a new idea perhaps

ranger216

funny thing happened to me today

I went to Pizza Hut to pick up lunch for work...

(my treat.. for the holidays)

anyway... they had a bunch of pizza cutters in a case,,

and it was :

1> a rock... the plaque said pizza cutter 100bc

2> a studded one... ad 25

3> a futuristic one--- 2045ad

and so on....

got my mind thinking of a possible geocoin set...

geocaching throughout time???

can think of some pretty funny captions..

is this a stupid idea?

feedback please

Edited by ranger216

That could be an interesting set.

yeah... my mind is thinking like.. maybe Sherlock Holmes.. searching for the cache

or Ben Franklin... standing on an ammo can... flying his kite..

LOL

I don't know if I would call that a caching through time coin though. That would be more of a historical persons of great importance coin set. When I think of caching through time, I think more of a 5 gallon bucket

(something of the original stash), through something like a holographic cache?

I think that would be pretty neat. You are right, without satellites there would be no geocaching. It was Bill Clinton who unlocked the satellites for public use, wasn't it?

then we need to give him credit... with the date also...

the date of the birth of WAAS

A coin with Billy Clinton on it......... Count me out

I think that would be pretty neat. You are right, without satellites there would be no geocaching. It was Bill Clinton who unlocked the satellites for public use, wasn't it?

Ditto... :o

Well, it was his administration. I doubt if it was his personal decision. He probably wouldn't recognize a GPSr if someone hit him over the head with one. :)

Which brings up the thought, what did cause the change? Who said, "Hey we should turn off SLA and let civilian units use the satelites without scrambling." Were there groups, organizations, Garmin, Magellan, etc. who hounded the government for the change? :o

The one we should be thanking is probably a nameless peon who suggested it to his/her boss, who passed it up the chain, etc. :o

Windrose

Sorry for the OT, I started thinking about it and wondering.

During the Gulf War, the shortage of military GPS units and the wide availability of civilian ones among personnel resulted in a decision to disable Selective Availability. This was ironic, as SA had been introduced specifically for these situations, allowing friendly troops to use the signal for accurate navigation, while at the same time denying it to the enemy. But since SA was also denying the same accuracy to thousands of friendly troops, turning it off or setting it to a error of 0 meters (effectively the same thing) presented a clear benefit.

I don't know how accurate the above is, but I had heard it before, this is quoted from Wikipedia. I had also heard that it was the pressure from the FAA.

So maybe we should be thanking Saddam :o

Edited by prntr1
During the Gulf War, the shortage of military GPS units and the wide availability of civilian ones among personnel resulted in a decision to disable Selective Availability. This was ironic, as SA had been introduced specifically for these situations, allowing friendly troops to use the signal for accurate navigation, while at the same time denying it to the enemy. But since SA was also denying the same accuracy to thousands of friendly troops, turning it off or setting it to a error of 0 meters (effectively the same thing) presented a clear benefit.

I don't know how accurate the above is, but I had heard it before, this is quoted from Wikipedia. I had also heard that it was the pressure from the FAA.

So maybe we should be thanking Saddam :o

Or at least the military's shortage / government's lack of planning.

Windrose

I have often wondered that myself...

well just glad it happened... and we probably will never know who the real hero of that was

Well, it was his administration. I doubt if it was his personal decision. He probably wouldn't recognize a GPSr if someone hit him over the head with one. :o

Which brings up the thought, what did cause the change? Who said, "Hey we should turn off SLA and let civilian units use the satelites without scrambling." Were there groups, organizations, Garmin, Magellan, etc. who hounded the government for the change? :)

The one we should be thanking is probably a nameless peon who suggested it to his/her boss, who passed it up the chain, etc. :o

Windrose

Sorry for the OT, I started thinking about it and wondering.

I think I'd pass on the series. Seems like trying to force an idea onto a coin - instead of having a good idea to run with.

Your opinion may vary.

I agree with the wrinkled, gray one. Its a real stretch.

yeah .. you are right

been a little too much nonsense stuff of late..

but as I said in the beginning.. was only an idea...

for discussion...in the forums.. which are for discussions

lol... brings me shudders just thinking about it..lol