Server too busy ....... again

CrazyL200

Maybe the answer is, keep the Geocaching site free, but Premium members get priority when things get busy, ie non-paying cachers get logged off -or aren't allowed to log in until things are less busy...

And when things get REALLY busy, us Charter Members get to bump you 'orrible Premium Members off the site. :o:blink:

Maybe the answer is, keep the Geocaching site free, but Premium members get priority when things get busy, ie non-paying cachers get logged off -or aren't allowed to log in until things are less busy...

G

:huh:

But the premium members are those dedicated ones who hammer the site with 100 finds after a weekend. :)

G

<_<

But the premium members are those dedicated ones who hammer the site with 100 finds after a weekend. <_<

Yep, I'm still waiting for the server to work, to log the other 97 from the weekend! :ph34r:

G

:ph34r:

Not a bad idea, but why not make a nominal annual charge of say $10 for everyone who does not wish to pay the $30 to be a Premium Member, if this would help with upgrading the site.

G

:ph34r:

Not a bad idea, but why not make a nominal annual charge of say $10 for everyone who does not wish to pay the $30 to be a Premium Member, if this would help with upgrading the site.

But it would cause others to leave. There was an interesting post somewhere considering the impact to the site if Groundspeak was taken over by Google.

I'm getting a bit fed up of the abysmal performance of the geocaching.com website now. Timeouts virtually every time I visit, whatever the day or time. Not sure why I renewed my premium membership last week.

Maybe they should invest some of our money in some better servers?

I'm getting a bit fed up of the abysmal performance of the geocaching.com website now. Timeouts virtually every time I visit, whatever the day or time. Not sure why I renewed my premium membership last week.

Check out this thread in the main forum.

TPTB are looking at sorting the problem. It seems that it's not so much of a hardware problem, more of a software/programming one. They have called in the services of some more experienced designers who are currently looking at the situation.

Check out this thread in the main forum.

TPTB are looking at sorting the problem. It seems that it's not so much of a hardware problem, more of a software/programming one. They have called in the services of some more experienced designers who are currently looking at the situation.

Good news, thanks for the pointer. Hopefully things will improve soon.

Here's a little parallel for anyone who'd charge everyone to cache.

I'm about to go and give blood, as I feel this is a good and kind thing to do. I'm not going to get paid for it (biscuits don't count) but I'm happy to do it anyway because, as the adverts say, I might save someone's life.

In the USA I'd be paid for giving blood, but on the other hand, with their insurance-based healthcare system, I might also be charged to receive some back if I needed it. Should the UK follow suit at some point, I might have to think twice about freely handing over a resource which, frankly, I'm using. It's very nearly an arm-full they take, you know. As I understand it, ambulance costs of attending an RTA may already be charged (and recovered back through insurance, in theory), so perhaps it's not such a wild possibility.

I'd like better servers too, but it's nieve to think charging everyone to cache would guarantee an improved service. Indeed, I'd expect many people would follow my 'if I'm not charging them to hide caches, why am I being charged to find them?' philosophy and archive their caches. That might take some load off the servers (you can't log what doesn't exist) but I suspect that's not the improved service we'd all wish for.

Lambaste away for my views, but please don't make it personal - I haven't.

Now excuse me, I have an appointment with a big needle...

Considering there are more free members than Premium or Charter members of Geocaching I'm not surprised gc.com goes down from time to time.

I cant see this continuing forever - GSAK have recently started to charge for updates for the same reason, because, quite simply, the site was swamped. As full members are beginning to hesitate renewing their memberships gc.com might have to force their hand and start prioritising the paid over the non-paid members.

I see geocaching as a hobby/club. And like most clubs you expect to pay membership which pays for the overheads etc. I will continue to pay my membership even though I cant currenty go out and cache as much as I would like due to lack of money. I am forever amazed that people expect to be freeby members for years, dont pay anything to Groundspeak and expect a lot in return. Sooner or later the sheer number of members will cause the entire system to creak to a halt. Servers can be improved to a certain point but you need money to throw at it - it cannot be achieved for nothing.

By the way, you'd be suprised who from the 'other side' reads the UK forum, and this thread...

Edited by Alice Band

Well said, Marika. My post was brought on by the fact that I've learned to tolerate the 'weekend evening errors', not to mention the Wednesday morning silly hour, and quite simply avoided the site at those times. Now we seem to be at the point where weekday mornings, when the majority (I guess the US users still qualify as a majority?) of users are making Zeds (zees?) we are getting problems.

No, I'm not going to stop paying my dues or stop caching, but it's getting really frustrating.