Coordinates to my Garmin 60CSX

griller65

Hey there.

I have the 60C, it uses the same software.

Install the map software on your pc. Make sure to install the software to connect to the GPS. once that is done, RESTART

Then open the map software and plus in the GSP (turned on)

There are two ways to download the files and upload them to the GPS.

1) You can DL the individual .dpx file from the individual cache page.

2)You can create a Pocket Query through your profile and get 1 to 500 caches in a particular area IN ONE FILE.

When you go to uploading, open the GPS software (MapSource) drag the .gpx file onto the "waypoints" area. you can find this in the tab to the left of the window.

from click the "send to device" button. Its on the top menu bar (little black gps). This will sync the GPS and it will now be saved as a treasure chest on maps.

I recommend you do the Pocket Query as you can get a lot of maps uploaded in one time.

Go here to see how to do that, and read it all if you want to go paperless with the use of a Palm.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=5&t=149153

Edited by Nittanys1

Hey there.

I have the 60C, it uses the same software.

Install the map software on your pc. Make sure to install the software to connect to the GPS. once that is done, RESTART

Then open the map software and plus in the GSP (turned on)

There are two ways to download the files and upload them to the GPS.

1) You can DL the individual .dpx file from the individual cache page.

2)You can create a Pocket Query through your profile and get 1 to 500 caches in a particular area IN ONE FILE.

When you go to uploading, open the GPS software (MapSource) drag the .gpx file onto the "waypoints" area. you can find this in the tab to the left of the window.

from click the "send to device" button. Its on the top menu bar (little black gps). This will sync the GPS and it will now be saved as a treasure chest on maps.

I recommend you do the Pocket Query as you can get a lot of maps uploaded in one time.

Go here to see how to do that, and read it all if you want to go paperless with the use of a Palm.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=5&t=149153

"...Hello. I recently joined geocaching.com and upgraded to Groundspeak in order to download coordinates directly to my GPS. However, I cannot figure how to do this. Any advice..."

With your premium membership in Geocaching.com you are able to create "Pocket Queries"

At the GC home page, login and choose MY ACCOUNT (left side)

Under PREMIUM FEATURES Choose "Build Pocket Queries" (right side)

Choose CREATE A NEW QUERY. This is where you build many pocket queries to meet your needs one at a time.

As a start, lets create a query of the active, unfound caches near your home. You can then receive the results in an email as often as you like that you will use to eventually place in your GPS.

First, change the QUERY NAME from "New Query" to something meaningful such as Local20 for the caches within 20 miles of your home coords or zip code.

Choose a day or multiple days of the week to generate, for example check Mon and Fri.

Choose "Run this query every week on the days checked" for it to run EVERY Mon and Fri

Change 100 to 500 SHOW ME CACHES. 500 is max but if there are less within 20 miles or whatever distance we select later you will receive how every many there are each time.

Leave TYPE AND CONTAINER at default ANY TYPE and ANY CONTAINER for now.

Check THAT "I haven't found" and "Is Active" for now

Leave DEFAULT for TERRAIN DIFFICULTY and WITHIN

Now you choose the center point for your 20 mile circle. Make an appropriate choice for FROM ORIGIN and set the radius to 20

leave the default GPS Exchange Format (*.gpx) and leave the COMPRESS FILES INTO *.ZIP.

SUBMIT INFORMATION

VOILA you now have a new permanent Pocket Query that will email you the results on the days you selected. If you first want to test the results then temporarily leave the DAYS TO GENERATE unchecked until you can view the results and they are less than 500 for your selected area and size.

When you receive your .ZIP file attachment (its a gpx actually an xml file) it will have a numeric name. In your email right click and choose SAVE AS and change the name to the name of your query "Local20.zip" and place it in a folder in your My Documents where you will place ALL queries you receive.

I then use GSAK (www.gsak.net) software to manage and manipulate a lot of these query results (I get over 12,000 waypoints). I have PQ(Pocket Queries) for a very large area near us and a few routes we normally take around the state. GSAK has lots of cool tools, custom filters, sorts, routes that let me select 1,000 or less points to load directly into my 60cs just by connecting the USB cable and selecting TRANSFER.

This sounds like a lot of work but in order to automate things so they are a couple of quick push buttons you have to undergo a brief learning curve, build some tools that exactly meet your needs and THEN its really quick to have just the caches you need in your GPS at any time.

There are lots of methods of transferring waypoints into your GPS and I have tried most but now have settled on a series of steps that go very quickly and provide the ability to always have the caches I need and all those anywhere around them at my fingertips all the time.

After you get your first PQ attachment and have a problem, or wish to know more about GSAK or other tools that other use just post again or email us direct.

Had a similar question, so when I entered in my search info in seeking a cache I received over 9000 records when I was checking the caches to be p/u'd by GASK I could only get 1 page at a time. If I was a premium member can I choose to download more than a page at a time?

Thanks from a newbie

Had a similar question, so when I entered in my search info in seeking a cache I received over 9000 records when I was checking the caches to be p/u'd by GASK I could only get 1 page at a time. If I was a premium member can I choose to download more than a page at a time?

Thanks from a newbie

If you are a premium member you will have access to the PQ's where you set the parameters as to how many caches you want, types of caches, difficulty levels, etc.. It's a very cool tool!

El Diablo

I use GSAK to dowload the waypoints and i also have a 60C. Sorry to bring back an old thread, but, I would like to know how to get the complete hint and all info on the GPS. It seems to run out of room when I download it. I already selected the hint and everything else I wanted downloaded onto it but I can't figure out how to get all the complete hint on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Natureboy56

I use GSAK to dowload the waypoints and i also have a 60C. Sorry to bring back an old thread, but, I would like to know how to get the complete hint and all info on the GPS. It seems to run out of room when I download it. I already selected the hint and everything else I wanted downloaded onto it but I can't figure out how to get all the complete hint on it.

Natureboy56

In your GASK settings you will need to increase the characters it uses.

El Diablo

Natureboy56

El Diablo

This won't help. The root of the problem is the size limitation of the comments section in the GPSr (A major gripe with just about all brands/models when geocaching) currently this limit is about 30 characters for Geocaching waypoints in your 60C.

Natureboy56

El Diablo

This won't help. The root of the problem is the size limitation of the comments section in the GPSr (A major gripe with just about all brands/models when geocaching) currently this limit is about 30 characters for Geocaching waypoints in your 60C.

Thanks you.

That is exactly what I thought.

Natureboy56

Natureboy56

El Diablo

Thanks you.

That is exactly what I thought.

Natureboy56

I think if you load it as a POI instead of a waypoint it gives you 80 positions. One geocacher showed me how he loaded the waypoints into his unit as normal geocache waypoints, then he did it again using the POI loader with the POI having the hint.

I'm going to slide this over the the GPS Units and Software forum where others may be able to provide details about how to do this