Non-driving Cachers

I was wondering approximately how many geocachers out there who don't drive and rely on either public transportation and/or a bicycle for their transportation? I ask because not too long ago I'd gone out on a multi-part cache, and when I got to the third part of the "local" sites and "found" the coords for the prize it was around four or five miles away.

In the description of the cache the hider said "now you have to get in your car and go for a little drive." I'm sorry, but when one doesn't drive and relies on either (or both) a bicycle and public transportation four or five miles is hardly a "little drive." Especially when stops to consider that public transportation isn't likely to be the most "direct" route to the end of the hunt.

Digital_Cowboy

When I did my first cache I did that, had a multi where the second part was several miles away.

But, im a bus driver, so both parts were on the same route.

I'm not sure how many cachers ride the bus or bike, but I have run across one while driving.

I forget the name, but he put his bike on the rack and boarded my bus with a gps, so I asked them what they used it for. I think the response was something like just playing around, so I asked if they ever heard of geocaching and he said he was a geocache.

He also turned out to be a HAM, when I mentioned i use mine for both geocaching and APRS he showed me his HAM HT.

I know theres several caches at or around bus stops, so I too wonder how many cachers get around that way.

When I did my first cache I did that, had a multi where the second part was several miles away.

But, im a bus driver, so both parts were on the same route.

I'm not sure how many cachers ride the bus or bike, but I have run across one while driving.

I forget the name, but he put his bike on the rack and boarded my bus with a gps, so I asked them what they used it for. I think the response was something like just playing around, so I asked if they ever heard of geocaching and he said he was a geocache.

He also turned out to be a HAM, when I mentioned i use mine for both geocaching and APRS he showed me his HAM HT.

I know theres several caches at or around bus stops, so I too wonder how many cachers get around that way.

Nero,

Thanks it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who caches using either or both a bike or bus for transportation to a cache site.

On the cache that I'd mentioned, had I gone out earlier in the day I might not have been put off by the distance, but it was getting close to dusk and I didn't want to be out on the rode on a bike too much after the sun had set. As even with a well lit bike we're still pretty invisible to most "cagers" err motorists. Case in point I was going to a neighborhood pub/eatery "burning" not one, or two 12 volt headlights but three. Two mounted to my handlebar and one mounted to my helmet. And this "fool" starts to pull out with ME in the road in the middle of the driveway. . .

Had I "hit" my breaks the car would have "T-boned" me, fortunately I don't give into panic. There was a gal there with her boyfriend/husband/whatever and I heard her comment (and I think she was a little surprised) that even with all my lights the fool driving the car almost hit me. Sadly I don't think that she really knows just how close that bloody fool came to hitting me.

As I would have been able to put my hand on their cars "bonnet." Or had I wanted to kick their grill I would not have been able to do so because I would not have been able to move my foot in anyway other then pedaling my bike forward.

Digital_Cowboy

At this point in my life I don't drive. So I can't do special caches like that. I rely on family to drive me, and so we usually only do caches while on trips, caches that are near and easy to do.

I've had to adjust to how I cache. Not exactly how I wanted caching to be, but at least I am caching.

Not at home but I sometimes do when travelling. I recall Brussels and Boston where I used public transport and Berlin where I rented a bike. For Tokyo I had taken a folding bike with me on the plane which worked great as you can take it on the subway and the sidewalks have bike lanes painted on them too.

I hope he was not seriously hurt when you ran across him! :DB):laughing::D

Well, I must go now as it is past mid-day and being christmas day we are heading to the beach as most good Aussie's traditionally do! Tomorrow we might just head out for a bit of local caching, maybe a drive south this time!

:mad::o:D:huh::huh::D:(

Not at home but I sometimes do when travelling. I recall Brussels and Boston where I used public transport and Berlin where I rented a bike. For Tokyo I had taken a folding bike with me on the plane which worked great as you can take it on the subway and the sidewalks have bike lanes painted on them too.

Sounds like you had a good outing. Where were the sidewalks with painted bike lanes? Some of the streets here in St. Pete have 'em, but sadly not enough in my opinion. I think that it was passed that when streets are widened that they have to included a bike path, but I'm not sure on that.

Digital_Cowboy

Some time ago, a team logged a DNF on one of my caches. It's a urban cache and I had included a photo of the general area which is close to a subway station. But the cache itself is located at about 2 miles from that subway station.

So after the DNF I received an email from them, saying that they all went there by subway figuring that the cache would be closer to the station. And were quite unhappy about it. :laughing:

So yes there are more people out there caching using public transportation. :D

In NJ we had a local geocacher who was famous for using public transportation for his caching (His avater was the NJ Transit logo). If you are unfamiliar with the NJ public transist sytem, its designed to get people from NJ to NYC and back, not around the state. So using the public transit system to get around NJ is quite a feat in itself.

We were amazed by the caches he would get to. He wasn't hesitant to walk several miles to the trailhead from the bus stop or train station and would sometimes put in as many as 12-15 and more miles of walking during a day of caching. He moved back to his native Czech Republic a while ago and I don't know if he is still using public transportation there.

Edited by briansnat

Where were the sidewalks with painted bike lanes?

Everywhere you go in Tokyo. Also quite a lot in Berlin although, in typical German style, instead of temporary paint they often use a different pavement surface to identify the bike lanes - more permanent :laughing: .

Cool, I only flew through Japan on my way home from S. Korea a "few" years ago. Didn't have enough time to do any sightseeing.

Herman

4 or 5 miles is a quick little jaunt on a bike

True enough depending on the time of day. Later in the day/evening when it's getting darker it can prove to be dangerous, esp. with inattentive drivers out on the road who are too busy yaking on their cell phones and NOT paying attention to their driving.

Digital_Cowboy

Whilst living in Melbourne we walked over 50km to get to a multi only to find I didn't read the page properly. Had to do it again the next day. 2 days later found out that the train stopped within 2km of the cache site.

Previous to this I had not owned a car for around 15 years.

4 or 5 miles is a quick little jaunt on a bike

Forgot to mention that whereas 4 or 5 miles one way "is a quick little jaunt on a bike" don't forget that round trip that it equals to 8 or 10 miles. And IF it's getting late in the day/dark out it gets more and more risky to be out on the road on a bike, trust me I know that all too well.

Digital_Cowboy

Thanks for the interesting thread. I do have access to a car but generally I have to cache using alternate methods. I am now alittle over 400 by some form of human powered vehicle - usually bicycle. The longest cache that I did was a multi called Winnipeg GPS Validation Network

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...91-d585583dcdff

This cache took me a couple of months since I had to find time to ride out to each location from home and at least one leg added up to 140km round trip. The hider has posted the co-ordinates of all of the locations but originally you had to work out the pier locations - it was a long ride to find out you were wrong.

Since I do not drive, I use a bicycle exclusively for my transportation which can make it difficult to do a lot of caching. However my father is addicted and will usually grab me when he has several he wants to get and would like some company. Of course I could always use the local geocaching pizza events to make some new friends and potential geocache chauffers.

Thanks for the interesting thread. I do have access to a car but generally I have to cache using alternate methods. I am now alittle over 400 by some form of human powered vehicle - usually bicycle. The longest cache that I did was a multi called Winnipeg GPS Validation Network

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...91-d585583dcdff

This cache took me a couple of months since I had to find time to ride out to each location from home and at least one leg added up to 140km round trip. The hider has posted the co-ordinates of all of the locations but originally you had to work out the pier locations - it was a long ride to find out you were wrong.

burchil,

I've gotta agree with ya that a 86 - 87 mile round trip is a bit much to find out that one has made a mistake in their math. And that is something that I think cache hiders need to keep in mind when they're out hiding their caches, i.e. what may be a "short" drive in a car for a cacher who drives could be an all day hike for someone who walks, or better/worse. Or could be a several hour/better part of the day bike trip for someone who rides a bike. Or multiple bus or subway transfers and/or taxi rides for someone who uses public transportation to get around.

Digital_Cowboy

Sometime last year, around June, I decided to stop driving between caches. Since then, I usually drive to the first cache, hop on my bike, and go to other ones near-by, anywhere from 3-30 caches on rides of 6-30 miles. It makes the whole caching experience a lot different, and better IMHO. If there's one that's a multi, and the legs are too far away, the remaining legs go on the list for another day. Now that I'm thinking about this, I've also done this for my Waymarking, walking or biking between the waymarks I create (or found or whatever).