We’re getting a Geodog!

Lee-2

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! We've got a geocaching dog, Abby the Wonder Pup. She's got her own account and while she doesn't log many finds herself, she's been geocaching with us since she was two months old. We're also getting a black lab puppy this coming April (I need a good hunting dog) and he'll be caching a lot with us too.

Trust me, you won't regret your decision to take your new family member caching with you. Like mentioned above, just take along the basics...food, leash, water, baggies (for cleaning up after the dog does his business on the trail), etc.

Oh, and don't forget your camera! You'll want to take LOTS of pictures of your Geo-Dog!!!!!! :laughing:

AbbyandtheCardinalTrailcache.jpg

AbbyandMyrnasCache.jpg

AbbyonHangingRock.jpg

TEAM RETRIEVER your dog is absolutly stunning. I wish she could hop out of the screen so I could give her a big snuggle. Those eyes, they melt my heart!

Thanks! Well, when she ran behind the couch and knocked a lamp over this morning, I wish she could have hopped from my house to your's too!

:laughing:

She's a great dog, so I can't complain. Very loveable and I would suggest a daschund to anyone wanting a small, well mannered, intelligent and non-shedding (compared to other breeds) dog.

We have a rat terrior that we take almost everywhere with us. He loves to go. When I go out with mr. ring I feel a lot more comfortable with a dog along for company. (I'm considering carrying pepper spray also but that's another subject.) Buddy and I like to do the longer walks so I use the back track feature on my GPSr but most of the time I don't have to worry about even looking at it since Buddy usually takes us back to the car with no problem.

We take one of those walk/bowl contraptions that we bought at Petco. I like the kind that hangs from my belt. I also take treats and dog food is in the jeep for when we need it. Usually my dog won't eat till we get back home but he will take treats.

We started taking the dog with us for fun but out vet says it is doing wonders for his weight problem. He loves to go for walks and caching is adding to our walking time.

Take the dog for protection and companionship.

We take our shetland sheepdog with us. He loves the car ride. My wife takes the dog and acts as look out and muggle diverter, while I engage in the final stages of the hunt. If you all would agree to a single smell to put on all caches and then make it available,,,,we could all teach our dogs to sniff these things out.....but then someone would come up with the oderless cache and we would be right back where we started, going around in circles like we usually do. :P

I will second the booties idea if you are caching on rocks. My dachshund used to cache with me a lot until he got arthritis. I didn't think about booties until he got some small lacerations on his feet one time. After he got used to the booties, he never had a problem again.

I agree, but I can't keep booties on my chocolate lab mix, that I rescued as a puppy from a shelter.

I always have her wear her chest protector, however. It is flash orange, as you can see in the pic.

It identifies her in case other people are around, plus it is ballistic nylon, keep the sticks and barbed wire

from scratching her belly. Dogs bellies are very soft and tender. If you had a smaller dog, it has a handle

to pick them up. But, Nissa the wonder dog weighs in around 80 pounds, now.

Nissaandme.jpg

Don't forget folks, if you wish a certain breed, run a google search naming that breed and rescue, ie:"lab rescue". In most locations, there is a group that will be trying to adopt out dogs of a particular breed that need a home for whatever reason, owner transferred, allergies, found wandering.

As for pooch on the trail..........

extra canteen, one for you, one for the dog. (Your hand makes a good cup)

snacks

leash (stays on leash, to prevent chasing skunks or others)

extra lead/leash. (use to tie to tree for a few minutes if needed, circle tree and attach to the one on the dog)

be sure all shots are current (especially rabies and distemper)

carrier for riding (in case of accident, dogs can be severly injured if not restrained/protected, or look for a seatbelt harness if the pooch rides on the seat)

definitely get those booties if you cache in rocky areas or on hot sand

brush or comb

tweezers and merthiolate (in case of glass, thorns or cactus) or check vet supply, feed store for antiseptic ointment made for animals

pull toy or ball (reward/play time)

add or subtract depending on the outing length or location.

Don't forget folks, if you wish a certain breed, run a google search naming that breed and rescue, ie:"lab rescue". In most locations, there is a group that will be trying to adopt out dogs of a particular breed that need a home for whatever reason, owner transferred, allergies, found wandering.

As for pooch on the trail..........

extra canteen, one for you, one for the dog. (Your hand makes a good cup)

snacks

leash (stays on leash, to prevent chasing skunks or others)

extra lead/leash. (use to tie to tree for a few minutes if needed, circle tree and attach to the one on the dog)

be sure all shots are current (especially rabies and distemper)

carrier for riding (in case of accident, dogs can be severly injured if not restrained/protected, or look for a seatbelt harness if the pooch rides on the seat)

definitely get those booties if you cache in rocky areas or on hot sand

brush or comb

tweezers and merthiolate (in case of glass, thorns or cactus) or check vet supply, feed store for antiseptic ointment made for animals

pull toy or ball (reward/play time)

add or subtract depending on the outing length or location.

We got our second geodog a few weeks ago. His name is Dante and is the black one in the photo. Geoffrey is our first geodog (second in the pic, German Shorthair) and he's found several caches when we could not.

Dante is a pound puppy who's growing at an alarming rate. We were told he was a black lab/shorthair mix but the vet seems to think there might be some Newfoundland in there somewhere.

Note the reflective orange collars for safety!

801f226a-54b4-4b1e-b447-25152c572614.jpg

Congratulations on the new family member!

I love seeing all the dog pictures. There's nothing like a dog!

We take Moxie with us on 98% of our cache excursions. The only time we leave her behind are on caches with a "no dogs allowed" icon (we plan those trips for times when we're out without her at other places dogs aren't allowed), and the occasional late night FTF attempt.

The retractable leads work out very nicely. Moxie gets a good workout zig zagging on the trail, investigating all the scents. When she was younger, we taught her to untangle herself from trees, sticks etc. We would give the command to "come by" and gently guide her to follow her leash back around whatever object she was wrapped around, praising her highly as she went. We don't need to have her sit and stay while we search. She just sniffs around as we give her prompts such as "this way" and "come by".

Caching is great for dogs. They get nice long walks that not only exercise their bodies, but their minds as well. All too often, dogs are taken on the same routine walks everyday. Caching dogs have the advantage of being taken to new places all the time. :D

Much good advice has been given in regards to supplies. The only things I can think to add are -

A Tick removal tool- usually a scoop with a notch in it. This device helps to remove a tick correctly, without it puking it's gut contents back into you or your dog, and thus spreading disease.

Paw wax- If you're in an urban area with a lot of salt on the pavement, this will protect the dog's pads.

A coat in the winter, for those with short haired dogs. We usually put Moxie's on when it's below 20-22F.

I think someone already mentioned this, but a lyme vaccination is a good idea too. As are products such as Frontline, or Advantage, to repel fleas and ticks. (These won't keep your dog from being bitten by ticks, but kills the tick before it vomits back into the bloodstream as it releases, and drops off to make new ticks.)

A towel is always good for wiping off paws, and drying off after those dips in the water.

Yeah, yeah... these have already been said, but lots of water, treats, and extra kibble. You never know if you'll be out caching past your dog's normal feeding time.

Moxie on top of the world at Jockey Cap

39556372-ca75-4ace-a131-09fd444f8f24.jpg

With the wind in her ears

acf30fcd-240e-4b6c-9187-3d04e9d6e4a4.jpg

I've always taken the dogs hiking and now caching. They love the exercise and all the smells along the trail. I've had to stop taking the older dog but he always enjoyed it while he could go and still wants to go although it's too much for him physically.

What to take? I think it's been covered but here are a few thing. Depends somewhat on where you're going and for how long:

leash

water

bowl for water (collapsible bowl works well)

treats

shoes (for the dog)

flea/tick treatment

towel (to dry him off after a dip in the water, wipe off mud, etc.)

backpack - if the dog is big enough, he can carry his own water

bandana - people seem less afraid when they meet a dog with a bandana, don't ask me why

first aid supplies - for you and your cache hound (clean up cuts, pull out thorns, bandage, etc.)

27b37856-4dfc-4023-b3bb-c927bd971443.jpg

Edited by jackrock

I love all the beautiful pictures.

I can’t wait to take Duke out geocaching.

Duke is being treated for Heartworms.

The Humane Society offered to take him back.

But we couldn’t do that. So we’re having him treated.

Our vet said we could take him out on walks and hikes in 3 more weeks.

By the end of February we hope to start geocaching with Duke.

I’m working on making bandanas, and getting his gear together.

Thanks for all the help and posting the pictures.

Eagle-2

Love the ideas. Thanks

One other thing is you can teach your dog to drink from a water bottle or any flowing water source (hose, etc). It is good in a pinch if you forgot to bring a bowl. I taught mine to do it by using a bottle to fill up their water dish at home and let them drink as you are pouring it. Now all of my dogs will drink from a hose or bottle if we are out and need to.

Letting them drink from hands is ok but you give off salt especially if you are sweating in hot weather which can cause problems.

I also plan on getting a front backpack for our smaller dog (Brussels Griffon) for those longer hikes she might not be able to do. It leaves your hands free to watch the GPS.

Our other dogs are German Shepherds and love to go hiking already, so far we haven't been able to take them but can't wait for them to join in on caching.