"Famous" Cache Spots

Frumious Jane

So I was channel surfing tonight and came across the Hallmark Channel. A flick I'd never seen or heard of, starring Steve Gutenberg, called, "Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus". The part I clicked to showed the hotel lobby where I stayed (which I recognized with a jolt), on my recent trip to Simi Valley, and then some playground equipment that is dark blue in the area of the Veterans' Plaza cache, GCG6QR, which I did while I was there. My short and cute traveling companion and I played on that equipment after we found the cache. Kinda cool, and it made me wonder, has anyone else been caching and then recognized that area later by seeing it in a non-caching context on TV (or a movie)?

Because of its rugged beauty many movies and commercials are shot in the Eastern Sierra. Those familiar with the area will pick the landmarks out time and again.

Many of the scenes for Star Trek: Insurrection were shot in an around Mammoth Lakes and the surrounding area. The scene where they are fleeing the flying robot beamers was shot on the ridge leading to THIS cache. Mt. Ritter, Mt. Banner, and The Minarets (pictured) can be seen clearly in the distance.

3918340a-d43b-406a-ad03-d679947d7241.jpg

The cloaked holoship was set at Convict Lake just a few miles away.

Mono Lake was where they built the set for the town of Hell for the Clint Eastwood movie, High Plains Drifter. There are quite a few caches in that area.

This cache is on an old movie set. Many folks will recognize this fissure from the movie, Troop Beverly Hills.

7c1595eb-42ce-4216-ad4b-d749d11a3f95.jpg

There are many caches around Lake Mary, in Mammoth, (There's Something About Mary)where most of the movie, Cry of the White Wolf: White Wolves III, was shot. I always crack up when the stars are starving to death alone in the wilderness in a scene shot less than 300 feet from the Lake Mary Store and 20 feet from the road. ;)

There is a series of caches in Kentucky called "Hollywood in the Heartland" that features places that have appeared in films. There are 2 from the Bill Murray movie "Stripes", 1 from the Orlando Bloom movie "Elizabethtown", 1 from the James Bond movie "Goldfinger" and 1 from the Al Pacino/Russel Crowe movie "The Insider". Additionally, if you go to the page for "The Insider" called "Hollywood in the Heartland (Meeting)" and look at sample scene number 1 from the movie, you'll see a bridge in the background, behind Pacino and Crowe. That is the bridge from the movie "Stripes" where Bill Murray stops his taxi, gets out, and throws his keys off the bridge while supposedly taking his fare to the airport. (The airport is in the opposite direction from the way he was going.) This bridge has pedestrian walkways on both sides and there is a cache on the bridge. The location of the cache is visible in the screen cap.

This is a Neos 1 post. I forgot which account was logged on.

Edited by Neos2

Fried Green Geocache is just a couple blocks from my home.

Featured in the book Fried Green Tomatoes at the WhistleStop Cafe by Fannie Flagg and then in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, I regularly eat at the Irondale Whistle Stop Cafe.

A number of movies have been filmed at least in part around here - great idea for a series! :o

This could be the basis for a huge viral caching series - movie sites around the world!

Make the first word of the cache name the same for all of them... 'FilmSite - Fried Green Geocache' for example, and interested geocachers could sort a PQ of their search area for caches that begin with that word.

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Featured in the book Fried Green Tomatoes at the WhistleStop Cafe by Fannie Flagg and then in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, I regularly eat at the Irondale Whistle Stop Cafe.

A number of movies have been filmed at least in part around here - great idea for a series! :o

This could be the basis for a huge viral caching series - movie sites around the world!

Make the first word of the cache name the same for all of them... 'FilmSite - Fried Green Geocache' for example, and interested geocachers could sort a PQ of their search area for caches that begin with that word.

Ed

We live by the Whistle Stop Cafe in Georgia where the movie was filmed. We have even eaten there a time or 2. But I did not have the fried green tomatoes...YUCK! But there is no caches nearby.....hum maybe it needs one!

Ed

We live by the Whistle Stop Cafe in Georgia where the movie was filmed. We have even eaten there a time or 2. But I did not have the fried green tomatoes...YUCK! But there is no caches nearby.....hum maybe it needs one!

Well see, there ya go! Interesting how geocaching teaches us interesting stuff!

The Irondale Whistle Stop Cafe is the only one I knew of that was connected to the movie! I wonder if the one near you is related.

I love how this game brings folks to small degrees of separation - I know Parents of Sam and have traded geocoins with them!

I hope you will place a cache there, I would come hunt it for sure!

Ed

A number of movies have been filmed at least in part around here - great idea for a series! :laughing:

Ed

Well see, there ya go! Interesting how geocaching teaches us interesting stuff!

The Irondale Whistle Stop Cafe is the only one I knew of that was connected to the movie! I wonder if the one near you is related.

You guys may also be interested in this one in Senoia, Ga. First stage is the location for scenes from FGT and Pet Cemetary.

BTW, POS - fried green tomatos are delicious!

Edited by Phillips4

BTW, POS - fried green tomatos are delicious!

Interestingly I can't stand the ones from the WhistleStop!

TheAlabamaRambler's Geo'Mater Recipe:

Take several very green (no pink) tomatoes

Slice them thick - 1/4" or better

Pour a cup or two (depending on quantity of tomatoes to be cooked) of corn meal (plain white) into a gallon ziploc bag

Pour in salt... a lot! Shake it around to mix. Taste the corn meal / salt mix... if the mix tastes good'n salty you're good to go!

Put the tomatoes slices in the bag, seal it and shake till both sides of each slice are coated.

Pan fry or deep fry in HOT vegetable oil - no less than 350° or they'll just soak up oil. (Yuck! Look for the oil's 'smoke point' and cook just below that! It should be on the label).

Turn, if pan frying, when the bottom is golden - do not overcook - only takes a minute or less.

If deep frying, remove when light brown or when tomato starts to float - do not overcook!

Place on towel or folded napkins to drain.

Best eaten hot but I like them cold too.

I often take my propane turkey fryer to geocaching events and make these by the dozen - cachers love them!

Ed

A number of movies have been filmed at least in part around here - great idea for a series! :laughing:

Ed

My wife and I did the cache in Alabama (that TAR linked to) a couple of years ago on a drive from Atlanta to Dallas. We were surprised at how little the cafe looked like the one in the film until we found out that it wasn't the one in the film, it was the "real" one that was the basis for a book.

We'd like to come visit the film location cafe someday.