Destruction of Disc

Pegasus053

:) On Sunday I tracked down the above bench mark which was set in the base of some type of signal light in 1942. Well the signal has been gone for a while but the base is still there with the bench mark still attached to it. The concern that I have is the base has been marked with a pink spray paint with a number designation of some significates probably by the city of Waynesboro, PA for possible removal from the site. If this happens the bench mark of course will go with it. Is it important enough to notify anyone so that it can be relocated or just let it go? I do not know if those responsible for the identifying know about benchmarks and I am new to this so I do not know either. If it is important I believe time is short as I believe this painted number is new

Was the marking "C 156" by any chance? If so, it was just the bench mark designation that a survey crew painted on the concrete to help locate the marker.

Yes that was the number that is on there. Thank you for the information. I was just concerned as I know for a fact that other branches of federal, state and local governments most do not care about history or even keeping historical records. What was the purpose or reason do you know.

Ray

That is the actual designation of the disk, and is stamped on the disk somewhere to help identification. The PID designations only came about when the database was computerized as a way to create unique identifiers for each disk as the designation stamped on each disk is in no way unique--there are 29 C 156s for instance, all over the country.

Disk C 156 is part of level line 156, which appears to have been set in 1942 and runs partly down 316 and then northwest up 997. There are other disks in the series--B 156, AA 156, and others that were stamped when the survey crew ran that line.

The designation is what survey crews refer to the disk as and it was most likely painted there by a crew in advance of someone using else it for a project, or just because it was used to find or set an elevation nearby.