinates or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

Click icon to download:

Read about waypoint downloads

In New Jersey, United States [view map]

Hidden: 6/22/2004

Use waypoint: GCJRCB

This shows up as 6/22/2004 :D

magellan, To help with your research.

If you ask BrianSnat nicely, he might consider posting a copy of the Ramapo Reservation map that he made, it is a National Geographic Topo and shows the relative position of the caches. I think they may have used it at G.O.N.E. events , it is very good for someone not familiar with the area. New York New Jersey Trail Conference Maps #22 are also very good. Also Rod Johnson Cartography at www.map-maker.net

Edited by Packanack
Ex Nilhilo Nihil Fit

by Team Ekitt10 [profile]

User's Web Page

N 40° 29.000 W 074° 25.000

UTM: 18T E 549440 N 4481568

SWSW 26.2mi from your home coordinates or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

Click icon to download:

Read about waypoint downloads

In New Jersey, United States [view map]

Hidden: 6/22/2004

Use waypoint: GCJRCB

This shows up as 6/22/2004 :laughing:

Now it does, but the other day it said 2000. It seemed to magically change back after I posted that.