Scouting camera near cache site?

kingsting

Has anybody tried placing one of these near a hide in the woods?

Stealth cam scouting camera

I've been tempted to buy one of these things and place it near a remote hide. It would automatically take pictures of any cachers that are searchng for the cache. I've seen them as low as $29.00 and I might end up with some amusing photos. I guess I would have to label it "Not a geocache" so it doesn't get ripped to pieces by cachers trying to open it.

Don't know if it's been done, it's certainly been talked about here in the forums.

My suggestion is place a camera in the cache and let those who choose to take a pic.

Pics of random unidentifiable cachers taken unaware would benefit you how?

Except for the few cachers you know there would be no way to match pics to logs, so it would be like standing on a street corner taking pics of passerby!

Bad idea.

Ed

Did you fully read the camera's description? 35mm instead of digital so you have film developing costs. 8 AA batteries that would last 3 weeks, so you would have to get out there at least that often to change the batteries. I would think this could become a very expensive operation! I would vote no from a practical standpoint.

I LOVE those pictures taken by scouting cameras that you see in the National Geographic magazine from time to time - shots of leopards with a frozen look of surprise on their face as the flash goes off in the middle of the night - funny how there's never a second photo... <_<

I badly wanted to do that on a night cache, but haven't quite figured out how to keep it a surprise & keep it from being destroyed by surprised cachers/moose/bears/muggles. :ph34r:

Like a primitive no-talkie Borat meets Geocaching kind of photo thing... only I'd want to hear what the surprised cacher was saying as they attempted to recover from having light daggers thrust into their retinas...

I think it might well be a violation of the terms of use of the website. If you took a picture of me unawares at a cache, as part of the cache set up - and I became awares, I'd report it as such.

(j) "Stalk," harass, or otherwise harm another Site user.

(k) Collect or store personal data about other Site users.

It strikes me as both a form of stalking, and certainly collecting personal data.

I don't like it, can you tell? <_<

I think it might well be a violation of the terms of use of the website. If you took a picture of me unawares at a cache, as part of the cache set up - and I became awares, I'd report it as such.

It strikes me as both a form of stalking, and certainly collecting personal data.

I think it's a breach of ettiquette, but not necesarily of law.

Like stars that can't leave their home wihout being beseiged by paparazzi (who are only one small step above muggers in my opinion!) you lose your expectation of privacy when you play a public game like this.

A friend of mine takes pictures to make into postcards for retail sales. He tells me that's why he doesn't need a release from the individuals depicted on a public beach or crowd shots at a park.

Ed

I think it's a breach of ettiquette, but not necesarily of law.

Like stars that can't leave their home wihout being beseiged by paparazzi (who are only one small step above muggers in my opinion!) you lose your expectation of privacy when you play a public game like this.

A friend of mine takes pictures to make into postcards for retail sales. He tells me that's why he doesn't need a release from the individuals depicted on a public beach or crowd shots at a park.

Ed

Aside from the practical standpoint, you coul certainly put one out. DEFINITELY post notice on the cache page tho. In Large bold print. Just in case...

--MGb

....near a remote hide. It would automatically take pictures of any cachers ....

It's the remote hide part that makes this inappropriate, at least in my view, and that makes it a violation of the terms of use. If the hide is on a busy corner, or a public beach, you have no expectation of privacy - but using a geocache to lure people to a remote site and take a picture? If it's on the cache page that there's a hidden camera around, the cacher is forewarned, no problem.

I think it's an interesting idea...but all it takes is one picture of somebody picking their nose (or butt) and you're going to get complaints. Or worse yet...you may end up getting a picture of somebody "doing their business" out in the woods...which would probably lead to a destroyed scouting camera.

I think it's an interesting idea...but all it takes is one picture of somebody picking their nose (or butt) and you're going to get complaints. Or worse yet...you may end up getting a picture of somebody "doing their business" out in the woods...which would probably lead to a destroyed scouting camera.

Not to mention all the random pictures of squirrels that you would have.....

Well, it seemed like it might be a fun idea at first but the majority of you think it might be more trouble thatn it's worth. Naming the cache "paparazzi" would have been cool though...

Love the name. I think it is a great idea as long as you post the "Photo will be taken" on the cache page.

And another note if you planned to ever post the pics on websites....

Very creative idea though.