Server too busy ....... again

CrazyL200

Wap doesn't work with 7 digits yet.

I think they should change the error messages from...

"server too busy"

to

"geocaching is too popular"

Yep it does. It recognises they exist, however, recently published ones (GC10006 in the Czech Republic, for example) give 'You cannot log a disabled cache'.

Older 7 digits such as GC10038 in London, are fine to log via wap.

Oh, sorry, gave me the wrong cache to log for.

How about "Geocachers are outrunning the hamsters, please allow them to catch up"? ;):D

Edited by Edgemaster

We tried to post a photo with a cache log and the server was busy and we could not add it. Is this quite usual then? ;)

Yes as photos have their own server, but not surprising considering that it's probably the busiest time of the year for the site. As virtually everywhere is celebrating the holiday ;)

We tried to post a photo with a cache log and the server was busy and we could not add it. Is this quite usual then? ;)

It is at busy times - typically weekends, especially Sunday evenings, and holidays

I have been logging caches this evening and the 'server busy' has been coming up occasionally - I expect it well get worse as the US cachers start logging in 3 or 4 hours

Groundspeak are working with a outside consultant company on increasing the scalability and stability of the site. Once they have compiled their report and Groundspeak have implemented them, there will be a vast improvement. Sorry no time scale is available :grin: , but I can promise it will be before April the 1st...................................2010 :unsure:

Here we go again ;):)B)B)

Go spend some money on more servers :mad:;):(

Throwing more servers into it may make the problem worse in the long term. There may be scalability issues. Also, the Windows overheads are quite high...

Oh, and I'll add, none of the Groundspeak people read here, it would be more useful go and vent your frustration in the main forums with all the others.

Edited by Edgemaster

Here we go again :D:D:D:D

Go spend some money on more servers :huh::D:D

Throwing more servers into it may make the problem worse in the long term. There may be scalability issues. Also, the Windows overheads are quite high...

Oh, and I'll add, none of the Groundspeak people read here, it would be more useful go and vent your frustration in the main forums with all the others.

Well said Edgey - it seems to be the same old people complaining in here week after week...

Do what I do - lighten up a ittle, shrug your shoulders and go do something else for a few hours!!

After all - surely MOST people have a live other than caching?

Here we go again :huh::D:D:D

Go spend some money on more servers :lol::):D

Well said Edgey - it seems to be the same old people complaining in here week after week...

Do what I do - lighten up a ittle, shrug your shoulders and go do something else for a few hours!!

After all - surely MOST people have a live other than caching?

Life What Life :huh::D:D:D:D:D:D:shocked:

I Like to Moan :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Actually - you're right - I have no life either... it's ALL about the caching!

I reckon it cost me a FtF too - I met the cacher who did get it late at night in a field as he left the cache, and he'd a) had no problem with the site, and b ) beaten me too it by less than the time I'd spent trying to reload and reload.

Oh well - it's only a game.

Edited by OldNickCov

Not exactly the same topic, but.... why on some days do I get a reply to a pocket query within minutes but at other times I can be waiting until the following day? I don't think the problem is at my end as I usually try with two different addresses, surprise surprise my AOL generally takes longer than my Googlemail one, but still (today, for example) there appears to be no response whatsoever). Any ideas?

Good post here from renegade knight, in the topic that HH linked to:

One of the worst problems a company can have is growth from success. It’s easy to grow slowly. It’s hard to grow fast.

The problem is almost always money. The specific issue really doesn’t matter unless there is no solution. The problem is money because when you hit a wall with your company the next step means a major investment in equipment and people. The investment can kill a firm.

Take SD Cards. They are cheap. 24 bucks and you can store more music than you can listen to in a week. The factory to make a single SD card costs billions. If after building that factory you don’t sell enough SD Cards to cover costs…you go bankrupt. If you do nothing you lose customers to the company that does make the factory and having a newer factory they can sell them cheaper and you go bankrupt. There are more options but they all pretty much suck. It’s the problem most companies dream of having. Too much success.

If the formula holds true. GC.com (and any other listing site) will grow until they hit the maximum amount of traffic they can handle. Then they start having problems delivering services to customers. The fix, migrate to the next level of equipment, plus the staff or contract to take care of it. But you have to make an investment that is far and away more than originally anticipated back when they had no idea where this activity would take them. They will have to look, look at the viability of non paying customers. If they don’t have enough premium members to pay for the equipment and the cost of running it they will have to change something. Increase prices and you can lose paying customers. If everyone pays…he breaks a promise (one that I never saw as realistic because of this problem) and loses a lot of customers. If he holds back on the required improvements until premium members can cover costs, he loses customers due to ongoing performance issues.

I have no doubt there is equipment and people who can tackle the job. It’s a question of how to pay for it. There are options. Some will kill geoacaching.com, some may merely maim it. Others may take this company to the next level where it thrives but that may have a price that in the end spells out the doom of geocaching.com or a loss of at least some managerial control of the present PTB.

Whether or not Geocaching.com has reached this point, I can only speculate. The signs from my end as a user seem to indicate that it has. Long Story short. If I’m right the solution won’t be quick, any other listing site would have the same problem, there is potential for failure, and success may require changes in the way this site does business that can make or break this site.

Long story short, it’s not an easy fix and don’t expect quick turn around, but I’ll bet TPTB are working like never before to get it solved. (It's also 100% Speculation on my part).