Garmin GSPMAP 60Cx vs. 76CSx

Hi all ...

I'm looking to spend some of my Christmas money and other cash I've saved up over the last 12 months for a new GPS unit. When family asked what I wanted for Christmas this year, I simply asked for cash that I could use for the upgrade. That money added to some money I've saved up over the last 12 months gives me a budget of $475.

Currently at FactoryOutletstore.com, they have some decent rebates on the Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx ($450 base cost with $115 in rebates) and Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx units ($450 base cost with $50 in rebates). I'm also looking at some mapping software.

I have a few questions I was hoping I could get some feedback on before purchasing my unit.

1) The 76CSx comes with 128 MB memory vs. 64 MB for the 60Cx. Other than that they seem pretty much to be identical units (though physically they look *very* different from each other). Can anybody who has experience with either unit share their experiences with it? I'm leaning towards the 76CSx only because it has more memory. If there are any compelling reasons to go with the 60Cx despite it having half as much memory, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Judging by the pictures, it's hard to tell which nterface is the most user-friendly.

2) Are the prices about right for these units (given the rebates)?

3) What kind of resolution comes with the basemaps? Road-wise, is the best "resolution" at the highway-leven (i.e. Interstates and Major State Roads with no minor / residential roads)? I would like to get complete roadmaps for New England and the Northeast. What are my options? I'm looking at MapSource US Topo CD-ROM for $100 or so (010-10215-02). Is that the best way to go?

4) Also, if I get the MapSource US Topo package above, does that come with detailed maps of cities such as Boston, etc. or would I have to buy those separately?

Thanks for putting up with my questions. My current GPS is an eXplorist 200, which does not come with any real mapping software to speak of other than a primitive basemap .... and no USB connection.

I appreciate any feedback on the Garmin units you could provide. I don't want to rush into a GPSr purchase and regret it later.

Cheers,

Matt

[Edit : Correction .... the 76CSx only has a $50 instand rebate]

Edited by Western_Mass_Clan

1) The 76CSx comes with 128 MB memory vs. 64 MB for the 60Cx. Other than that they seem pretty much to be identical units (though physically they look *very* different from each other). Can anybody who has experience with either unit share their experiences with it? I'm leaning towards the 76CSx only because it has more memory. If there are any compelling reasons to go with the 60Cx despite it having half as much memory, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Judging by the pictures, it's hard to tell which nterface is the most user-friendly.

You can buy expanded microSD cards for both units up to 2gb. 1 gb cards are running less than $30. I would not make the purchase decision on shipped-with memory since you will likely upgrade this eventually with either unit you decide to purchase.

I have not used a 76, so I can not comment on the pro/cons of each. There are other threads on the forum that discuss this.

2) Are the prices about right for these units (given the rebates)?

I can't comment. I found Amazon to be very competitive when I purchased my 60CSx over the summer. The rebates are available to buyers at Amazon.

3) What kind of resolution comes with the basemaps? Road-wise, is the best "resolution" at the highway-leven (i.e. Interstates and Major State Roads with no minor / residential roads)? I would like to get complete roadmaps for New England and the Northeast. What are my options? I'm looking at MapSource US Topo CD-ROM for $100 or so (010-10215-02). Is that the best way to go?

The base map is useless (as are all base maps provided on all GPSs). If you want to autoroute for use in the car, you need to purchase North Americal City Navigator. Buy the NT version for either the 60Cx or 76Cx. The street reference in TOPO is sparse and the TOPO set does not support auto-routing.

4) Also, if I get the MapSource US Topo package above, does that come with detailed maps of cities such as Boston, etc. or would I have to buy those separately?

No. You should purchase NA CN NT for detailed street maps.

Happy shopping!

I have and use the 76CSX and I prefer it over the 60CX but that is a personal choice. I have and use a 76S and a 76CS. I love the 76 series and they work well for me. The base map memory difference isn't a problem between the two as both have expandable memoy and I am sure you will want to add mapping software. TOPO mapsource won't help much for cities but is better than just the base maps. A software program like city select or city navigator would show the cities details better than TOPO would. I am not sure of the exact screen resolution but are not an area of concern as far as seeing. I think the price of the 76CSX seems a little high as I purchased one for $350 from Off Route just a couple of weeks ago and also purchased a 1G micro SD memory card. The added memory is really nice but I could have done without it as I had loaded most maps I needed before on my 76CS which didn't have the advantage of the added memory card. For some reason some have complained about the problem of not being able to use lithium batteries in the 60CX or CSX but I have not had that problem in my 76CSX. The biggest reason I purchased the 76CSX is because of the new SIRF chip which keeps sat. lock in very adverse conditions and have not lost signal to date. I also like the barometric pressure barometer and the electronic compass of the 76CSX. Hope this helps somewhat.

team sidewinder

Edited by Team Sidewinder

You're comparing a sensor unit (76CSx) with a non-sensor unit (60Cx). Both the 60 and 76 come in sensor and non-sensor flavors. If you want to compare the 76CSx and the 60CSx, or the 76Cx to the 60Cx, it's pretty simple: the 76CSx floats, the 60CSx doesn't; the 76CSx comes with a higher capacity memory card (which isn't really an issue, since you'll probably upgrade to a 1 or 2 gig card anyway). Other than that, and the screen/button layouts, the units are identical.

You're comparing a sensor unit (76CSx) with a non-sensor unit (60Cx). Both the 60 and 76 come in sensor and non-sensor flavors. If you want to compare the 76CSx and the 60CSx, or the 76Cx to the 60Cx, it's pretty simple: the 76CSx floats, the 60CSx doesn't; the 76CSx comes with a higher capacity memory card (which isn't really an issue, since you'll probably upgrade to a 1 or 2 gig card anyway). Other than that, and the screen/button layouts, the units are identical.

What he said .... .. I went 76CSX based on where the buttons are .. others go 60CSx ...

Thank you everybody for your replies. Some very good information. Also found this great thread after a search and a little digging:

60CSx meet the 76CSx

My only remaining question: Based on your feedback, I'm now looking at Garmin's North America City Navigator, v. 8 (around $100). Based on the specs at the website, it looks as if it covers all of the U.S. and Canada. However, is this coverage limited to large metropolitan areas only, or will there be coverage of small towns as well? I live in a rural area and would like any software package I pick up with roads to include not only the major interstates, highways, and city streets, but also smaller roads, side roads, etc. like you'd find in small-town America.

BTW .... I'm now leaning towards the 60CSx .... because, considering most everything else is equal, the user interface seems better suited to how I'd want to use it / hold it / etc. while caching. I think I'd prefer the "cell phone" grip vs. the "remote control" style grip. As you all said, the memory is the only major difference (and floating) and I'll probably upgrade eventually anyway.

Thanks!

Matt

I have CN 8 and it even has most of the small gravel roads where I live(WV) I have the 60CSx and I love it had an explorist 200 so you will be greatly impressedI dont have the topo's but I really havent run in to a time when I needed it. CN8 has probably paid for it and the GPSr with what I save in gas I was a grab the gps and go, no maps or anything took lots of wrong terms but not so much any more the maps are a couple of years old so they dont have all the updates

Good Luck

might wanna check out this http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=151544

Edited by oldnavy59

My only remaining question: Based on your feedback, I'm now looking at Garmin's North America City Navigator, v. 8 (around $100). Based on the specs at the website, it looks as if it covers all of the U.S. and Canada. However, is this coverage limited to large metropolitan areas only, or will there be coverage of small towns as well? I live in a rural area and would like any software package I pick up with roads to include not only the major interstates, highways, and city streets, but also smaller roads, side roads, etc. like you'd find in small-town America.

Don't be misled by the "City" in City Navigator. It covers the entire country. However, you may want to look for the NT version. Exact same data, but it's compressed in a way that it takes up less space in your GPS. You can get the entire US on a 1 gig card with the NT version. With the non-NT version, you can get maybe 2/3rd of that on the same size memory card.