Fishiam archiving his caches

Lizzy

I just got an email inbox full of archive notices for Fishiam's caches in the Seattle area. From his logs, it sounds like sad circumstances have caused him to pull his caches. I've read quite a few topics in the forums where petty insults/malice/etc., etc. has caused people to drop out of this great, fun sport & that's a shame. I've not been able to cache in the Seattle area yet, but his caches sounded very interesting and would have been fun to find. It's sad to see those caches archived & fishiam stop caching (which is what I think he intends).

Not knowing Fishiam but knowing the feeling of wanting to throw in the towel on caching....maybe he will take a little time off, decide that caching can be a fun, solo exercise and slowly get back into it, maybe with the "friendly" people who can help him ignore the jerks. Maybe even change his name/identity and continue to cache with a low profile. Hide caches under a pseudonym. Maybe Not log caches at all.

Just some thoughts to consider Fishiam.

I am looking at caches placed on Fishiam’s profile page and I don’t see anything unusual happening. Which caches are being archived?

Wienerdog

Well GCYAFT, GCXT12, GCVKA5, GCQE5G....etc., etc. Adding up to eleven pulled yesterday. Reading his log on GCYAFG gave me pause. After posting this topic, I was viewing the new caches popping up and I saw this cache listed: GCZXJK. It may or may not be related, but if it is, I can understand some of the hard feelings.

I am looking at caches placed on Fishiam’s profile page and I don’t see anything unusual happening. Which caches are being archived?

Wienerdog

Well GCYAFT, GCXT12, GCVKA5, GCQE5G....etc., etc. Adding up to eleven pulled yesterday. Reading his log on GCYAFG gave me pause. After posting this topic, I was viewing the new caches popping up and I saw this cache listed: GCZXJK. It may or may not be related, but if it is, I can understand some of the hard feelings.

I hope its not related to the new cache. If it's a joke or intended to be malicious, I don't get it.

I just want to chime in and say that I hope it isn't true that Fishiam is leaving the game. It is a loss to those of us who have enjoyed his hides and caches.

I just want to chime in and say that I hope it isn't true that Fishiam is leaving the game. It is a loss to those of us who have enjoyed his hides and caches.

Hmmm - anyone ask fishiam directly?

I've adopted two of his caches here in Alaska (placed on one of his frequent work visits). All his Alaska hides were quickly adopted by locals because we've enjoyed the twisty puzzles and sense of humor he brought North. His style has helped us develop a higher level of excellence in urban caching here, and has assisted in the placement of more caches accessible to our one-day visitors who can't get to the full-sized caches in the bigger parks on the fringes of town. I've thoroughly enjoyed the pleasure of fishiam's company while caching some of Anchorage's prettier places, and if he's leaving the game I'll miss those 'future opportunities'... so I totally agree with Blue Power Ranger.

One of the dangers inherent in a game like geocaching, where much or most of the human interaction occurs on the internet, is the possibility for unintentional (or intentional) remarks that disparage another player. TotemLake rightly responds that 'teflon coating is the armor of choice' - but the burden of wearing armor to play a game that's supposed to be delightful and fun wears thin after a bit (too much like "work" for me).

I like the 'Thumper Rule' from the movie 'Bambi' - a Golden Rule variant - and apply it to my comments about other folks: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." If there's an issue, deal with the other person directly... and keep it out of the posts where other folks who aren't involved might possibly misconstrue the remark or miss the 'joke' completely.

I see that part of the description in the new cache I mentioned above has been changed since this morning - does not seem as malicious now. Hope this change helps sooth ruffled feathers, if that was the case. I don't know Fishiam, so would not be comfortable writing him directly to ask what happened. Just had to say how sad I was that a good cache owner had turned sour on the game.

Hello all,

This forum topic was brought to my attention and I feel somewhat embarrassed that my geocide (yes, that's what it is) has been made so public. A confluence of events has led to this and I'd rather not get into details as to why it has happened. The time has come for me to move on - I had a great deal of fun caching, and especially group caching and placing caches the past two years. The past few months, not so fun. I would archive all my caches today except that I don't want to be accused of leaving geolitter so I am archiving as I am able to go and remove my caches (and I have a lot to remove). On this plus side, it opens a big chunk of Seattle to new caches. I truly appreciate the email I've received from so many local cachers, the really warm note from Northwes (I loved caching in Alaska!) and I in no way want to discourage the continuation of geocaching as a family friendly sport. I plan on attending (2nd Annual Tiresome Usual Suspects' BrewHaHa) and hoisting a final brew with many of you. Meanwhile, please let things on this subject dissipate. I appreciate the great times I had with so many of you.

cheers

Steven (fish)

This may be considered a little rough by some, but his isn't the first geocide and certainly won't be the last.

I don't see that assessment as too rough. It's true.

Frankly, what this cacher is doing is pathetic. In real life, we rarely see well-adjusted adults spaz out in this way. Online, for some reason, there seems to be a temptation for some to throw a colossal conniption fit, apparently in hopes that people will affirm their existence and beg them to come back. I don't care one way or the other, except that due to the normally useful Groundspeak notification system, I've been subjected to at least 25 of this guy's petulant archiving notices in the last two days. Maybe there ought to be a means for people to geocide (archive all their caches and, hey, close out their account for good) by clicking a button, triggering one notification, rather than subjecting people to this ad nauseum negativity and intentional drama. Of course, a great percentage of people who pull this stunt online are back within a few weeks, meaning the drama was all for naught and likely to be repeated again the next time the person gets a bee in their bonnet.

I guess the way I see it, it's certainly legitimate to lose interest in caching and decide to archive your caches. To attribute that to the actions of some other person (however obnoxious - or non-"peace-mongering" - they may be) is a cop-out. If you want to keep caching, you will. This course of action appears to be intended to generate this very thread.

Hello all,

This forum topic was brought to my attention and I feel somewhat embarrassed that my geocide (yes, that's what it is) has been made so public. A confluence of events has led to this and I'd rather not get into details as to why it has happened. The time has come for me to move on - I had a great deal of fun caching, and especially group caching and placing caches the past two years. The past few months, not so fun. I would archive all my caches today except that I don't want to be accused of leaving geolitter so I am archiving as I am able to go and remove my caches (and I have a lot to remove). On this plus side, it opens a big chunk of Seattle to new caches. I truly appreciate the email I've received from so many local cachers, the really warm note from Northwes (I loved caching in Alaska!) and I in no way want to discourage the continuation of geocaching as a family friendly sport. I plan on attending (2nd Annual Tiresome Usual Suspects' BrewHaHa) and hoisting a final brew with many of you. Meanwhile, please let things on this subject dissipate. I appreciate the great times I had with so many of you.

cheers

Steven (fish)

Cool. If you have caches you would like to see stay in place, you might want to consider adopting them out. Seriously.

Hello Fishiam...Reading some of the first archive logs, it didn't appear that you were 'quietly' stepping away from geocaching. I just thought it was a shame to see you and your caches go, hence this topic. My sincere apologies if this public discussion has brought you any distress.