Help!

ChristianB

I just got a Garmin etrex Legend Cx. I loaded in some cache coordinates and hopped in the car and started off for my first adventure. To my dismay I was not able to navigate to the cache. I live up in the mountains and had multiple sats available. The compass worked great but it was pointing for me to cross a deep 1000 foot canyon. If I had a map it would have been VERY helpful! To my ignorant mind it looks as though I need a map downloaded into the unit.

Is this true? If so, where do purchase the best maps? And which map is the best??

Thanks for your input!

I just got a Garmin etrex Legend Cx. I loaded in some cache coordinates and hopped in the car and started off for my first adventure. To my dismay I was not able to navigate to the cache. I live up in the mountains and had multiple sats available. The compass worked great but it was pointing for me to cross a deep 1000 foot canyon. If I had a map it would have been VERY helpful! To my ignorant mind it looks as though I need a map downloaded into the unit.

Is this true? If so, where do purchase the best maps? And which map is the best??

Thanks for your input!

You need to have route-capable map data installed, and you need to use the Follow Road option. While there is a base map pre-installed on the unit, it only contains highways and major roads.

Initially, you can print out the maps of the general location of the caches from Geocaching.com. While this solution burns ink, it does give you mas of the area and allows you to scroll the maps to figure out where to park, etc. Many geocachers will also provide coordinates for parking in the body of their description of the cache. Manually enter these coordinates to get to parking, then use the cache coordinates.

Garmin's Mapsource comes in many flavors (meaning several different maps available). The maps come on DVD and are copy protected. I live in Colorado, so I occasionally end up in the mountains. I elected to get (actually Mom gave it to me for my birthday - Thanks Mom!!!) the Garmin Mapsource City Navigator version 8 DVD. This is the more expensive DVD, but it includes the rural roads in North America. Amazon.com had the best price on the DVD. There is an online process to follow to activate the DVD. I have heard horror stories about activation, but I had no problems. Then you can copy the various road maps into your Garmin or onto the micro flash chip in your Garmin. I put all of Colorado's roads into my Garmin and it took 26 MBs for the entire state! I was very impressed.

Remember, however, that the GPSr will now take you to the area of cache - not necessarily to parking. I had the GPSr try to take me to the main highway and just park. The cache was located on the bike path that went under the highway! I realized the problem before I followed the directions to park on the highway and had a good laugh. The GPSr did exactly what I told it to--take me to the cache. In the city and suburbs, I generally follow the on-road directions until I am within 1/2 mile or so, then look around for safe parking.

Take care and have fun,

Outspoken1

If you want good road maps that will allow your unit to make best use of its autorouting capability, you will want City Navigator V8.

If you want topo maps that show terrain features you will want Mapsource Topo.

Ideally you'll have both on your unit, but if you can only have one you'll have to think of your primary use for the unit. If its for hiking, backpacking, hunting, off roading, geocaching in the woods and other outdoors activities you'll want Topo. If its for driving and finding your way around town and for suburban and urban geocaches you'll want City Navigator.

If you want good road maps that will allow your unit to make best use of its autorouting capability, you will want City Navigator V8.

If you want topo maps that show terrain features you will want Mapsource Topo.

Ideally you'll have both on your unit, but if you can only have one you'll have to think of your primary use for the unit. If its for hiking, backpacking, hunting, off roading, geocaching in the woods and other outdoors activities you'll want Topo. If its for driving and finding your way around town and for suburban and urban geocaches you'll want City Navigator.

Hi all im new to this.but i use explorist 400 with mapsend topo 3d for both.good for route go to detail map and choice the area and then go to detail maps in your gps.works great if in fact that is what you are talking about...lol like i said im new to this. Mike

Hi all im new to this.but i use explorist 400 with mapsend topo 3d for both.good for route go to detail map and choice the area and then go to detail maps in your gps.works great if in fact that is what you are talking about...lol like i said im new to this. Mike

The OP is a Garmin owner. Mapsend is not an option, anymore than Mapsource would be an option for a Magellan owner.

The OP is a Garmin owner. Mapsend is not an option, anymore than Mapsource would be an option for a Magellan owner.

thanks prime suspect i told everyone i was new at this. thanks mike