What does THIS do!?

mishyfoot

Question: Can any type of brand cable cord be used for another GPS

brand?

My experience is that they each have a custom-fitted connector (admittedly limited experience)

Ditto. Although my 60CSx just uses a standard connector (I don't know what it's called, but I use the same cord for the GPS, my PDA, and my camera).

The eTrex though has a custom connector. In fact, I still have my old one around here somewhere. I guess I should give the cord to someone who needs it, considering the yellow eTrex doesn't come with it.

Edited by ThePropers

Any cable can be used, as long as it has the right number of conductors and the correct connector. I've made a lot of custom cables, and it's not rocket science. PFranc has all sorts of Garmin connectors for sale, as well as complete cables. I tend to just buy or cannibalize cables and make my own versions. GPS manufacturers tend to use proprietary connectors, and it can be hard to find cables. I don't know of a source for Magellan connectors like pFranc is for Garmin, but then I've never tried to find any. They probably exist. GPS uses 3 conductors - Tx, Rx, and ground, and may use a fourth for power. This is, coincidentally, exactly what is in a USB cable. It's not hard to take any old USB cable, cut off the old connector to whatever, and replace it with a GPS connector.

Any cable can be used, as long as it has the right number of conductors and the correct connector. I've made a lot of custom cables, and it's not rocket science. PFranc has all sorts of Garmin connectors for sale, as well as complete cables. I tend to just buy or cannibalize cables and make my own versions. GPS manufacturers tend to use proprietary connectors, and it can be hard to find cables. I don't know of a source for Magellan connectors like pFranc is for Garmin, but then I've never tried to find any. They probably exist. GPS uses 3 conductors - Tx, Rx, and ground, and may use a fourth for power. This is, coincidentally, exactly what is in a USB cable. It's not hard to take any old USB cable, cut off the old connector to whatever, and replace it with a GPS connector.

Reply: Well, now that I know your angle, I would essentially like to

know how effectively this advice you have given works for you.

It works great for me. I've made two cables to connect my bluetooth adapter, one to my Digitraveler and one to my Legend; a short, light cable to connect my Legend to my USB adapter, using an old serial mouse cord; a cable to connect my Legend to my Palm, while charging both from a USB port in the cigarette lighter outlet; plus various cables to connect audio stuff in my truck and around the house. A little soldering skill, a multimeter for checking connections, and some patience is all it takes. Some heatshrink tubing, some tape, etc help make nicer looking connections. The heatshrink tubing is important both to prevent shorts and to improve the physical strength of the splices. Properly applied, it holds both ends of the splice tightly, and prevents the connection from being pulled apart with use. I thought about trying the homemade cable referenced by Scorpion, but pFranc sells real connectors so cheaply I went that way. I bought 3 eTrex connectors for very little (can't remember the exact price from 3 or 4 years ago) and they were well worth the money.

This isn't for everyone, of course, but I've been doing it for decades, and don't give it a second thought. I rarely buy expensive cables, preferring to make my own if possible. Sometimes it's not worth the trouble, but often it is.

Edited by NightPilot