An inside cache?

scr0k

If i wanted to, could I place a geocache ( a magnetic key holder) in a Wal-mart or someplace like that? I'm pretty sure nobody muggle would find it if I put it in the back corner or something, but I don't know the rules on placing caches inside...if that is illegal, will someone explain to me why?

much thanks,

Scr0k

If i wanted to, could I place a geocache ( a magnetic key holder) in a Wal-mart or someplace like that? I'm pretty sure nobody muggle would find it if I put it in the back corner or something, but I don't know the rules on placing caches inside...if that is illegal, will someone explain to me why?

much thanks,

Scr0k

I don't see anything wrong with placing caches indoors. Since GPSrs have trouble indoors you most likely would need to utilize a letterbox hybrid or mystery type with the initial waypoint being outside and the final being inside. Traditionals could be used if the final location is so obvious. I have seen a traditional cache hidden in a restaurant (you have to ask the lady behind the counter). I have seen a mystery cache that lead to a cache which was hidden in a fake book hidden in a county library. Check out Book Worm (GCKJZA) If at all possible, please avoid the Walmart hide. Cameras watch every inch of those stores, plus the structures (shelving) are constantly being re-arrainged. Look for clever placings.

Edited by supertbone

my dads first cache was at a skyscraper in downtown new orleans and the cache container was inside first step was to go to the lobby then ask for the geocacher then the geocacher (part of the maintanence crew) would take you up to the utility room to the cache. then he would give you an exclusive sneek peek at the top of the skyscraper on the roof. wut an awesome cache. see an inside cache is ok but u need permission. i mean imagine you work at wal mart and are viewing security take you see this guy taking somthing out of his pocket and sliding it behind a shelf or somthing they might think its a bomb or somthing. but i have been thinking of going evil in the skyways of minneapolis muhahaha

Taking someone inside a business to find a cache is something I'd consider a commercial cache -- whether intentional or unintentional, potential customers are solicited to go into a place of business.

Finding a cache ought to involve using a GPS. How does one use a GPS inside a Wal-Mart?

If you want to place a cache inside a business, the reviewer will ask you to write to Groundspeak for permission. If it's WalMart, I imagine the answer would be "no." If it's Joe's neighborhood coffee and donut shop, you might get a "yes."

I recently did a cache that was inside (GCYTER). But it was a public building (fire station) as to not violate the commercial rule. The chords took you to the front door and all you have to search for is someone at the front desk to give you a full service caching experience. I enjoyed it for its uniqueness, but definately wouldn't want to be doing a lot of indoor caches just like it.

The first indoors cache I had been to was in a huge 2 story library, I had been out caching in the heat last fall and the air conditioning was very much welcomed, I also got to brush up on my dewey decimal system skills. ;) I really liked the cache as it has been there for a loooong time and had many many pages to read, also had a lot of entries from non-cachers that stumbled across the logbook. Very cool indeed. :)

I have seen a number of inside caches... In a book in a library, in the Guest Register for a museum, in a hotel lobby in a book on a mantle above the fireplace, etc. I have even seen some where you have to ask the clerk for the cache.

The common theme is that you do not even inadvertently promote the business - keep the description focused on the cache, and no money must exchange hands to access the cache.

This is one of those nebulous areas where different Reviewers handle it differently - as some have alluded they don't allow such caches at places that even own a cash register, lest the cacher feel obligated to do some sort of transaction, others do, so long as it's not commercial (enticing the cacher to do business).

Depending on the Reviewer you may get "existing caches do not set a precedent" thrown at you, as interpretation of the Guidelines changes over time.

Good luck!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Why would you want to go look for a cache in a Wal-mart :laughing:

Exactly. Hey! You could make it a multi. Hide a container in the parking lot, with instructions to find the inside part.

The only ones I've done inside were libraries. I have found one, and owned another, where you had to go inside a building to reach an outside area -- one was a courtyard within the building, and mine was on the roof of a tower (both were university buildings).

ETA: I forgot about a virtual that was inside.

Edited by Dinoprophet

We have a multi near here that the first two parts require a little library research. The co-ords take you to the proper location, but you still need to go inside to get the required info to figure the next waypoint. It was a very fun cache, but also aggravating because I first forgot the libraries would be closed Labor Day, and you could only go during business hours. Then it took several trys before I got everything researched with interruptions from work. Wife and I finally got it after about two months of trying, went by one day after church.

In this area I have seen caches inside barber shops, wineries, coffee shops, colleges, tourist information booths and small stores. In all cases the owners know about it and in all of those cases you may ask for the cache instead of looking. I do hunt for them if they are in my area. I would rather have a "REAL" hunt for the cache outdoors. These indoor caches have limited access because of business hours. Nobody will be able to grab any of them tomorrow (Christmas).

somthing to do while your parents shop ya you had to here it from me like your kids really want to be there after thier 100th time.

And finding the walmart cache would be how much fun after the hundredth time? :D

u probubly wouldnt understand for instace i have one at a carabou coffe near a wal mart i just walk over everyso often read up on who found it trade out the bad items see how you can make it better. you know ive been thinking about i mean most caches are either placed in the woods or in the city but not to many have taken them inside. i can see how it could be viewed as a bomb. but i would love to see a wal mart cache near me.

much thanks,

Scr0k

Well Sam Walton is passed and I'm not sure who to direct you to ask permission to do this but I suggest you start at the top. When you find whoever it is please be sure and tell them that there's already illegal caches in about every Walmart parking lot. That should go over well.

In answer to your question, if you have permission, you can put a cache inside a building. I'd just encourage you to place it someplace that the finder would enjoy being sent to, not sure Walmart falls into that category.

much thanks,

Scr0k

A cache inside is a unique challenge but certainly something that is done though uncommonly. There are library caches, musuem caches, and even mall courtyard caches.

There are two things that strike me as key.

First, the commercial angle. The courtyard cache doesn't really promote any one business, while the library and musuem caches are typically government or non profit. When in doubt ask.

The next thing is that this site has chosen to make it so that a GPS is an integral part of the cache hunt. It may take some creativity to ensure that the cache meets this requirement.

There is no rule about inside over outside. Just other rules that are harder to accomodate with an indoor cache.

Edited by Renegade Knight

If it is cleverly placed and it is not on a Wal-Mart shelf....then I see absoultely no problem with indoor caches. I have been to the mantle over the fireplace cache that AlabamaRambler described, and it was a good one. The others that I have been to are the fake books, and over the counter caches (One in Nashville that I found....look at my profile picture)

Please don't do one in Wal-Mart....I wanna take a break from a place like that! Especially in a time like now when shopping places are HAVOC!

I don't see a problem as long as you make it a puzzle cache and make DAMMM sure you have permission to place it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fd-c8b0a93a6b9c

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e1-e966a373c09d

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a4-aa8ca4215d40

my favorite log photo in the mall of america cache (it's not in this store)

dd9efda8-ae3b-4241-8d7a-9c0892bdef96.jpg

my dads first cache was at a skyscraper in downtown new orleans and the cache container was inside first step was to go to the lobby then ask for the geocacher then the geocacher (part of the maintanence crew) would take you up to the utility room to the cache. then he would give you an exclusive sneek peek at the top of the skyscraper on the roof. wut an awesome cache. see an inside cache is ok but u need permission. i mean imagine you work at wal mart and are viewing security take you see this guy taking somthing out of his pocket and sliding it behind a shelf or somthing they might think its a bomb or somthing. but i have been thinking of going evil in the skyways of minneapolis muhahaha

Hey Flag,

I was going to post about your dad's Cache, View Carre that you talk about here. It is a very popular cache among those in Louisiana and those visiting New Orleans. I work in the building where the cache is but took a year to realize it. You dad is a legend among local cachers and a real great guy.

DD

View Carre is one that's always on the recommended list for New Orleans visitors.

I liked Bonnie and Clyde, in Atlanta, the first stage was on the front glass wall of the police substation inside the CNN building.

The cops had a ball watching folks hunt it - it was evil, well hidden, and most cachers ended up inside the station's lobby scouring wanted posters and police bulletins looking for a clue!

I went there three times with different folks and the cops were always glad to meet us.

Ed

Hey Flag,

I was going to post about your dad's Cache, View Carre that you talk about here. It is a very popular cache among those in Louisiana and those visiting New Orleans. I work in the building where the cache is but took a year to realize it. You dad is a legend among local cachers and a real great guy.

DD

no this was my dads first find, not hide hes not a legend im pretty shure

much thanks,

Scr0k

I don't see anything wrong with placing caches indoors. Since GPSrs have trouble indoors you most likely would need to utilize a letterbox hybrid or mystery type with the initial waypoint being outside and the final being inside. Traditionals could be used if the final location is so obvious. I have seen a traditional cache hidden in a restaurant (you have to ask the lady behind the counter). I have seen a mystery cache that lead to a cache which was hidden in a fake book hidden in a county library. Check out Book Worm (GCKJZA) If at all possible, please avoid the Walmart hide. Cameras watch every inch of those stores, plus the structures (shelving) are constantly being re-arrainged. Look for clever placings.

SO how come my book cache was veoted for being indoors? The librarians love itand stopped it etting checked outone day :laughing:

Hey Flag,

DD

no this was my dads first find, not hide hes not a legend im pretty shure

Oops read it too quick, didn't think Bam had a kid in college in MN but wasn't sure.

Still highly recomend this Cache to anyone coming to town.

DD

DD

Edited by darkdoug

.... SO how come my book cache was veoted for being indoors? The librarians love itand stopped it etting checked outone day :laughing:

Luck of the draw, my friend! The guidelines are intentionally fuzzy, leaving them in large part to individual Reviewer interpretation. Any two given Reviewers will often decide something differently.

Wording of a cache description often makes the difference... you're relationship with your Reviewer makes even more! As you hide enough caches for them to get to know you they'll usually ease up on holding your feet to the fire.

Remember that existing caches do not set a precedent... they love that one, so argue your cache's merit, not that it's been done before.

If you see something being done commonly and yours is denied and you think your case is just, ask your Reviewer to take it to Peer Review in the Reviewer's forum.

If your idea and its implementation are good they'll work with you to get it listed.

SO how come my book cache was veoted for being indoors? The librarians love itand stopped it etting checked outone day :laughing:

The is a good question to ask the person who denied the listing. I know that some have been denied because they did not require the use of a GPSr. For instance, I submit a cache papge for a cache named 'Winter Park Library'. In the description, I state that the cache is between 'The Maltese Falcon' and 'The Maltese Goddess'. My cache would have little chance of being approved.

However, I have a really good chance of approval if the cache is named 'The Maltese Geocache' and the description states to 1) find the statues at the given coordinates. 2) Walk in the direction of the seated statues stare for forty paces. 3) Turn left and walk six paces. 4) Find the cache.