anyone ever use a handheld metal detector to find a small cache in a bush or brush?

djstretch

i was thinking of the type that people use to search you with at the airport or clubs

i've looked at the Garrett THD and think it could make searching in a bush or alot of brush easier

alot of caches around where i live are all hidden in a patch of small bushes and i'm having a hard time finding some

let me know what you think

The handhelds are not as sensitive as a treasure hunting models, but since most micros use Altoids tins which use ether tin or aluminum, it should pick up ok but if the cache is Tupperware it won't be very helpful, unless it's stuffed with toy cars

Edit:

the Garretts are great handhelds, I use them at work, it will be more than capable of handling the abuse it will get geocaching

Edit again: this is the model I use at work

http://www.garrett.com/security/products/superscanner.htm

and this is the one djstretch is talking about

http://www.garrett.com/security/products/thd.htm

I like the fact that it has a flashlight and it's not obviously a metal detector, I'd say go for it

Edited by LoneHowler

It would also pick up a cache with a pen (metal tip) or a quarter or pin in it too. I would stick it in the geo bag/purse or at least the trunk/backseat if you can. I sometimes bring stuff on caching trips and leave it in the car until needed. (Duct Tape, Broomstick, Rope, ball of String, plastic bucket, milk crate,change of shoes, rubber boots, bug spray,....) You never know what you might need. A metal detector sounds like an accessory to bring along occasionally. Why not?

around here i have seen magnetic keyholders hidden in bushes

they have metal that attaches the magnet to the plastic container

also found some metal tubes tied to limbs inside bush or to a tree limb

i've been looking for one around a local bus stop that i'm thinking is in one of about 30 small bushes

i really like the Garrett THD because of the compact size, it will not stand out too much if i have it

most people will mistake it for a maglite

It would also pick up a cache with a pen (metal tip) or a quarter or pin in it too. I would stick it in the geo bag/purse or at least the trunk/backseat if you can. I sometimes bring stuff on caching trips and leave it in the car until needed. (Duct Tape, Broomstick, Rope, ball of String, plastic bucket, milk crate,change of shoes, rubber boots, bug spray,....) You never know what you might need. A metal detector sounds like an accessory to bring along occasionally. Why not?

Like I said hand helds are not as sensitive as ground searching devises, they are good for finding the tiniest bit of metal on a persons body but that at only a couple of inches away, a foot or two with lots of ground cover and brush in the way it's not likely to pick up on a pen nib or a coin or two

i'm not referring to ground searching, i'm referring to taking the handheld unit and maybe sticking it into a shrub or waving it over and around the edges

has anyone tried this anyway?

does anyone have a handheld unit to try out? how many inches will they pick up away from item

why would someone carry a metal detector with them for finding a cache, i thought you couldn't bury them

does anyone wave their metal detector over bushes anyway, aren't they used for items on the top of the ground or under dirt or fallen leaves

just looking for some advice before i spend any money

thanks for your replies