Trick Caches

ADKSherpa

I was over checking on my cache yesterday and walking back from it I noticed a few sticks over a hole up against a tree. It looked a lot like a place where someone had placed a cache. It wasn't but it sparked an idea.

Is it legal to place a decoy near the actual cache to foul others into thinking that the cache lies at that spot ? Not an actual cache container but something that looks like a cache might be here.

Just wondering. Thanks !

I was over checking on my cache yesterday and walking back from it I noticed a few sticks over a hole up against a tree. It looked a lot like a place where someone had placed a cache. It wasn't but it sparked an idea.

Is it legal to place a decoy near the actual cache to foul others into thinking that the cache lies at that spot ? Not an actual cache container but something that looks like a cache might be here.

Just wondering. Thanks !

Absolutely. Deception is all part of the game. Chances are though, that after the decoy has been looked in a time or two, someone won't feel the need to reset it.

I have a trick one:

This Place rocks, Not!

It is an ammo can with supplies to help find the final micro. Most notable are the plastic disposable arm length gloves with the final coordinates written on them.

The coordinates lead you to a concrete outhouse and attached to the underside of the seat is a decoy string with a weight. I won't say online where the final is but I have fooled a few people! :)

I was spoofing another popular cache down the road at another smelly outhouse at a boat ramp. The cache there was under a rock near the door to the outhouse. Everyone liked it even though the smell was awful 30 feet away! ;)

Yup, they can be fun!

I know of many caches of a similar nature. See Red is something like twenty bison tubes hanging in trees, all but one say "Not it!"

I know of several like where the cache is an ammo can in the edge of the woods behind a guardrail at a scenic overlook, and on the guardrail is a micro thet says "Keep looking!"

I have a game I take to events - a set of four golf ball split in half with a small container and log inside. One has a slip exchangeable for a prize, the other three say "Nope, not it!". I mix them in with fifty normal golf balls, throw them all over the ground at events and let the kids (okay, everybody plays!) hunt for the prize. Great fun to watch!

Have fun,

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Just wondering. Thanks !

I placed a ruse container and several false geo-signs at my cache, Before You Can Torment, You Must Learn To Annoy. :laughing:

I'm sure there are cases where it's done well, but in general, I don't see the point. The only time I've seen it done was in a series notorious for its evilness. I understand many cachers like "evil" hides, and this would certainly rank, so I'm not saying "don't do it", just that I for one wouldn't care for it. I wouldn't want to look for a fake rock in a rock pile; I'm not convinced that finding the real cache amongst a bunch of fake ones is all that different.

Here's one for you. It's called O'Christmas Tree. The location here it's hidden is a group of five pine trees. hidden all around the trees are camouflaged film cans hanging from fishing line. Inside all of them are various Christmas messages or taunts "Not it, tired of looking yet?, etc).

I have a cache, the outside container is quite large, and it is filled with film canisters. Only one has the log book in it. The others all say "Not this one" There also isnt a pencil in any of the containers, therefore none rattle, so you have to physically search through all the canisters till you find the correct one.

Seen the latter. The former sounds like fun too.

These are really cool as long as you have an idea what you are getting into. If you don't know it is going to be an "evil hide" before you go, you can always abort, go home, and post a nasty log if you didn't like it. - or claim a find without signing the log... As a bonus, this gives you a reason to post in the forum about how your log got deleted. :)

HEY! I'M KIDDING ABOUT THE NASTY LOG OK? :P

I was once looking for an evil micro.

After much searching, I spotted something something odd about a telephone pole. There was a little 1/8" stub slightly protuding from it. I grabbed it with my fingernails and extracted a short dowel. On it was written "Not the cache" or something to the effect. I just bust out laughing! Sneaky, sneaky.

I did eventually find the micro, but I always get a kick thinking back on the decoy.

Here's one for you. It's called O'Christmas Tree. The location here it's hidden is a group of five pine trees. hidden all around the trees are camouflaged film cans hanging from fishing line. Inside all of them are various Christmas messages or taunts "Not it, tired of looking yet?, etc).

I have a cache, the outside container is quite large, and it is filled with film canisters. Only one has the log book in it. The others all say "Not this one" There also isnt a pencil in any of the containers, therefore none rattle, so you have to physically search through all the canisters till you find the correct one.

Seen the latter. The former sounds like fun too.

These are really cool as long as you have an idea what you are getting into. If you don't know it is going to be an "evil hide" before you go, you can always abort, go home, and post a nasty log if you didn't like it. - or claim a find without signing the log... As a bonus, this gives you a reason to post in the forum about how your log got deleted. :P

HEY! I'M KIDDING ABOUT THE NASTY LOG OK? :)

Heres the link to the cache I mention above.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...88-1990abf9128c

Not a negative comment amongst them. In fact, just about all the comments recieved are the best for any of my caches.

Now if your an aussie, who is contemplating doing this cache, forget everything you have read above.

But that means you have to physically search through all the containers to find out I didn't sign the log, but logged online anyway.....muhhahahahaha! :)

J/K I don't even know what cache you're talking aobut...

--MGb

Heres the link to the cache I mention above.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...88-1990abf9128c

Not a negative comment amongst them. In fact, just about all the comments recieved are the best for any of my caches.

Now if your an aussie, who is contemplating doing this cache, forget everything you have read above.

My brother in law actually had two caches like that before he quit and archived them. One was a very large bottle and you could only get one at a time out. The othere was a huge pipe and it had a reaching tool that would only grab one film can at a time.

I don't recall anyone being upset about either one. They were quite well received.