benchmark coins

Scotsbob

Hello. I found this marker next to a micro cache I found. I tried to look it up online and I could not find any info. I was wondering if it is of any significance. It says;

U.S. Geological Survey Benchmark

TKM

Elevation

Above Sea

227 feet

It is in the town of St. Helena in Napa County California at Silverado Trail and Fawn Park Rd.

Thanks Ken

2ff44e32-97ac-4555-9b5d-3139d1f09e19.jpg

I've just bought 4 hawaiian coins showing these markers, I realize that they are not trackable as geocoins but they are all individually numbered and I would like to know a little more about them , who issued them , why etc.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Scotsbob

I'll bet Scotsbob is referring to the benchmark replicas available here: http://www.benchmarkcoins.com/ - they offer 4 replicas of BM's from Hawaii (1-USGS, 2 USC&GS [an RM & AZ], & 1 - Hawaii Territory Survey) as well as others such at the Washington Monument (...didn't ArtMan recover that one when the scaffolding was up around that one? :o ).

Scotsbob - A good primer on the purpose of these marks is available on the Benchmarking section of the geocaching.com site, if you haven't poked around there already. If I understand correctly, in the U.K. "trigpoints" are used for similar survey purposes. There are other good places to read up on US benchmarks - I'll let others provide the links (the wife has just informed me that we leaving to go shopping....lucky me ! :o

edit:

Well actually trigpionts may be more like out 'triangulation' or 'traverse' stations

Edited by Ernmark