Moving out of state

Swagger

I'm going to be moving out of state next month, and I'm not sure what the best option for my caches is. There are two which I'm currently unable to get to, since the road to get to them is washed out (mountain bikers visit them once in a while, though), so retrieving those two isn't an option. I could pick up the rest if necessary, though.

Is there an adoption process in place? Should I post something about it on the cache pages?

TIA,

S-

You can adopt caches to another person using the adoption page. I suggest posting in local forums to find people to adopt them.

When I moved, I adopted one of mine out and have my Mother and a friend maintaining the others. Some I plan to archive if they go missing. Others will stay maintained (e.g. Mom has already put a new log into one).

Edited by carleenp

Just my own thoughts......I would remove and archive every cache that might be considered lame, boring, etc to open the area up to other cachers. And since thats most of my caches, problem solved!

OK, for caches I think are good enough to stay, I would find folks near them to either maintain them for me or adopt them out .

Just my own thoughts......I would remove and archive every cache that might be considered lame, boring, etc to open the area up to other cachers. And since thats most of my caches, problem solved!

OK, for caches I think are good enough to stay, I would find folks near them to either maintain them for me or adopt them out .

YOU might think they're lame, but others may think otherwise!

Put them ALL up for adoption.

I would archive them all and remove them all. If you placed them then you should remove them, no matter what condition the road is in. When you placed them you took on the responsibility that comes with owning a cache. If you leave the cache with no one to maintain it then it is just trash. Please don't leave geotrash out there. A lot of people have spent a lot of time working with land managers to get them to open up their land to caching. Land managers are assured that cachers are responsible people and we do not leave caches out there to become trash. It would only take a few examples of caches found abandoned for many land managers to have the examples that caches just turn to trash then the land mangers would ban caching for everyone.

If you were able to to place it in it's location then you can find a way to remove it.

If mountain bikes can get to the cache then it sounds like you need ride a mountain bike, if that is not an option then you need to walk. If you can't walk it then you need to find a friend or cacher with a four wheel drive or contact one of the people that found it via mountain bikes and ask if they can retrieve it for you. Therefore retrieving it is and option and it is your responsibility to figure out all the options until you find the one that works.

If the locations are worthy of a cache then after your's are gone others can place new caches for all the locals to find.

GEO.JOE

If the caches are already there, are being enjoyed, and someone wants to adopt them, that would be the way to go.

I cannot understand why someone would suggest you archive an existing cache, if you could find someone to adopt it. As long as it is still active and being enjoyed it is not geolitter.

I cannot understand why someone would suggest you archive an existing cache, if you could find someone to adopt it. As long as it is still active and being enjoyed it is not geolitter.

Maybe I should be more specific. My reaction was to the following statement:

There are two which I'm currently unable to get to, since the road to get to them is washed out (mountain bikers visit them once in a while, though), so retrieving those two isn't an option.

My main point being is that the caches are the OP's responsibility and when he placed them he took on the responsibility for the cache containers. Saying that retrieving them is not an option, is very frustrating to me. They are not geolitter yet but if no one wants to adopt them they will be when the OP leaves. I am currently in the process of retrieving archived caches that have been abandoned in my area. I have assured local Land managers that geocachers are responsible folks and the caches will not become trash just left out in the woods. Therefore, I am a bit biased because I have taken over the responsibility of defunct cache owners?

As for my stance on the caches should be archived. I don't believe most caches should live forever. After 3 years the vast majority of the locals that are going to find the caches have found the caches. If his caches are archived then it opens up a 2/10 by 2/10 mile area for a new cache that the locals can hunt. If the locations are worthy of a cache someone will place a new cache, a different cache for everyone to find.

As for the caches of this topic:

The Banana Cache It appears to be gone but I do not see an owner maintenance note confirming it is still there. It has not been found in 2 years and the last person to check on it was in May 2006. The owner should check on it and confirm it's condition. If it is still there then he has the decision to make. He can remove it or find another cacher to adopt it.

Pacific Crest Cache at Mt. Pacifico Looks to be a great place to visit. Unfortunately it has not been visited for a year and 3 months and it has had two Travel Bugs trapped up there since September of 05. I would say if the owner can not check on this cache or Roundtop Cache Contact Mountain Lovers they have shown a lot of interest in updating the condition of the road and promoting others to come visit the caches. If Mountain Lovers do not want the caches then find someone else that owns caches in the area or cache often in the area. If no one is interested in adopting the caches then the owner should go retrieve them so that they do not become Geolitter.

Edited by GEO.JOE

Is there a way you can lookup for abandoned caches or caches in your area that are up for adoption before I put out one of my own?

The problem is, it is very difficult to define 'abandoned'. Just because a cache is no longer active at GC.com, does not mean that the owner has abandoned it.

The problem is, it is very difficult to define 'abandoned'. Just because a cache is no longer active at GC.com, does not mean that the owner has abandoned it.

Good point. Never thought of it that way. So, there is no page where I can put in...lets say my zip code or my home coordinates and it brings up a list of caches that people are putting up for adoption?

I do know about the adoption page but correct me if I am wrong but you need to know of a specific cache.

Good point. Never thought of it that way. So, there is no page where I can put in...lets say my zip code or my home coordinates and it brings up a list of caches that people are putting up for adoption?

I do know about the adoption page but correct me if I am wrong but you need to know of a specific cache.

Many times, people will post these in the regional forums or through local clubs.

As a RELATIVELY new cacher, I would encourage that people consider archiving finds if they are moving away. I realize that many times, the cache is in good shape, and a perfect candidate for adotion, but I also know that, at least in cache-rich areas, it can be very difficult for new cachers to "lay claim" to a chunk of land, because there are already so many caches. Remember that finding caches is not the ONLY allure of the game. Some people really enjoy developing new hides, which can be really difficult if every block of public land is deep in caches already. To me, archiving a cache simply allows someone else the chance to farm the land. It also gives the "locals" a chance to find a new cache without driving 30+ miles.

Now, that being said, if you have a really stellar cache that everyone LOVES, I would say adopt away. But in general, I prefer to see archived caches than seeing the same 1/1 caches exisitng forever in a location that would be a great site for a 3/4 cache. Just my opinion.

I came to this discussion because I have a cache that I want to adopt. and the owner, who has moved 1500 miles away is happy that I am going to adopt this cache.

I tried the adoption page, but was denied because I was not asked to adopt.

How does the cache owner allow me to adopt the cache?

Thanks