Waterproof Maps

kanakajeep

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured paper is kind of soft :( . I wanted to to print custom maps from my ink jet and take them into the field. As inkjet documents run/bleed quite easily when exposed to moisture I am looking for a way to produce weatherproof/waterproof maps. I read about National Geographic Adventure Paper, and that looks good. It's a bit pricey, and there's no local oultet here, but it's got a lot going for it. I was just wondering if anyone had more economic alternatives.

You might consider using vinyl map protector sleeves sold at most outdoor and some marine stores. I have two sizes, one full sheet size and one half sheet size (this size gets a lot of use as I can just turn it over to see the rest of the page). Saves buying specialized paper.

Hey Quoddy, you got a good resource for this type of sleeve? I googled but couldn't seem to find anything along that line.

Edited by haffy

I have used regular paper in lightweight sheet protectors and never really had any issue in a decent amount of rain and they were fairly cheap a couple of bucks for a pack of 50 once I put the map in I tape the top shut.They are lightweight enough to fold with the paper.I did this because most of the maps I use are temporary usually just used for that hike or weekend trip.So far this

has worked well for me and mostly just tried it since I already had the protectors from something else.

No matter what waterproof paper you purchase (I use Xerox brand bought at Staples)

s0133470_std.jpg, you need to remember that they only work with lazer printers!!!! Your inkjet will run and smear when you print on waterproof paper. I print on plain paper and then take it to work and use the lazer jet to copy on to the waterproof paper.

ImpalaBob :o

Thanks everyone for all the replies. They will give me a lot to experiment with to find out which will work best for my applications. Perhaps I will submit a review of all of these methods as well as a suggestion from a local map dealer - spray paper maps with water sealant. I'll probably use a combination of several suggestions.

For prelimiary map development I'll prabably use paper maps in a ziploc or map protector sleves. I already use the "Poor Man's PDA" - cache page printous in a ziploc. It's a little clumsy, but I feel more comfortable using that then the electronic versions while in the rain, or damp cave, or crossing rivers on slippery rocks, etc.

Final versions of maps developed with Delorme Topo USA, along with new trails, comentaries, photos, and other data I'll print on either Adventure Paper or the iGage media. These will be for distribution to various end users including boy scout leaders, fellow hikers, and possibly the local DLNR.

No matter what waterproof paper you purchase (I use Xerox brand bought at Staples)

s0133470_std.jpg, you need to remember that they only work with lazer printers!!!! Your inkjet will run and smear when you print on waterproof paper. I print on plain paper and then take it to work and use the lazer jet to copy on to the waterproof paper.

ImpalaBob :huh:

Well, that may be true for others, but not for the National Geographic paper! I sell it where I work, and I printed a map on my Canon inkjet printer and put it in a Nalgene water bottle full of water for display at our store. That was 3 years ago! It still looks perfect there in the water.

You might consider using vinyl map protector sleeves sold at most outdoor and some marine stores. I have two sizes, one full sheet size and one half sheet size (this size gets a lot of use as I can just turn it over to see the rest of the page). Saves buying specialized paper.

Hey Quoddy, you got a good resource for this type of sleeve? I googled but couldn't seem to find anything along that line.

Sure do, John. Try EMS, that's where I got mine.

Check this out- I have no idea how it performs, just found the link. http://casanovasadventures.com/catalog/maps/p1320.htm

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured paper is kind of soft :o . I wanted to to print custom maps from my ink jet and take them into the field. As inkjet documents run/bleed quite easily when exposed to moisture I am looking for a way to produce weatherproof/waterproof maps. I read about National Geographic Adventure Paper, and that looks good. It's a bit pricey, and there's no local oultet here, but it's got a lot going for it. I was just wondering if anyone had more economic alternatives.