Garmin: Detailed Maps Now No Navigation

BrokenSJ

I just rencently got the Garmin detailed maps for my Garmin eTrex Legend C. I installed the map of my home town. Used FIND on a cache, and told it to find it via ON ROAD. Now the thing is acting screwy!! It will start a mile away form my current position(my house on a mapped road) and then go down a highway, make a right or left turn straight to the cache.

Worked great before on the major highway.....now driving me crazy....can anyone shed any light?

Edited by BrokenSJ

I just rencently got the Garmin detailed maps for my Garmin eTrex Legend C. I installed the map of my home town. Used FIND on a cache, and told it to find it via ON ROAD. Now the thing is acting screwy!! It will start a mile away form my current position(my house on a mapped road) and then go down a highway, make a right or left turn straight to the cache.

Worked great before on the major highway.....now driving me crazy....can anyone shed any light?

What exactly is the map product you installed? City Select, City Navigator, Metro Guide, Topo?

Sounds like it is using the base map to navigate. Did you check the "Include Route Calculation Data" box at the bottom left in MapSource before you sent the detailed maps to your GPSr?

Turn OFF the "on road" option. This makes it lock onto the nearest road vs. allowing it to track precisely where you are. I never use ON ROAD, drives me nuts.
I think he meant that he is using "Follow Roads" for navigation, and not "Lock on Road" for his display setting. This is a common source of confusion.

"Lock on Roads" shouldn't matter for this question. I think Klatch nailed it. It sounds like you may have accidentally switched off "Include Route Calculation Data" in MapSource. Try re-loading the map set after making sure that box (at the bottom of the map list tab) is checked.

You guys nailed it! Too bad I cannot get this box to check. It's "greyed out" :( See atched pic

mapas0.jpg

PS. Using mapsource

Then my guess is you are using a map product that doesn't autoroute. Topo or Metroguide, e.g.

Map Source ToPo or something

That's your problem. Topo doesn't autoroute so the unit is trying to autoroute on the base map. You need City Navigator or City Select for autorouting.

Mine is also grayed out and I'm using NT v8, I don't have Topo Maps,

my GPSr is a 60Csx

The NT version of MapSource City Navigator v8 always downloads routing information to your GPSr. As a result, that box is always grayed out when you're using these maps.

--Larry

Does that hold true for City Select NT v7, because if I shift to City Select NT v7 it's also grayed out?

Edited by Jim W