CITO in Johannesburg 2007

M@X Meerkat

Hey there everybody.

I'm busy speaking to Johannesburg City Park about organising a CITO event for April 14 2007 and am trying to get a feel for the numbers (people interested in volunteering to clean up) in order to make a stronger case and make all the necessary arrangements. Please let me know if you are interested and how many friends/family you think you could round up. This is a great opportunity to promote geocaching and help clean up the environment.

Cheers

M@X Meerkat (Alpha Male)

Excellent idea!

Count me in!

Last week we did a bit of a clean-up of the Sandspruit River in Sandown. (Near "Park and Free Innes") We managed about 10 black bags of rubbish, but there is so much work to be done there! It might not be a bad place to work? There's also a nearby park that we could picnic.

My offices are right there and I could organise for us to use the sand volleyball court for a bit of after clean-up festivities?

I could maybe also organise for our black bags to be taken away.

Just an option? Either way I'll be there!

Well done M@x! Good idea!

If I'm in South Africa I will be there.

Anyway I will sponsor a cache hamper.

I could also organise to get some good quality shirts and caps made as my wife does corporate gifts etc! Let’s work on a design for shirts and cap. I was thinking of a shirt (golf Shirt) and cap embroidered and not printed as embroidery just looks a lot better. The cap could have the CITO badge on the front with Jo’burg underneath and maybe the co-ordinates of the venue across the back of the cap

Hey there guys / gals / geocaching pets, etc.

Thanks for the support so far.

Geocacher, shirts and caps sound like a great idea. Maybe we can use the Joburg logo, as seen on joburg.co.za? I will contact them once I have received the go ahead from Johannesburg City Parks. That should get us some good coverage as well.

I will also contact Garmin SA and see if I can arrange prizes for categories like most trash collected, etc.

News Update: Looks like all the big wigs at City Parks are on holiday. But I have received confirmation that they have received my communications. Will come back with more info in the new year.

Thanks for the suggestion Larks, will see how we work it with City Parks once they get back to me.

Cheers

M@X Meerkat

Just a question.

Why does a CITO event need to involve local authorities and Garmin dealers. Can't we just organize a dirty spot on our own and clean it?

I'm with you there vespax. Just following the rules/recommendations set out by Groundspeak. And hopefully that way we can get JHb City Parks to supply goves, boots, etc.

Also it keeps them out of our hair if they agree and we can be free to arrange publicity and the likes. In doing so we can promote the sport/hobby/whatever and maybe get some more geocachers involved.

More geocachers equals more geocaches placed in the future. Well... hopefully.

As for the Garmin dealers, well that's an added bonus if they do decide to sponsor some prizes or even just show up with some extra demo GPS units for people/muggles to use. But that is their choice, the CITO will happen with or without them.

Edited by M@X Meerkat

So is this thing happening?

I see that the people of the mountain have got their act together. As much as I don't enjoy cleaning up other people’s filth it would be good to get everyone together, have breakfast and sort out a JHB park.

Can anyone think of a small park which is vagrant house free? Does anyone have contacts with park committees?

Last week we did a bit of a clean-up of the Sandspruit River in Sandown. (Near "Park and Free Innes") We managed about 10 black bags of rubbish, but there is so much work to be done there! It might not be a bad place to work? There's also a nearby park that we could picnic.

My offices are right there and I could organise for us to use the sand volleyball court for a bit of after clean-up festivities?

I could maybe also organise for our black bags to be taken away.

Just an option? Either way I'll be there!

Hi all, I can still organise this if anyone's keen?

M@x, you still driving this? I can lend a hand if you like?

Time is running out...

Sorry for the late reply. My ADSL has been down for the last two weeks. Unfortunately with studies and preparing for our wedding next year, I have had no chance to arrange anything. Larks I would really appreciate it if you could take the reigns from me for this one. Suggestion, don't bother contacting JHBCity parks. They still have not bothered to get back to me. Sorry once again to everyone.

I'm sorry guys! I don't think that i can throw these plans together in such short notice to have a super event?

And unfortunately I will only be back in JHB on the Saturday morning.

If anybody would like to organise this, I will be more than happy to help out in any way i can!