Trading WAY Up

griffinox

I went through my CD/VHS/DVD collection awhile ago and ended up with a bunch of things I was going to sell off. Then I realized I have almost 20 empty cache containers, and nothing to put in them. So I basically plan to put out caches with much much better start contents than usual. Not only that, I'm keeping some in my bag to trade out crap for , say, a cd. Do you think local cachers might be upset that I'm trying to raise the standards a bit?

I think it's a great idea to "recycle" things that you no longer have a use for as swag for existing caches or initial swag in newly placed caches! I want to echo the sentiment about not being disappointed if your goodies get replaced by junk.

Your post gave me a chuckle as we've recently had a number of incidents where I've tried to place items in caches that my wife hadn't expected. For example, an unused item or two that were birthday gifts from said spouse! LOL!

Yeah, since I've started caching, I look at EVERYTHING as potential swag! My kids have become MUCH neater around the house. They fear anything left unattended finding its way into Daddy's Swag Bag !

:P

Trade the best swag you're willing to part with and don't fret what others do!

My caching budget swings wildly from wannabe-rich-man to begger, depending on what's going on in my life at the moment. Sometime I put $35 fishing reels, multiple geocoins and the like, sometimes I put in a toy airplane my kids no longer play with!

Sometimes I take better than I leave - I still use a USB Card Reader I got from a Louissianna cache that I traded a Where's George dollar for over two years ago.

But on balance I leave the best I can and that usualy means that I trade up, sometimes way up; I have left two old GPS, two digital cameras, three odl PDAs and the like when I upgrade to new ones and unless there's something really special I don't take anything any more.

When I am feeling flush the caches I place cost $80 to $100 to put out, the last one, put out Christmas Eve when all my money was spent, cost me nothing but some stuff I already had lying around.

Few cachers cache for the loot anyway - place a good hide and there really doesn't need to be anything in it!

Ed

I went through my CD/VHS/DVD collection awhile ago and ended up with a bunch of things I was going to sell off. Then I realized I have almost 20 empty cache containers, and nothing to put in them. So I basically plan to put out caches with much much better start contents than usual. Not only that, I'm keeping some in my bag to trade out crap for , say, a cd. Do you think local cachers might be upset that I'm trying to raise the standards a bit?

I personally like your idea, I hunted one yesterday that the owner was trying to raise the bar on the contents being place in that particular cache. I have to tell you there was some really nice items in this cache.

Trade even, trade up or don't trade at all.

If you are worried that others would be upset that you are raising the standards, don't tell them it was you.

:P

I never worry whether I'm trading up or down. If there's nothing that strikes my fancy, I still leave an item or two. If the cache is looking sparce, I'll leave whatever I have in my bag. Everyone I talk to has this same attitude, so it may be a non-issue. The HUNT is what it's all about.

Why not take an NC vacation and come do some swag trading around here? :) I haven't seen anything I care to own or even take in a cache in a very very long time. I go out for the adventure and journey and smiley, not the swag. Of course, I also tend to go out and buy whatever it is I want for myself too; good thing I have simple tastes and needs. :P

I always try to trade up as far as I can at that moment....

Ive left CDs and took nothing...

I ALWAYS leave (when I remember to bring them) a SIG item (right now just a wooden nickle but soon a new wrapped smal fishing worm and a Business card size image of what you see as my Avatar. (along with my wooden nickle).

My FIRST encounter with an actual geocache, (which was in November) I had forgotten to bring anything with me because I wasnt sure what I would find. I actually took the keys off of my keychain and left that (the keychain, not the keys)and took nothing..

Trade UP as I always say..

:)

Edited by Bass_Chaz

Trade the best swag you're willing to part with and don't fret what others do!

I have left two old GPS, two digital cameras, three odl PDAs

that's cool. I'd wet myself if i found one of those in a cache. :) (though I'd probably leave it after the shock wore off, since I don't need any of them.)

leave whatever you can, but don't be suprised when the very next person either takes it and leaves nothing, or someone takes it and doesn't log at all. You did your part anyway.

How about creating a DVD/CD/VHS library cache where only these items are traded for? I have seen it done before and it does make an interesting themed cache.