Garmin again delays Mac Support

Garmin had promised Mac support by Christmas 06 since their usb drivers do not work with Mac even with Virtual PC Windows on Mac. But just got this reply from Garmin:

" To follow up, as far as I know, corporate is planning on making a

statement on this support. I know this much, Garmin will be supporting our

Fitness devices and its software on the Mac Platform very soon; Spring '07

at the latest. At this time, we will be announcing a forecast on when our

Outdoor and Automotive units will be available to interface with Mac, and I

hoping it will not take the full '07 fiscal year. I am hoping late spring

at the latest."

Travelinterrriers :(

I'm probably not going to have much to support maps, but I do have a OSX Geocache Manager (and its free.)

I noticed the slipping release dates from Garmin and decided to write my own.

Since I use GPSBabel to communicate with the GPS, I support practically anything they do. I've tested mine with serial-based units (several models) and a USB unit (StreetPilot). GPSBabel doesn't need drivers in OSX to communicate with the GPSr, so I don't either... :o

MacCaching is more than just a "GUI Front-end" to gpsbabel.

I plan to add iPod syncing (for Paperless caches) in the next release, which should be in the next couple of days. I'm targetting Christmas, but it might be a day or two after.

Edited by cmiyc

Hey, I'm a little ticked at Garmin as well ( hope they read this ). I just bought a new 60Cx and dropped their tech service a note asking about the Mac drivers. My answer was go buy Virtual PC. Hey Garmin, get in gear, i don't want to buy Virtual PC. Do what you said, even if it is a year late. :)

Do some research before running out and buying VPC. I have not tried to install MapSource and sync to my garmin, but I seem to recall doing some reading about a year ago that this would not work with VPC 7, but people could use VPC 6. I don't recall the specifics, as I just decided to buy a native Mac program to use for transferring waypoints & tracks.

I have not purchased any mapsource maps yet, and plan (hope) to wait until Garmin actually does release a Mac version. We'll see on that one.

Since I already have VPC 7 installed for other reasons, Maybe I'll try installing MapSource just for grins and see what happens.

Do some research before running out and buying VPC. I have not tried to install MapSource and sync to my garmin, but I seem to recall doing some reading about a year ago that this would not work with VPC 7, but people could use VPC 6. I don't recall the specifics, as I just decided to buy a native Mac program to use for transferring waypoints & tracks.

I have not purchased any mapsource maps yet, and plan (hope) to wait until Garmin actually does release a Mac version. We'll see on that one.

Since I already have VPC 7 installed for other reasons, Maybe I'll try installing MapSource just for grins and see what happens.

If you have an Intel Mac - try Parallels (www.parallels.com) - much, MUCH better than VPC, and offers very good support for Serial/USB adaptors.