We’re getting a Geodog!

Lee-2

Oh, and I forgot to mention Hemi(ingway) is a yellow lab and the girlfriend's pup is half lab and half ????. We adopted her dog two years ago this March, and he has been an incredibly great dog. I HIGHLY recommend the breed/mix. If possible, try to take a look at the pup's mother. It'll give you a great hint as to what kind of dog you're going to get

Having a dog along is great as long as he/she is well prepared and at least somewhat well-trained. He will need to respond well to a command to sit/stay while you are digging around in bushes and such or you will have a lot of fuzzy help. Plus that whole staying on the trail, leave deer, snakes, rabbits and such alone thing is most helpful or your dog may be harder to find than the cache.

Before you go, be sure shots are current and he is recently treated for ticks (whatever works in your region, ask your vet) Be sure to check him when you get home for ticks and such.

Also a good idea to get him used to some of those booties that are used for hiking/hunting dogs - quite handy if you are scrambling over a lot of rocks. If you get them on the dog at home and let him get used to them, it's good (not for entertainment purposes. Do not use on a linoleum floor or you will get a doggie rodeo)

There was a thread a few weeks back about a cacher that had a bloodhound that was great at finding caches - not for the cache but for the human scents. Pretty cool idea! I doubt if my Border Collies would ever work for that. But if you want a live cow brought to you, they are pretty handy. :laughing:

I'm still a noob but I have taken my dog out with me when caching. I like having him with me and he has a great time but...he actually complicates matters. He has different ideas on what direction to go in and if I'm in the woods then its untangling his leash from sticks, trees and bushes and retrieving him from briar snags and picking "beggar lice" out of his coat. I will probably continue to take him with me whenever feasible because HE enjoys being out and about so much and of course I love his company. But it would probably be a little easier on me if I left him at home.

I hope you enjoy your new dog! Perhaps training a dog to be a geodog from puppyhood would be easier. :laughing:

Our children are adopting a dog for my Hubby.

So I think we should make him a Geodog.

Besides water and food what do we need to pack for him?

Does dog do well Geocaching with you?

They’re looking at a Lab mix pup.

Congrats on the new pup. Mine passed a few months ago and I'd like to get a GSD pup next year.

It was always an adventure bringing the pup geocaching. This is mostly due to the fact that she always wanted to run after anything that moved, rather than searching for the stationary ammo can.

The only thing I packed extra when I brought the pup was a good strong lead, plenty of water (much more than you think that you'll need), a folding bowl, and some treats.

My dog has her own caching account:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=99...eb-4138c853a742

If she even sees me touching my GPS, she gets excited. She really enjoys just being in the woods, off the leash (where permitted).

Every now and then she'll sniff one out before I find it - I think she's following the scent of humans or other dogs or something. I've heard that you can train a dog to sniff out caches, but, really, that would take some of the fun out of it, having it shown to you with no looking on your part.

Good for you! I have two dogs that go caching with me, both are labs. Your dog will love it. We have a few of those collapsable bowls that we take along. Also, bring baggies so you can trash out any poop. I agree with the previous sentiments about leashing unless the area is a known off leash area and if your unsure don't take them off. Even being a dog owner, I find it very annoying to be approached by a dog that is not under the control of the owner.

Edited by D@nim@l

Speaking of Geodogs and poop... no seriously. I take my mini-dachsund with us on every cache trip. I've found that if there are muggles around we can use imaginary "pooper-scooper" duty as a distraction for what we are really up to. :laughing:

Besides the obvious, we take some dog treats, a bottle of water and a small bowl. I also keep a towel in our backpack for accidental slips in water and hand wipes. The kids and I take turns holding the dog and he really seems to get in on the routine.

Good luck with the K-9s. I think that if the dog is man's best friend, he should be included on man's (or woman's) favorite activity. :D

Geodogs are great. Mine love to romp around the desert chasing lizards and rabbits. My Jack Russell is fast enough that she will likely catch one someday. (I have clocked her at 35 mph) I don't know what she will do with it when she does.

When I lived in Florida, Darby would try to catch every tiny lizard she saw. Most of the time, she was unsuccessful as her nose was larger that the lizard keeping her from getting it on the first bite. The few times she did get one, she was dissatisfied. Apparently, they taste quite bad.

Geodogs are great. Mine love to romp around the desert chasing lizards and rabbits. My Jack Russell is fast enough that she will likely catch one someday. (I have clocked her at 35 mph) I don't know what she will do with it when she does.

When I lived in Florida, Darby would try to catch every tiny lizard she saw. Most of the time, she was unsuccessful as her nose was larger that the lizard keeping her from getting it on the first bite. The few times she did get one, she was dissatisfied. Apparently, they taste quite bad.

Some do need to be cooked first. :laughing:

Some do need to be cooked first. :laughing:

Unfortunately, Darby had no thumbs.

My wife and I take our caching K9's out when ever we can with us. I'd suggest getting a backpack for your dog, especially if's a large breed. Not only can they carry their water and treats, but also gives them a sense of purpose which they enjoy.

Now I like that. Have the mutt carry its own treats and water and if it is large enough maybe even an extra bottle or 2 of water for their human partner.

Edited by Recdiver

Make her food dish an ammo can and her water dish a Tupperware container.

Have her find cache-like containers around the yard and give her treats if she finds one.

The first time she finds a REAL cache, praise her like crazy and give her extra treats.

THEN you get to have a geodog, rather than just a regular dog. :)

Sirrooker,

What a beautiful picture of your dog! Can you tell me the name of his/her breed? We just recently were adopted by a stray dog that could be a twin of yours. I just assumed she was a mixed breed, but seeing another almost identical makes me think they are a specific breed. She is the most wonderful dog I have ever had.

I will second the booties idea if you are caching on rocks. My dachshund used to cache with me a lot until he got arthritis. I didn't think about booties until he got some small lacerations on his feet one time. After he got used to the booties, he never had a problem again.

Winston has become a pillow potatoe in his old age. While I'm out caching, he stays at home with mom on his electrically heated pillow and watches TV. I swear he laughed out loud at me the other day when I came back from caching in the snow. :)

Edited by GPSOkie

use a leash.

will second the leash concept for the dog's sake.. and okay, not to mention people who don't like dogs or are afraid of them as that isn't being very thoughtful.. but me I think of the dog first, sorry..

national parks - it's illegal at the Big Bend at least for them to be on the trails, let alone off lead

state parks here.. lead is required.

dogs can find rabbits and you think it's funny maybe but what about snakes, skunks, or if they chase a deer (illegal, again) then what?

so I'm asking, seriously.. is there Anywhere not your own property that you can let a dog run loose and be legally correct? I know people DO it, but is it the thing to do? Around here I can't think of any open land where it would be legal. I can think of places where it would get a dog shot. Or the owner fined.

So when I read about people running into loose dogs I think Where? Places with irresponsible owners is all I can think of! Like some country folk who leave them loose and they run off or maybe city people who have a dog get loose. But people taking a dog for a walk and letting it run loose? I don't see that sort of thing.

Myra with two dogs - always on lead except on a friends property where yes we've met a skunk or two. :) and yeah sometimes Su wishes we could find a place she could run free a while!

Edited by laughingcat

use a leash.

will second the leash concept for the dog's sake.. and okay, not to mention people who don't like dogs or are afraid of them as that isn't being very thoughtful.. but me I think of the dog first, sorry..

national parks - it's illegal at the Big Bend at least for them to be on the trails, let alone off lead

dogs can find rabbits and you think it's funny maybe but what about snakes, skunks, or if they chase a deer (illegal, again) then what?

so I'm asking, seriously.. is there Anywhere not your own property that you can let a dog run loose and be legally correct? I know people DO it, but is it the thing to do? Around here I can't think of any open land where it would be legal. I can think of places where it would get a dog shot. Or the owner fined.

So when I read about people running into loose dogs I think Where? Places with irresponsible owners is all I can think of! Like some country folk who leave them loose and they run off or maybe city people who have a dog get loose. But people taking a dog for a walk and letting it run loose? I don't see that sort of thing.

Myra with two dogs - always on lead except on a friends property where yes we've met a skunk or two. :) and yeah sometimes Su wishes we could find a place she could run free a while!

We found a combination water bottle/drinking bowl at www.sahalie.com. It is a Gulpy that attaches to your belt or pack. After a few tries, Ella (our yellow lab geodog) does very well. Not a lot of water, but good for medium hikes.

I agree. A leash, sit/stay, water, treats, are all necessities. With those, everyone has a great time being outside.

Edited by dad2jnk

What great suggestion! Thanks everyone.

I’m making a list of things for the pup.

We have to get a doggie backpack. And the food dish ammo can and water dish Tupperware container what a great idea.

We pick up a lot of things today. I can’t wait to get our pup.

I'll post pictures when we get him.

Eagle-2

Sirrooker,

What a beautiful picture of your dog! Can you tell me the name of his/her breed? We just recently were adopted by a stray dog that could be a twin of yours. I just assumed she was a mixed breed, but seeing another almost identical makes me think they are a specific breed. She is the most wonderful dog I have ever had.

I wish I could tell you the breed, we rescued him from the local shelter as a stray. The vets say collie, shepperd, and maybe rotti or doberman. Apparently this mix breed likes to wander if your's was a stray also.

[

Our town is reclaiming an old gravel pit into a park and have fenced in about 2 acres for people to take their dogs and let them run free. Outside of that place, I always have them on a leash.

In a recent thread, it was discovered that it all depends on how your local ordinances are written. Some rural areas have no regulation and dogs can roam somewhat freely. Other locals require that dogs remain on-leash when not in a fenced yard (or dog park). Still others stipulate that they must be on-leash or under control. 'Under control' is left somewhat undefined in many cases, allowing for some owners of well trained dogs to go leadless.

use a leash.

Sounds like you are in a totaly different situation than I am.

After a long talk with my vet, we decided it wasn't a bad idea to get a Rattlesnake Vaccination. I have seen 5 rattlers in the past year and a half, so the risk was high enough to warrant it. One was in hibernation and I walk past it 6 or 7 times without noticing.

Off leash is legal in most areas, and where it isn't, it is as much enforced as driving 66 in a 65 zone.

Geocaching is fun, but I hate a lot dirt roads.

Meet Duke. A lab dog we adopted this morning. He’s 2yrs old. He knows the basic commands. And he seems great with children. We were told that because of bad heath the original owner had to get rid of him. We pick him up Sunday. While we were looking at him he got to close to a Pit Bull pups cage and now Duke is at the vets getting a stitch or two.

TN205_7443719-3-x.jpg

TN205_7443719-2-x.jpg

TN205_7443719-1-x.jpg

[

Sounds like you are in a totaly different situation than I am.

After a long talk with my vet, we decided it wasn't a bad idea to get a Rattlesnake Vaccination. I have seen 5 rattlers in the past year and a half, so the risk was high enough to warrant it. One was in hibernation and I walk past it 6 or 7 times without noticing.

Off leash is legal in most areas, and where it isn't, it is as much enforced as driving 66 in a 65 zone.

Geocaching is fun, but I hate a lot dirt roads.

I've wondered about the rattlesnake vaccination.. how does that work! oh well..

but yeah we are in the middle of farm/ranch country. not good idea to let a dog go. there was a letter to the editor today from someone - their rat terrier was shot. it was allowed to run loose. I know mine would be shot in a heartbeat in the country as she looks so wolfish.

we would love open country where a dog could run a bit.. but it isn't going to happen here!

in truth, mine are not so thrilled about the concept of geocaching because around here, that usually means cactus. they don't care for traipses through cactus patches. :ph34r:

I take my hound with me a lot. Since he is a beagle, he is on lead all the time, mainly because I don't want to chase him into the next county! What I do with him is I use one of those retractable leads, and just clip it with a carabiner to the belt of my fanny pack. That way, he can wander around (25') without me hanging onto a lead. When we start to do serious bushwacking, I lock the line so he doesn't get tangled up.

Duke is a beauty. Enjoy him! Miko comes out hiking and now caching with us. She seems to have a better sense of direction than me too - her instincts always got us where we needed to be before the GPS!

Thanks,

We want Duke to go hiking and caching with us.

Duke is a beauty. Enjoy him! Miko comes out hiking and now caching with us. She seems to have a better sense of direction than me too - her instincts always got us where we needed to be before the GPS!

Thanks,

We want Duke to go hiking and caching with us.

Yes, by the looks of that dog, I'm sure Duke will make a perfect geodog.

My Mini loves going geocaching along with our Amer.Toy Fox Terrier. The dogs are great distractions! Like mentioned earlier sit/stay is a great command to have your dog know. Most especially when we humans are all doing the "I found the cache - happy dance" as it tends to get the dogs so excited..since we are! Nothing like trying to sign a logbook with your dogs jumping all over you, getting their leads tangled up with you and muddy paw prints all over your back and the logbook in quesiton.

Congratulations on the new Pup! He is going to have a great time and dog is a great way to add to the experience. Our Golden Retriever loves going caching and has turned into quite the tracker. The idea of using the ammo can and tupperware container are great ones for training the dog to help find caches.

We got him a Geocaching Bandana, but I noticed the one for Duke is customized. Great idea! Where did you get it?

Godd luck with the hunting!

G&C&Tracer the GeoRetriever