OK, what's the hangup with the PQs?

sarhound

This is the first time since I became a PM that I've ever had problems running PQs. Day before yesterday, I ran 3 PQs for areas that I hadn't updated for a couple of months, and they all show as having been generated. I never received them. I just have put one of those queries into the queue for today, and normally, it would generate immediately. It's just hanging there right now, showing that it last generated Dec 20 at 1245. It doesn't show as generating today. The last successful PQ that I got ran on Dec 19, but it took forever for it to show up. They usually hit the inbox in minutes.

Is there a server issue going on?

There are quite a bit of confusion around pocket queries, but maybe this will help (quoted from the bottom of the build PQ page):

Due to the complexity of Pocket Queries, a dedicated machine processes them in batches throughout the day.

The order they run is based on the last time the query ran last. Priority goes to new queries first, and the others run in the order of the oldest generated. So if you have a query run once a week it will arrive on that day much faster than someone who runs the query every day. It is recommended that you stagger your queries. Or even better, create new queries only when you need them.

My understanding is that just because you add your PQ to the queue, doesn't mean you're special and your PQ automatically jumps to the top and processes before the other 500,000 that need to run that day. However, I guess if it's a new PQ it does.

So in your case, it last ran on the 20th, so it's behind every other PQ that last ran before the 20th, and yours will run after all of those. At least that's my understanding.

So if you need it right away (and I don't condone this of course) you can copy a PQ, and then schedule the new one. That way it's a new PQ and it jumps ahead of everyone else. Cheating? Probably.

As for why you're not receiving them, check your spam/junk mail folders. If you're getting it sent to a work address, make sure they're not being stripped out (for instance, I cannot receive anything with a .zip extension at work, so I can't have my PQs sent there if I want the zipped version)

Edited by ThePropers

It's starting to look like maybe the PQs were corrupted somehow. I just purged one of them, redid it (changing the radius of the search,) and resubmitted it. It hit the mailbox within seconds.

Guess I'm going to have to weed the faulty ones out one by one...

As mentioned above, that's probably because it's now a NEW pocket query, which jumps to the top of the queue above everything else. It doesn't matter WHEN you schedule it, but it matters when the last time it ran was.

Maybe you should be patient and see if the other ones show up after they go through the queue.

Edited by ThePropers

The problem being-- the PQ that I suspect as being faulty shows as having been generated on Dec 20. It never showed up in the mailbox, and now I know that it isn't a problem on Charter's end, which was a possible point of hangup. They don't have any spam filters on, and I don't have a problem with PQs coming thru as junk mail. I still think the other 2 PQs are corrupt, as well, but I'll give it a day to see if anything happens. If necessary, I'll just purge the entire PQ list and start over again, although it will be a major pain.

At least it will keep me occupied during the holidays....

The problem being-- the PQ that I suspect as being faulty shows as having been generated on Dec 20. It never showed up in the mailbox, and now I know that it isn't a problem on Charter's end, which was a possible point of hangup. They don't have any spam filters on, and I don't have a problem with PQs coming thru as junk mail. I still think the other 2 PQs are corrupt, as well, but I'll give it a day to see if anything happens. If necessary, I'll just purge the entire PQ list and start over again, although it will be a major pain.

At least it will keep me occupied during the holidays....

Hey Sarhound, do you use Charter Highspeed by any chance??

Yes, we have Charter Highspeed. I think Deputyhound said a couple of days ago that he thought the Internet connection was acting kind of funky, so the problem may be with them. I just checked to see if a PQ that I purged and resubmitted yesterday morning arrived yet; it shows as having been generated yesterday morning, but it never got here. The first attempt from yesterday did get here, however.

Guess I'll try setting up an email account elsewhere and try to get a PQ sent there to see if that works, then I'll know where the problem lies.

Yes, we have Charter Highspeed. I think Deputyhound said a couple of days ago that he thought the Internet connection was acting kind of funky, so the problem may be with them. I just checked to see if a PQ that I purged and resubmitted yesterday morning arrived yet; it shows as having been generated yesterday morning, but it never got here. The first attempt from yesterday did get here, however.

Guess I'll try setting up an email account elsewhere and try to get a PQ sent there to see if that works, then I'll know where the problem lies.

I think I've been missing some emails from GC.com myself recently, and on a different ISP... I didn't receive one new cache notification, and at least 3-4 watched or bookmarked cache notifications.