Ancient Cultures series

LadeBear68

Is anyone familiar with this series? I was looking at geocoins on ebay today and noticed that someone is putting out an Ancient Culture series with a totem pole and an Aztec clock. There were only 100 of each design made and it appears that they are coming from the Texas area.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Is anyone familiar with this series? ... it appears that they are coming from the Texas area.

I wrote to ask about their Republic of Texas coins and got the impression it is not even a geocacher. Apparently they are purchasing tracking codes from gc.com, but I don't know how you can verify that they are legitimate except through feedback from buyers. I decided I had enough sources for coins that I'm not going to mess with them.

Is anyone familiar with this series? ... it appears that they are coming from the Texas area.

I wrote to ask about their Republic of Texas coins and got the impression it is not even a geocacher. Apparently they are purchasing tracking codes from gc.com, but I don't know how you can verify that they are legitimate except through feedback from buyers. I decided I had enough sources for coins that I'm not going to mess with them.

I'm also not too impressed with the coins. The ones I've seen, the backs of the coins are totally blank. They are also very pricey for what you are getting.

One cacher I know inquired about his caching name, and his reply was that he would rather not say.

As was to be expected, the popularity of geocoins, and potential to make a nice profit is drawing attention from outside the "hobby". GC.com isn't in a position to deny anyone the opportunity to purchase codes. It's good for their business, although some guidelines would eventually be welcome. Regardless...once again, it's up to the geocoin community to choose whether or not to support such ventures.

The power is in your PayPal account.

Very odd! They look like a low-end variety of Crake coins and even have a similar velvet pouch that Crake puts on his high-end stuff... :o Not that Crake would ever have a low-end product...

:) Thanks...

I'll chime in on the Aztec Calendar. That design is in the public domain, so anyone can do a coin, T-Shirt, coffee mug, etc. There are some details (that I won't disclose :o in my version that makes it uniquely mine, and the back is completely mine as well. So if someone were to make an exact replica of TT then there would be concern.

The coin on ebay actually doesn't look all that bad. The colors are similar to those that might have actually been used on the original stone. The snake is interesting as well. Of course I've not held the coin in my hand so I don't know its quality.

There seems to have been some concern expressed about these coins and the seller, so I will offer my experiences

I recently bought several of the coins via eBay

Communications with the seller were fast and friendly

The coins arrived in a timely manner

They were well-packed

As for the coins, I am delighted with them

I found it especially refreshing that the two Aztec coins were completely different designs, not just the same mold with a different paint job

All-in-all, I am pleased with both the merchandise and the service

I will happily buy any other coins in the series

Bhob, I totally agree. This series is totally gorgeous. Not only the Ancient Culture series but the Funny Animal Series made by the same guy.

The coins are excellent quality, heavy and beautiful to look at. I should know, I've purchased about 40 of his coins so far.

Steve is a really nice guy, who goes out of his way to be friendly and helpful. We have exchanged quite a few emails, and I have no hesitation whatsoever in saying that these coins are spectacular.

And for some reason, they are the most popular trade item I have. Dont you find that strange? :o:(

He lists them at USD $9.99 each, it is eBayers that increase the price to the massive levels they are at.

Of course, this is just my opinion :(