Need Opinion On Cache Idea

muttz

Hi,

I wasn't certain where to post this.

I have never placed a cache, but I was wondering what level of interest there may be in placing a cache that would be as handicap accessible as possible. I was looking at the website that rates the caches for accessibility, but I haven't found a way to search, on Groundpeask, for caches that are listed as accessible by the handicapped. Maybe that is a paid subscription option.

Anyway, I was thinking of placing a cache at the end of a property, with permission, that is bordered by a big sidewalk, has on street parking, and a very low curb. I was going to put the cache in plain site inside a heavy steel box mounted on a pole. The cache would be marked as to what it is, and indicating that nothing of value is inside. This brings me to my specific concerns that I would like opinions on.

Nothing in the placing a cache tutorial said that it couldn't be locked. I was thinking of a push-button combination lock with the combination placed on the website where the cache is listed.

The box is going to be thick steel that could only be moved by attaching it to a vehicle and yanking it out of the ground. I was figuring it to be about 10 to 12 inches square.

I am not sure if this type of cache would even be desired. I know that there are cachers with disabilities, but I'm not sure is this one would be too easy for people to even bother with. On the site I wasn't really going to give anything other than the coordinates since it will be in plain site.

Maybe it could be a first find for beginners as well as those with disabilities. Maybe it will bring attention to the sport to those who have never heard of it. Maybe it is a lame idea.

Finally, if I do it, I have to have the box made. That is unless someone has any better ideas.

Thank you.

but I haven't found a way to search, on Groundpeask, for caches that are listed as accessible by the handicapped

Any cache with 1 star terrain is supposed to handicap accessible. In practice many are not. There is also a handicap accessible attribute that can be searched on using a pocket query.

Also see Handicaching.com.

Since this isn't a getting started issue I'm sliding this over to the general forum.

First, thank you for hiding accessible caches! We appreciate you!

However, it's a common mistake for folks to equate handicap with stupidity! Or physical disability with mental.

I get this a lot when I use my wheelchair - When I am on crutches folks treat me like anyone else, but when I use my wheelchair they often bend over to my level and speak loudly, slowly and clearly, as if losing a leg made me deaf or unable to comprehend!

All of this is to say, to ask; don't confuse accessibility with difficulty!

Terrain accessibility is often a real issue with disabled cachers, hide difficulty rarely is.

The cache described in the OP deals with terrain - it is easily accessible, making it available to almost all cachers regardless of physical disability.

Making it so obvious, however, may only help a very small population, if any, and spoils the experience for most. Lamp-post-in-a-parking-lot caches can be had by any cacher, and most areas don't lack for them!

I would suggest making it Terrain 1, easily wheelchair accessible, but of higher difficulty, meaning harder to actually find.

Personally, there are a few folks that have hidden 'tribute caches' for me... but they are real challenges to do! I would be embarrassed if someone made a lamp-post tribute cache unless I was almost completely unable to cache.

Thanks, have fun

Ed

I find myself agonizing over this one a bit. There are so many ways to be disabled that if I mark a cache as accessible to the disabled, then there's sure to be some who still can not get to it and some for whom it is too easy. What a wide range to categorize! We can limit it to the wheelchair-bound, but I've seen those who can stand from a wheelchair long enough to grab a high object or bend over a bush, and I've known those who find it a great challenge just to fully extend an arm to reach an object at eye level. I like to assume that a person who can't reach beyond wheelchair level will come prepared with a reaching device, but I'm not sure if that's fair.

The other attribute I find myself selecting and de-selecting frequently is that kid-friendly one. I don't have kids so I may never really know what that means, to be kid-friendly.

Getting to the cache in a wheelchair is one thing, but that doesn't mean necessarily being able to retrieve it. Many who are in wheelchairs have reaching devices, so I'm not sure if that should be considered.

Edit: dang, I think I need to go back and change my attributes again. I keep changing them on this one.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

Getting to the cache in a wheelchair is one thing, but that doesn't mean necessarily being able to retrieve it. Many who are in wheelchairs have reaching devices, so I'm not sure if that should be considered.

Edit: dang, I think I need to go back and change my attributes again. I keep changing them on this one.

I wouln't assume they had a reaching device. That's specialized equipment. Wheelchair + arms reach = 1.

The accessibility issue is an interesting question, but first to address the actual OP question, there is no problem with a combination lock on the cache if that's what you want to do.

To the accessibility issue, would it be OK to rate a cache 1 star with a note that a wheelchair bound cacher might need help to retrieve the cache, assuming heshe did not have a reaching device?

Could a typical reaching device that a wheelchair user might have reach into a small hole and grasp something that is nearly the size of the hole and bring it out?

I have attempted to place a couple that are moderately accessible, but by the Grace of God, never having had to use a wheelchair, I have a hard time really "grasping" (pardon the pun) the limitations beyond the obvious terrain issues.

I am especially curious because I just placed one recently with a 1 rating and i stated that handicapped might not be able to retrieve it without help. Should I re-rate it?

I had several goes at placing handicaches - I had a chat to someone with a son in a wheelchair before designing them - the issue is less of terrain with the newer chairs and more of reach. getting the reach right is hard outdoors but garden beds near paving help - they are both at chair reach height and in plain sight, and are puzzle caches. one has the logbook and stamp inside a cryptex -you get the coords but must solve the puzzle to open the cryptex. It is in plain sight, just a black screwtop container half buried so it looks like a plumbing fixture. The other is a hollowed out book that closes magnetically - you can thumb throught the first eight chapters!

Some wheelchair bound persons have other muscular problems so I actually don't know it the cryptex is suitable for them although it is not fiddly or heavy being made of cardboard.

Goodluck - I think handicaches are a great idea.

I think the best thing to do is rate it for wheelchairs, I figure that anyone in a wheelchair that is capable of propelling themselves by turning the wheels by hand will be able do the cache you describe (Able to work the lock and sign the log). I think that to be a true train 1 the location needs to be reachable in a hand propelled wheelchair.

Weather the cache can (Or can not) be retrieved while seated in the chair is more a reflection of the difficulty rating of the cache. I think if it is not reachable from the chair a note of some sort could be put in the cache description (i.e. If in wheelchair raise cache difficulty to 3 (Or what ever number you chose))

I am trying to figure out what other handicaps that a cache rating system might help with, other that the mobility issues (i.e. needs wheelchair, walker, or crutches)

I have heard of at least of one person who is blind (I Read in the forums here) that would cache with others, I regrettably do not recall the details at the moment.

I do have a vague idea for a cache for a blind person that would require the cache to emit a sound (Possibly triggered by a radio)

Jim

Kc8bdr

First, what ever you hide, at least some people will claim to find it enjoyable. If its obvious you've made an effort (which from the description of the cache, it sounds like it will be), then I'd imagine that you won't get too much negative feedback about it. I'd probably also include a "For more information about this visit www.geocaching.com" on the outside of the container.

Now as far as the cache being accessible, that's where I always stumble. I'm never sure how much is too difficult for someone in a wheel chair to handle. The problem for my caches always comes with the actual search. There's only so much search you can do with limited mobility (at least I imagine that to be the case) hence none of my caches are marked as wheel chair accessible. A very specific set of circumstances in my mind has to be reached in order for a cache to be totally wheel chair accessible (although many people in wheel chairs can probably find caches that aren't billed as wheel chair accessible, which is where the quandry lies)

I probably wouldn't bill this cache as being 'designed for the handicapped' though, but rather as a gentle introduction to the game. The combination thing should be enough to intrigue some, and if you place the website address on there, you'll likely get a few people interested enough to visit the site.

I am especially curious because I just placed one recently with a 1 rating and i stated that handicapped might not be able to retrieve it without help. Should I re-rate it?

Can't people search for the handicap attribute? I think it's with pq's? If that is the case, then if you put the handicap attribute on your cache it should be retrievable without help, because people may only look at the attributes. Although, I would think they would look to be sure.... :laughing:

Anyway, I was thinking of placing a cache at the end of a property, with permission, that is bordered by a big sidewalk, has on street parking, and a very low curb. I was going to put the cache in plain site inside a heavy steel box mounted on a pole. The cache would be marked as to what it is, and indicating that nothing of value is inside. This brings me to my specific concerns that I would like opinions on.

Nothing in the placing a cache tutorial said that it couldn't be locked. I was thinking of a push-button combination lock with the combination placed on the website where the cache is listed.

The box is going to be thick steel that could only be moved by attaching it to a vehicle and yanking it out of the ground. I was figuring it to be about 10 to 12 inches square.

I am not sure if this type of cache would even be desired. I know that there are cachers with disabilities, but I'm not sure is this one would be too easy for people to even bother with. On the site I wasn't really going to give anything other than the coordinates since it will be in plain site.

Maybe it could be a first find for beginners as well as those with disabilities. Maybe it will bring attention to the sport to those who have never heard of it. Maybe it is a lame idea.

Finally, if I do it, I have to have the box made. That is unless someone has any better ideas.

Thank you.

Hi mate, I think you can pretty well do anything so long as it is not impossible!

Check this Really HIGHTECH cache.

It has some pretty high tech security as it was muggled again and now it wont be muggled! It is a steel post cemented into the ground, with a digital combo safe.......... Short of a hacksaw or 4x4 to run it over, it wont be muggled by your average "rape and pillage a cache" muggle. Most of the muggles I have heard of here in Australia are simply people that just do it because they simply dont understand the game, or have the "technology" (GPSr) to do it with!!

I work with the developmentally disabled who are at varying levels of physical disablility as well. Our agency goes from the one extreme of having individuals who can do nothing for themsleves to the other extreme of having individuals with driver's licenses.

As for me I have some nerve damage in my limbs that makes it more difficult now for me to judge surfaces that I am walking on. It's is more of a nuisance than a handicap for I can still use all of my limbs and can ambulate without any noticeable difficulty. Sometimes I'll get a "Whatsamatter" when I hesitate to think about walking on a slippery surface where others are getting all the feedback they need about the surface from their peripheral nervous system.

With that history and a slight desire to promote the sport around here is why I would like to place this cache. The plain sight part was more for promotion because I was going to paint it the green color of the stickers that you can buy for the caches and I was going to put the stickers on the cache. I was going to stencil the website address as well.

I think I probably will promote it as a gentle introduction to the sport as suggested.

So now I have one more question. I need to put a polite notice on the website listing of the cache to not go up and knock on the property owners door if there are any issue with the cache, and to contact the cache owner instead. I was thinking of just putting the following:

This cache is maintained by me so any issues regarding the cache need to be addressed to me. Please do not go to the house on the property where the cache is at for any problems or questions about the cache. This cache is placed with permission.

That doesn't sound mean does it?

Edited by muttz

So now I have one more question. I need to put a polite notice on the website listing of the cache to not go up and knock on the property owners door if there are any issue with the cache, and to contact the cache owner instead. I was thinking of just putting the following:

This cache is maintained by me so any issues regarding the cache need to be addressed to me. Please do not go to the house on the property where the cache is at for any problems or questions about the cache. This cache is placed with permission.

That doesn't sound mean does it?

It doesn't sound mean, but it won't always be read either!

I have a cache on my front porch; just today a cacher called me on the phone and said she had looked all over the furniture on my porch and couldn't find it. I laughed and told her she was on my neighbors porch!

Like many cachers, she just had her eTrex Legend full of waypoints to go by, no cache descriptions.

If you do this, place the request as you have it, but also make sure no neighbor will object to strangers that come calling!

Ed