Timelock cache

swhite7000

For geocaching to continue and progress as a sport/hobby I believe that more variety needs to be added therefore new types of cache. Recently we saw the creation of Mega Event cache simply an event which has 500 or more cachers attending. I have thought of a new virtual cache in which two sets of clues would need to be given, firstly the basic clues regarding the location of the cache and then clues which gave the dates of the year that the cache would definately be in the location. Therefore the cache would be avaliable twelve times a year, just once a month. I think that this could create new excitement surrounding a caching trip and would be an ideal new type of cache listing. The owner of the cache would have to agree with Groundspeak/Geocaching.com that they are infact removing the cache from its location when necessary and must make sure that the twelve dates listed through the clues are times of the year in which themselves or a close cacher (for example geocaching friend or relative) can place the cache. Any constructive points of view on the matter would be appreciated, if the feedback is good I may suggest the idea to the website.

9a0841ea-aa54-4364-955e-b4f21d664d35.jpg

Nothing new about the type of cache, it's just one with stringent Additional Logging Requirements.

Read up here on ALRs and you may find they are not much cared for by many.

I don't think caches with limited availability are a good thing.

Ed

How so? What needs to be done to this one other than signing the log book?

The thing he's suggesting is that the cache and log book would be removed most of the time, and only available once a month (for whatever reason).

I'm not seeing the ALR angle here.

This would be a mystery/unknown cache. A traditional cache should be findable by going to the posted coordinates.

If I've got to time my arrival on a particular day, one that may not be convenient to me due to child custody schedule, work schedule, church schedule, etc., it better darn well be a WOW location.

Query whether a timelock cache meets the "Cache Permanence" section of the listing guidelines.

How so? What needs to be done to this one other than signing the log book?

The thing he's suggesting is that the cache and log book would be removed most of the time, and only available once a month (for whatever reason).

I'm not seeing the ALR angle here.

OK, I didn't get that he would remove the cache, thought "only be available" meant you could log it only on those dates.

As far a placing a cache for a day and removing it 12 times a year? Nope, don't think that's gonna fly!

For geocaching to continue and progress as a sport/hobby I believe that more variety needs to be added therefore new types of cache. Recently we saw the creation of Mega Event cache simply an event which has 500 or more cachers attending. I have thought of a new virtual cache in which two sets of clues would need to be given, firstly the basic clues regarding the location of the cache and then clues which gave the dates of the year that the cache would definately be in the location. Therefore the cache would be avaliable twelve times a year, just once a month. I think that this could create new excitement surrounding a caching trip and would be an ideal new type of cache listing. The owner of the cache would have to agree with Groundspeak/Geocaching.com that they are infact removing the cache from its location when necessary and must make sure that the twelve dates listed through the clues are times of the year in which themselves or a close cacher (for example geocaching friend or relative) can place the cache. Any constructive points of view on the matter would be appreciated, if the feedback is good I may suggest the idea to the website.

9a0841ea-aa54-4364-955e-b4f21d664d35.jpg

I've only got a few caches logged under my belt, but it seems that this specific type would have some definite disadvantages. The first being that once a month not only would the geocache owner have to place it, but then they'd have to retrieve it. By my count that's 12 placings and 12 removals a year. The second thing would be either an overabundance of cachers searching for an item in a particular location on a particular day, or no one showing at all because they either don't want to go through the trouble of clearing their calendar to set aside a specific day, or they may believe that they have to compete with dozens of other cachers. Then there's the whole issue of having to wait out the other cacher/muggle to leave. Sigh. That's just my opinion. There might be some people that like the idea. I commend you on wanting to add something to the game. But ideas can always be improved on.

Nerissa

Don't think it would work as proposed for same reasons as others posted.

But I have thought of a similar concept based in part upon Indiana Jones' staff and jewel thingy that required being in a certain place at a certain time to align a light beam on the target.

Possibly the puzzle could refer to a certain time each day or possibly an event at a certain time that would give the clue to the location. The cache would remain in place at all times and therefore not have any known conflicts with current guidelines. The clue however could only be gotten at a specific time and perhaps at a specific place.

EG

At 14:00 local time stand at LAT/LON and observe the prominent shadow. How many benches are within the shadow? This is A

At 14:30 local time stand at LAT/LON and observe XYZ

Typical "fill in the blanks" puzzle cache from there.

The whole point of timelock caching would be the fact that cachers would be looking forward to finding that particular cache. Instead of a normal cache that remains all the time and is normally just another number on someone's profile it could be something that is planned for a long time. However i do realise that many geocachers wouldn't want to bother waiting for a cache so there should be a tougher rule about how many timelock caches can be located in one area. E.g one cache every 2miles rather than a cache every 0.1 miles. Regarding the point that was made about a large influx of cachers trying to locate the timelock at one period of time has got to be a good thing, a perfect oppurtunity to meet up with local cachers without the environment of a typical event cache.

But ideas can always be improved on.

Nerissa

I agree with most of the things being said as you put some people may like this type of cache, how do think it should be improved then?

Well, I've only been pondering for a few minutes, but here's one idea. Establish and maintain a regular cache. Post a note with the cache that on a specific date (or perhaps certain event... like every full moon or at every equinox/solstice) that you will provide an additional clue within the cache that will lead them to a bonus find. You could vary the details in such ways as, say for instance for this "event" that you've stashed a lockbox at a specific set of coordinates somewhere. You could divy out 5 keys, placed within the regular cache. You only place these keys the eve before the date/occurence. Then the first 5 people to find it then get a key/coordinate to the bonus round and might have a nice little prize waiting for them. Just one idea. I'm sure there will be plenty more. This alleviates you to maintain a regular cache but lets you add special events to it. If that makes sense.

Nerissa

Well, I've only been pondering for a few minutes, but here's one idea. Establish and maintain a regular cache. Post a note with the cache that on a specific date (or perhaps certain event... like every full moon or at every equinox/solstice) that you will provide an additional clue within the cache that will lead them to a bonus find. You could vary the details in such ways as, say for instance for this "event" that you've stashed a lockbox at a specific set of coordinates somewhere. You could divy out 5 keys, placed within the regular cache. You only place these keys the eve before the date/occurence. Then the first 5 people to find it then get a key/coordinate to the bonus round and might have a nice little prize waiting for them. Just one idea. I'm sure there will be plenty more. This alleviates you to maintain a regular cache but lets you add special events to it. If that makes sense.

Nerissa

That's a really good idea, when added to a regular cache and if there was something in it for the 5 or how ever many lucky cachers it makes this Timelock caching idea sound a lot more promising.

This alleviates you to maintain a regular cache but lets you add special events to it. If that makes sense.

Nerissa

That's a really good idea, when added to a regular cache and if there was something in it for the 5 or how ever many lucky cachers it makes this Timelock caching idea sound a lot more promising.

I had meant to say "this allows you to maintain a regular cache but lets you add special events to it" but my mind had been working on "alleviating the need to continously add and remove a cache". I guess my words spilled over. :huh: Anyhoo, I suppose I'm doing okay for just being a tadpole still. :(

Neri

Well see, there IS value to debate!

Pnerissa is spot on - make it a regular cache and at intervals published or not place something special in it.

Solves everthing! :huh:

I might adopt that idea to some of mine!

In fact I am placing a cache today that I will do that on... hide it close to home and put something special in it on random days each month.

The special item will be in the cache for just that day, but cachers won't know what day it's in there!

The cache will be available to all at all times, but some folks will get lucky.

Ed

ok we seem to be getting somewhere here now how about this timelock attribute then?

-timelock attribute

When a timelock attribute is added to a cache it indicates to cachers that the cache they are searching for contains information about a bonus find nearby. This bonus find is only avaliable at certain dates and cachers find out when it is avaliable through the clues/hints/info that is placed in the cache they were originally searching for. The bonus timelock find should contain something special such as geocoins for the lucky few who work out the clues and find the cache location on the correct date.

Edited by swhite7000

Personally, I'm not in favor of this type of cache because I can't see any additional value for the restriction in time. If I climb a hill for a cache, I get a good view and some exercise. If I go at only a certain time - what is special about that. If, as some have said, you tie it with an event, or something special that occurs at only that time, that would add extra value.

That being said, we had a great time at a cache that was restricted to certain times (GC36EE). This is a beautiful lighthouse available only during low tide. Theoretically it was available every day, just at certain times. We were very fortunate that low tide occured during our 1-2 hours that we could spend there before we continued our travels. Others were not so lucky and missed a fun cache just because of their timing.

-timelock attribute

When a timelock attribute is added to a cache it indicates to cachers that the cache they are searching for contains information about a bonus find nearby. This bonus find is only avaliable at certain dates and cachers find out when it is avaliable through the clues/hints/info that is placed in the cache they were originally searching for. The bonus timelock find should contain something special such as geocoins for the lucky few who work out the clues and find the cache location on the correct date.

I agree that over time a lot more cache types will be both invented and maybe even needed. This is one that I had not thought of.

With a tweak or two it's certainly viable, even in more than one variation.

I hope to place the first Timelock cache soon and hopefully it will go from there, it might be an idea to post any timelock caches that you've hidden on this thread until a timelock attribute is made avaliable.

Caches that require specfic timing have been discussed for a while. One cacher I spoke with had the idea of a cache at the end of a railroad crossing arm. That was completely unworkable for obvious reasons, but I've often tried to think of some similar way to make a cache available only at certain times.

I don't like the idea of removing the cache regularly, but I'm interested to see what other ideas come out of this.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Not interested. I don't want to have caches only available certain days of the month.

It seems to me that the biggest argument you have for this is that it creates something to look forward to.

Why not just pick either a really great spot or some really clever hide? Around here, when a cache like that gets put out, it creates it's own buzz.

Instead of trying to invent something new, how about going back to the basics and putting caches in REALLY good spots? ;)

Regarding the point that was made about a large influx of cachers trying to locate the timelock at one period of time has got to be a good thing, a perfect oppurtunity to meet up with local cachers without the environment of a typical event cache.

That would depend upon the ability of the cache environment to sustain a large influx of visitors without causing damage to the flora and fauna of the cache site. In an urban the impact would probably be small and I would agree the resulting "meet and greet" would be good. But in the case of a wilderness cache, we need to remember that we are visitors and we should respect the integrity of the homes of the permanent residents.

Nerissa

Excellent proposal. But does this really need a special category or a special icon? Isn't the possibility of finding something special part of the overall allure of caching in general? (I know it seldom happens)

This idea would definitely spark new interest in otherwise "basic" caches, but it can already be easily done simply by posting a note on the cache page (or NOT if you want it to really be a surprise).

If I go at only a certain time - what is special about that.

Well, it COULD be that the "something special" that the cache is meant to lead you to is something that only occurs at a certain time, perhaps like a rainbow hovering over a waterfall under a full moon.

My cache does not LIMIT finders to the nights of full moons, but if they manage to get there during that time, they may well get a special treat.

I think this is what the discussion ids all about. Some things are much cooler at certain times.

Not interested. I don't want to have caches only available certain days of the month.

An interesting idea: "PMS cache". It probably wouldn't be all that popular. ;)

(sorry i couldn't resist)

hey what if we made like sundial caches! where you would go to a certain building with like a point like a church steeple or somthing and at a certain time the tip of the steeple would point to a certain spot at a certain time showing the direction of the cache all you need to list is the distance.

What do u think?