Benchmark ID?

PRINC3SS

Yesterday I saw a Benchmark a few feet away from another benchmark (LW5817) across from Nobska Light, but can't seem to find it listed in the benchmarks. Unfortunately I forgot my camera, so I can't post a picture, but it was dated 1995 & had 7955A inscribed on it.

Anyone else know anything about it?

Did you notice what agency set the mark? That is, what entity's name was incised around the outer edge of the disk? It could be among the thousands of US Geological Survey disks that aren't in the NGS database. However, there are some features of the stamping that make us think this could be a tidal bench mark set by the National Ocean Service/NOAA. The stamping you provide seems not to appear among the tidal bench marks listed for Woods Hole. Those seem mostly to be on the laboratory grounds. Tidal Bench Marks have their own database, though several of them also have NGS PIDs.

See http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov.

Cheers,

There are many NOS marks that seemly have no infomation available. We ran into some of those up here on Lake Superior. Part of the reason I beleive is that they are not tied into good control and were used for some project work that is still ongoing even though is had been 20 yrs since the mark was set.

So don't be alarmed if you can find no data.