Mines Arrived!

:ph34r:

Got home to find one on the doormat, someone was busy doing post on 20th December as that is also when mine was sent.

"Azuqueca de Henares, Spain" is the destination so I'll be putting it in 1 of my North Yorkshire caches very soon. And there don't seem to be that many caches near its destination, nearest is 4 miles, then 7, 9 ,11 and upwards.

Not quite like round Harrogate, with well over 60 within 5 miles of my front door ....

If you add a laminated tag, with its mission statement, what language do you write it in? English (or appropriate to place of release if different), or the language of its destination? I can see Babelfish getting quite a hammering! :ph34r::ph34r:

My laminated tag will be in English on one side and Spanish (destination language) on the other.

If you add a laminated tag, with its mission statement, what language do you write it in? English (or appropriate to place of release if different), or the language of its destination? I can see Babelfish getting quite a hammering! :ph34r::ph34r:

My laminated tag will be in English on one side and Spanish (destination language) on the other.

Here's what we've done:

tbu4dcb6.jpg

And it stills fit on the original bag.

:huh: Yeay! Mine arrived this morning too via our nice but confused posty. Its heading to Hermosa in the Philippines. At least it will be warm there :ph34r:

I see the photo contest page has not been set up yet - when can we start entering that? :ph34r:

How can we enter the contest with our bugs if they are off travelling all over the world?

The idea of the campaign is to release them, tyet the idea of the competition is to have photos taken with them....

heads or tails?

Mine arrived today and wants to go to Padua. I will take it to Italy in March and drop it in a cache there.

Yep found it and copied it ............here it is!!

By completing the information request below, I hereby agree to place a Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug into a geocache within 2 weeks of its receipt by me. I understand that by submitting this form, I am not guaranteed to receive a Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug.

Mandy :ph34r:

Oops! Didn't spot that! I will obviously comply. I just wanted to give it a fighting chance of getting to its target area.

Wonder what proportion of the total the UK was allocated in the end?

Cheers

Dave

:ph34r: Stumbled across this topic today and decided to give you a benchmark. In a 50 mile radius from my home coordinates there are 2322 caches and a total of 18 diabetes TB's. My house is roughly 60 miles east of Manhattan on Long Island so the 50 mile radius includes parts of southern Connecticut which is roughly 20 miles away across Long Island Sound. Nine TB's were on Long Island the other 9 were in CT. I have no idea how many geocachers there are in the 50 mile radius.

Edited by Waterspyder

:ph34r: Yeay! Mine arrived this morning too via our nice but confused posty. Its heading to Hermosa in the Philippines. At least it will be warm there :ph34r:

I see the photo contest page has not been set up yet - when can we start entering that? :huh:

How can we enter the contest with our bugs if they are off travelling all over the world?

The idea of the campaign is to release them, tyet the idea of the competition is to have photos taken with them....

heads or tails?

That is a very good question.

Hiya Terry

Mine came in a light grey coloured plastic envelope (bubble stuff inside) the envelope had a large white sticker covering the front, it says on the label from Groundspeak and that it is a travel bug inside, the postage cost and price of what the tag is worth ect.

I think you will clearly know which one is the Diabetes TB

Mandy :ph34r:

Hiya Terry

Mine came in a light grey coloured plastic envelope (bubble stuff inside) the envelope had a large white sticker covering the front, it says on the label from Groundspeak and that it is a travel bug inside, the postage cost and price of what the tag is worth ect.

I think you will clearly know which one is the Diabetes TB

Mandy :)

Thanks for the info Mandy. I'll check with Mrs NB later today.

BTW what are you doing up this early in the morning?

At least I've got an excuse as I'm... er... working :D

My TB has arrived this morning! It wants to go to Toyoura in Japan. Of which there are two, or rather there were two. One Toyura was absorbed into a nearby city (along with some other towns). Wikipedia has more. Or it could be another Toyura, up in the north of Japan on the island of Hokkaido which has 3 caches on the entire island!

See Geocaching has done it again, already I am much enriched. I knew nothing about Toyoura until about 10 minutes ago!

Yep found it and copied it ............here it is!!

By completing the information request below, I hereby agree to place a Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug into a geocache within 2 weeks of its receipt by me. I understand that by submitting this form, I am not guaranteed to receive a Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug.

Mandy :D

Mine will be dropped into caches I do along the way mandy.

My TB has arrived this morning! It wants to go to Toyoura in Japan. Of which there are two, or rather there were two. One Toyura was absorbed into a nearby city (along with some other towns). Wikipedia has more. Or it could be another Toyura, up in the north of Japan on the island of Hokkaido which has 3 caches on the entire island!

I've been looking out for the one that wants to travel to Newport (Isle of Wight) as my wife comes from near there and it's not the only Newport.

The best thing to do is to click on the "find nearest caches" link and that will take to to the rough area. Even if there are no close caches, it will tell you the distance and bearing from your destination city (and it also gives you the co-ords of your city at the top of the page).

It seems to me that arriving at the destination city is secondary here. The main object is surely raising awareness on the bugs' travels.

I've seen in the TB forum that people have suggested mailing the TB to a person who lives close to the destination. To me, that's missing the point a little.

Treat the TB like a standard TB and move it on within two weeks. If it goes round the world twice before reaching it's city then that's even better!

Going EAST? Take this Diabetes TB TB1AT99 and get an FTF as well

Annoyingly this particular one is travelling into Pakistan but the nearest cache is 250 miles away in Jodhpur where the cache established on 3rd December has yet to be found.

Indeed many of the caches in Afghanistan are closer! The nearest cache in Pakistan has been suspended so the next nearest is near Islamabad about 400 miles away from its intended final destination.

ALL HELP FOR THIS PARTICULAR TB GENEROUSLY ACCEPTED

The Wikpedia entry for Sadiqabad

(edited for Wikpedia entry)

Edited by kewfriend

Received mine today, (can't say this morning cos my post doesn't arrive until halfway through the afternoon :D )

It's destination is Willowick US of A. It appears to be in Ohio, which has enough caches for the bug to find one :) . Strange really that the bug I received has an Ohio destination cos one of my bugs is out there somewhere.

Oh well, just going to make a destination tag, and decide where to release it.

By the way, can we apply for another (if there are TBs left?).

Ayepee

Got one! It's mission is to get to Lom Sak in Thailand. I very nearly made up a card to go with it, then realised it actually belongs to Unite for Diabetes rather than us, so sending it out as received. :)

Thats what I thought too Liane, it does not belong to me so leave it how it is, and get it into a cache. :D

But each to their own :)

But (to open a can of worms) would all you who are adding tags like someone to add something to one of your travel bugs? I am sure I wouldn't :D it would make me feel as if I had made a mistake or been inadequate before I set my bug off on it's travels.

The way I look at it is that the bug is not mine it belongs to Unite for Diabetes, and I am just helping it on it's way. Again just my opinion, lets not start an argument about it please.

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Got one! It's mission is to get to Lom Sak in Thailand. I very nearly made up a card to go with it, then realised it actually belongs to Unite for Diabetes rather than us, so sending it out as received. :)

Thats what I thought too Liane, it does not belong to me so leave it how it is, and get it into a cache. :D

But (to open a can of worms) would all you who are adding tags like someone to add something to one of your travel bugs? I am sure I wouldn't :D it would make me feel as if I had made a mistake or been inadequate before I set my bug off on it's travels.

The way I look at it is that the bug is not mine it belongs to Unite for Diabetes, and I am just helping it on it's way. Again just my opinion, lets not start an argument about it please.

But in this case, Unite for Diabetes is not a single person, but a sock puppet account for Groundspeak and the UN campaign. Really, all geocachers own these TBs.

Yes, I see the point if someone attaches a tag to another cacher's TBs, but in that case it IS the owner's property.

Here, due to the sheer scale of the TB release, it would make it impractical for Groundspeak to tag each TB with the destination, so it's left to us, if we want to.

Got one! It's mission is to get to Lom Sak in Thailand. I very nearly made up a card to go with it, then realised it actually belongs to Unite for Diabetes rather than us, so sending it out as received. :D

But (to open a can of worms) would all you who are adding tags like someone to add something to one of your travel bugs? I am sure I wouldn't :) it would make me feel as if I had made a mistake or been inadequate before I set my bug off on it's travels.

I don't see how they can achieve their mission if no one knows what the mission is! I think that by adding a tag we are helping Unite for Diabetes by letting people know about the cause. They will then look it up on the net and be more informed. Whole point of the exercise.

Plus, around here people tend to take TBs out of local caches and stick them up mountains where only the fit and energetic can get to. They get left there for months on end sometimes. Thats hardly spreading the word.

Just my two pennorth :D

Each to their own. :D

That is a very good question.

As its only one entry per cacher per quarter (I think) what I will do is take a photo of the one I have and any others I might find in the future around the theme, pick the best one and post it before the closing date of each contest. The TB's in the meantime can carry on travelling towards their goal. I'll just take a note of its tag number ready for final posting. Currently I cant see any other way of doing it till the owners put up the photo page on their site :D

I was wondering however - its become increasingly clear that some of the destinations are going to be virtually non-existent caching wise - what do the current holders do in that situation? And when it arrives at its destination, do we take photos and send it on its way once more? :)

Seems to me that unless they have a bit of paper or tag with them, nobody will have any idea whether or not they can help them. They'll not even know if they are on their major route to the destination or actually circulating after having reached it.

I intend adding a tag. I might keep it quite small though as it will just about fit in a micro at the moment.

One or two of my Tbs in the wild have had tags added, been put in replacement bags or have had their mission sheet reprinted by very kindly cachers en route so to speak. I can#t think of a nicer thing to do than take care of someones TB and help it reach its goal. <_<

Seems to me that unless they have a bit of paper or tag with them, nobody will have any idea whether or not they can help them. They'll not even know if they are on their major route to the destination or actually circulating after having reached it.

I intend adding a tag. I might keep it quite small though as it will just about fit in a micro at the moment.

One or two of my Tbs in the wild have had tags added, been put in replacement bags or have had their mission sheet reprinted by very kindly cachers en route so to speak. I can#t think of a nicer thing to do than take care of someones TB and help it reach its goal. <_<

I don't know, what happens when it reaches its goal? Personally I think this journey is more important than the destination. The more people who touch it the better, I say.

Put the goal on there, but once it reaches it I think it should be taken away to do it again.

I also think we should have been able to purchase this bug* (a source of donations) and set goals to either compete for raising funds or educate. But last time I checked gc.com didn’t leave a message asking my opinion. :D

*and cacher ownership may cut down on the collecting of gc.com released bugs.