A question on DX0161

vagabond

This is the sheet for DX0161 but the disk that I found in that location is different

and it was the only disk I could see any ideas. Hope I'm not missing something.

Edit to add this is on the disk

Reference Mark

HEMET 1931

M.W.D. OF SC

AZI MK NO3

I know its a az mark and its no3 but I haven't been able to locate it and I have the Riverside county sheet. The mark on the disk is a gouge or slice and it is at the edge of the curb.

Thanks in advance.

Al

http://img.geocaching.com/benchmark/lg/d72...5e5f9b4414e.jpg

Edited by vagabond

Vagabond-

What you found was this: DX5659

The tri-station it serves is on Park Hill about a mile to the east. Not surprisingly, it is not in the scaled location given in the geocaching database. It appears to be very close to DX0161, although the latter's elevation is 2 feet higher and it is 4 feet closer to Menlo Ave. and 19.5 feet closer to San Jacinto St. It is set in a concrete post of undetermined height.

You can't rely on coordinates when they are listed as scaled. Post your handheld coords for DX5659 for future reference.

Hopefully you can find DX0161 nearby. Good Luck!

Vagabond-

What you found was this: DX5659

The tri-station it serves is on Park Hill about a mile to the east. Not surprisingly, it is not in the scaled location given in the geocaching database. It appears to be very close to DX0161, although the latter's elevation is 2 feet higher and it is 4 feet closer to Menlo Ave. and 19.5 feet closer to San Jacinto St. It is set in a concrete post of undetermined height.

You can't rely on coordinates when they are listed as scaled. Post your handheld coords for DX5659 for future reference.

Hopefully you can find DX0161 nearby. Good Luck!

I wasn't relying on the coords because I knew they were scaled I was going strictly by the directions on the sheet and thats what threw me, if I'd gone by the coords I would have been about a half a block south and on the east side of the street. Oh well the mystry is solved thanks for the help.

I'll be up there again in Jan. and look further for DX0161.

Maybe I just had tunnel vision after spotting the disk and couldn't see anything else. Like can't see the forest for the trees.LOL ain't this fun

My mistake on the elevation difference between DX5659 and DX0161. There's less than 0.2' difference. I was looking at the wrong datum for DX5659. Also, if the mark you found is at the edge of the curb for Menlo Ave., then DX0161 may have been lost to construction as it is described as being 4 feet closer to the centerline of Menlo Ave. than DX5659.

FYI, "Vagabond," you can search the Geocaching.com database by designation. For instance, if you find an unknown mark and can't seem to find it through a coordinates search, you can try searching for its name; in this case, "HEMET."

Also, it was lucky that this reference mark had its own entry in the NGS database. Oftentimes they don't; they're just listed on the datasheet for the main mark. But...all is not lost in those cases, either! For example, you know from the name on this mark that it's an RM for a station called "HEMET." So a search for HEMET in the database would allow you to find the master datasheet and get the information on the RMs.

Patty