Caching walking mileage

HockeyPuck

I was walking to a cache this morning and had a brainstorm about the total distance I've walked for all the caches I found. I wondered if there was a way to calculate the total distance..

I estimate that my average hiking distance was .5 miles round trip per cache.. Some were shorter some were longer but .5 miles sounds like a nice round number..

Multiply .5 miles * the total caches found and you've got an estimated total miles walked. 302 miles.. impressive..

I would have no idea.....

I've done about 200 or so micros that are generally very short walks, and MANY long hikes (10+ miles) just for a single cache or two, then the remaining finds (~600) are anywhere in between. No way for me to even venture a safe guess on what the average would be.

A majority of the ones I've found are fairly short hikes with the exception of one smile that I racked up about a good 20 miles of the shoe leather express. It took many visits before I was complete.

To lay a guess I would have no idea as to total miles - I enjoy walking, just start going and see where your feet take you.

I was walking to a cache this morning and had a brainstorm about the total distance I've walked for all the caches I found. I wondered if there was a way to calculate the total distance..

I estimate that my average hiking distance was .5 miles round trip per cache.. Some were shorter some were longer but .5 miles sounds like a nice round number..

Multiply .5 miles * the total caches found and you've got an estimated total miles walked. 302 miles.. impressive..

Using your formula something over 1300 miles

450 miles, but I opted to take my total number of finds and divide it by 2 instead ;)

I think that's probably high. While I've done tons of caches more than .5 miles round trip, I've probably done too many park and grabs, and that 10 foot distance would really drag it down.

Edited by ThePropers

i dont like to walk to caches so i bike instead im willing to bike to any cache within 10 miles of my house excluding caches that i have to cross a river or interstate when your in minneapolis i get a little nerve ract seeing the mississippi is where all the dead bodies end up on the news. i hope im not tommorows headline.

Huh... I never thought about counting miles. Sometimes it takes a couple hours to do 6 miles, other times it's 4 hours to do a couple of miles. The really cool thing is I can count most of those miles in the presence of good friends after the same goal. So I guess what it comes down to, just as the numbers of finds don't mean much to me, neither will the number of miles or amount of time to accomplish the same. It's the number of shared adventures that we can talk about afterwards.

df9e420f-b0a2-4be5-9689-2f5eca7f73c2.jpg

I think you should factor in the cache terrain, which you can get from this site. Most 1s and 1.5 caches don't require hardly any walking. So if I discard all my cache finds with a terrain less than 2 and multiply that number by one mile per cache, I have walked about 830 miles in four years. I used a mile because most of the time I bag several higher terrain caches on the same hike. A mile might be a little conservative but 200 miles a year isn't too bad for a once a week cacher! :D